New RQ rules : Lhankor Mhy and Runic magic?

Haimji

I would assume the HeroQuest writeup in Sartar:KoH is still fairly true - they have access to  both Rune Magic (through the Truth rune), and also access sorcery. There are almost certainly sages who do not know any sorcery and act purely as lawspeakers and holders of clan knowledge without the more metaphysical and magic focussed powers accessible via LM sorcery. 

• Like 1

Here is one to wind your head around... In the Second Age, the God Learners generally liked hero quests involving non-warlike deities, and top of the list of those who co-operated with the God Learners was the Lhankor Mhy cult.  But wait, there's more, because the God Learners put a lot of effort into understanding Dragonewts, but utterly failed, because humans simply don't remember reincarnating.  Now does it say anywhere that Lhankor Mhy was ever draconised ?  Because as a Lightbringer the LM cult would have been operating within the EWF.  Did the EWF consider them dissidents at the time?  Or was Delecti not actually a Vivamort worshipper, but a Lhankor Mhite with sorcery and dragon magic and a thesis in anatomical manipulation ?

15 minutes ago, Darius West said:

Here is one to wind your head around... In the Second Age, the God Learners generally liked hero quests involving non-warlike deities, and top of the list of those who co-operated with the God Learners was the Lhankor Mhy cult.  But wait, there's more, because the God Learners put a lot of effort into understanding Dragonewts, but utterly failed, because humans simply don't remember reincarnating.  Now does it say anywhere that Lhankor Mhy was ever draconised ?  Because as a Lightbringer the LM cult would have been operating within the EWF.  Did the EWF consider them dissidents at the time?  Or was Delecti not actually a Vivamort worshipper, but a Lhankor Mhite with sorcery and dragon magic and a thesis in anatomical manipulation ?

My take is that they had similar methods but different objectives.  LM seeks knowledge for knowledge's sake; the EWF wanted to change the worlds.  At worst, I would think that the EWF considered the LM cult a useful and innocuous tool.

It's pretty much the same deal with Delecti.  Vivamort offered a relatively simple path to immortality, as long as one could overcome or ignore the ethical issues.  Why reinvent the wheel when it was already there for the taking?

• Like 1

A fair point, only we know that Delecti was deeply involved in some fairly disgusting experiments regarding vivisculpting, and the Beast men of Beastman Valley are essentially the descendants of Delecti's horriffic "Island of Dr. Moreau-esque" zoo. Clearly he was morbidly doodling with body parts, and that normally means looking for a way to defeat death.  Now Delecti was a God Learner, so whether he ever really worshiped anyone but the Invisible God is up for grabs.  I get the distinct impression that Vivamort was a cult he found useful for his followers, but not for himself.

• Like 1

Another connection which could explain it:  Delecti would almost certainly have been an Illuminate (or partaking of draconic consciousness, whatever you want to call it).  In that case he could easily have taken what he needed from whatever cult he wanted, although I would think Vivamort would be a pretty serious enemy to make.

Edited by Yelm's Light
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Darius West said:

For extra bonus points, who were the only humans to survive the Dragonkill in Dragon Pass? (Delecti wasn't human by then, but immortal).

Personally, and of course my Glorantha may vary, I think an Orlanthi tribe survived by becoming ducks at the moment Delecti cast his spell.  I think the Godlearners may have had something to do with that, changing the entire myths, but the ducks mythology is suspiciously Orlanthi.  In my Glorantha, that's because they were Orlanthi and that's how they survived the Dragonkill.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Personally, and of course my Glorantha may vary, I think an Orlanthi tribe survived by becoming ducks at the moment Delecti cast his spell.  I think the Godlearners may have had something to do with that, changing the entire myths, but the ducks mythology is suspiciously Orlanthi.  In my Glorantha, that's because they were Orlanthi and that's how they survived the Dragonkill.

XD : I really love the idea... "Your choice my friend is being eaten by dragons and monsters OR becoming a duck for eternity (worst curse of Glorantha)." As Ducks are cursed being from betraying Yelm, Some humans could effectively use this myth to escape death and be cursed instead. But they may just "being duck" in front of strangers and still being human between their own kin. Which could explain the ducks masks later used by humans to not being eaten by Delecti monsters.

4 hours ago, Darius West said:

For extra bonus points, who were the only humans to survive the Dragonkill in Dragon Pass? (Delecti wasn't human by then, but immortal).

Probably the humans who side with dragons, in True Golden Horde VS Dragons, there was an army of 20,000 Uz and 45,000 humans who side with Dragon (Glorantha Wikia).

In My Glorantha : They are probably like Ingolf's followers, Not part of EWF but following their own Dragon's Way without trying to change or influence dragonic beings, they just accept the dragon(ewt) as they are. Dragon(ewt)s are no pure alien minded for me but they follow the "will of the cosmic dragon", the true will of the "Dragon Rune" which like a river can take differents and stranges roads/patterns. They don't try to go somewhere or achieve something but just follow and obey the flow and evolve as they live ... sometimes it take aeons, sometimes centuries and sometimes they change side in the middle of a battle because this a the "Will of the Ouroboros".

In this Point of view : EWF try to change or achieve something ... BAD ! ==> Destroy ! but Lhankhor MHY just try to accumulate knowledge... not BAD ==> not to Destroy ! As usual if the Lhankor MHY accept to hidden their discoveries, blue-moon trolls will let them by-passing, if not "brain reset". Lhhhankhor MHY give access to any form of magic depending of the era, the vibe : Runic Magic for everyone and sorcery / spirit / "anylocal magic that is not chaotic".

Edited by MJ Sadique
Unreadable

6 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Also explaining some of the distinction between keets and ducks, and why it matters so much to both of them.

On 10/15/2016 at 5:50 PM, Darius West said:

The correct answer is "The Cannon Cult".  Human slaves under thrall to Osidilian in Dwarf Run who "serve the guns".

• Like 1

On 10/18/2016 at 3:01 PM, Darius West said:

The correct answer is "The Cannon Cult".  Human slaves under thrall to Osidilian in Dwarf Run who "serve the guns".

The Mystics at Old Wind would claim they have been there throughout the Second and Third Ages,

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here