RQ2 - Strike Rank Basics

Tom Whitehead

I'm still getting my head around the basics of melee in RQ2. With some missile weapons (ie. bows) it seems to be clear that you can shoot, reload then shoot again in the same melee round, as long as you have a low enough SR. So if I have a single hand weapon, say SR5 (with modifiers already applied) could I say I'm attacking twice in a melee round at SR 5 and then 10, or is it just once at SR5, with the activity taking up all the subsequent SR slots? Also, generally, can I parry whatever blows come my way in a given round, or am I limited to a single parry? Apologies if I have missed something obvious in the rules!

(To all : I propose not to start a new general discussion about SR but to stick to the OP)

There is a recent thread about that. On RQ2, you can do one single thing with one weapon in a round and within a melee : either parry or attack, with the following exceptions:

- You have 100%+ in a melee weapon

- you are using a missile weapon outside of the melee with the S/MR attribute (bow, sling)

So a 60% swordman attacking at SR 5 is done for this round with the sword.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

The rules explicitly state that you can both attack and parry in the same round with a melee weapon.  100%+ actually has nothing to do with anything, other than increasing impale and critical chances; ability to train and learning chance being INT kick in at 90%+ and ability to 'split' attacks happens at 50%+.

p. 17

MULTIPLE ACTIVITIES WITHIN MELEE

...This means that a character who starts a round physically engaged may either attack and defend normally or defend normally and attack magically.

Thus, within a melee, a character's strike rank indicates when he may initiate an attack.  However, he is considered to be performing that attack for the entire round and can do little else but parry and defend.

(bolding mine)

Edited by Yelm's Light

it does not say explicitly that he defends or parries with the same weapon (for instance if he attack magically ...). If it was the case, with 2 weapons, he would be able to attack twice and parry twice. But, p28 : Any Adventurer using a weapon in each hand may use them
for 2 attacks, 2 parries, or 1 attack and 1 parry. (so one weapon for an attack only and one for a parry only)

I don't find anymore where the "attack or parry" is written, it may be in the original Basic Role Playing instead of RQ2, but I don't have it at hand right now. However, there may have been some changes between RQ1 and 2, since in the exemples, Rurik parries and attacks in the same round indeed.

100%+ as EVERYTHING to do with splitting attacks. P. 24 : "A character may split his attacks or parries if and only if each
attack/parry is 50% or higher. Thus a character can only split
attacks or parries if he has reached 100% ability...
". Each attack shall not have less than 50%. 2x50=100, hence the required 100% threshold.

Edited by Zit

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

2 hours ago, Zit said:

100%+ as EVERYTHING to do with splitting attacks. P. 24 : "A character may split his attacks or parries if and only if each
attack/parry is 50% or higher. Thus a character can only split
attacks or parries if he has reached 100% ability...
". Each attack shall not have less than 50%. 2x50=100, hence the required 100% threshold.

Yeah, you're right there...I missed the next sentence after the 50%+ thing.