M-Space Star Frontiers?

umbraldragon

I was looking at what it might take to port star frontiers over to M-Space.  It looks like the average character stats fall into the 75 to 85 range.  Some are a little over and some a little under but for the most part, using a points buy system for stats, it looks like a very simple conversion.  I don't see why M-Space can't give some of my old Star Frontiers material new life.  Has anyone done this yet?  M-Space has all you need to run just about any sci fi campaign, so I figured "wouldn't it be cool if..." and instantly thought of a Sathar invasion all over again! Although I'll have to take a closer look at both systems (albedo screens?  energy units?) to see where there might be issues.

• Like 2

Wow, the equipment list is crazy long, I forgot about that, but I think I only have to convert the weapons.  There is a disparity there. Of course if you get hit with a laser in Star Frontiers you stand a good chance of living through it if you're not a warrior type.  You could probably survive two hits if you're a warrior type no problem.  I'll think of something.  Like 1D10 = 1D4, 2D10 = 1D6, 3D10 = 1D8, etc.

The character build was not too difficult even if you wanted to be one of the other three races - Dralasite, Yazirian, or Vrusk.  You just make the same adjustments for race (convert 5% increments to 1 point of attribute) the and use the average height and weight for calculating SIZ as published in Alpha Dawn Advanced. 

Btw, if you're an old hand at sci fi games, you probably already know that Star Frontiers is available for free download legally and that there is still a lively and active community.  I alternated between D&D and Star Frontiers back in the eighties.  The site below also publishes a magazine chock full of sci fi ideas, not just for star frontiers.

Star Frontiers

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, umbraldragon said:

Of course if you get hit with a laser in Star Frontiers you stand a good chance of living through it if you're not a warrior type.  You could probably survive two hits if you're a warrior type no problem.  I'll think of something.  Like 1D10 = 1D4, 2D10 = 1D6, 3D10 = 1D8, etc.

It really depends on how high you dial up the SEU usage with lasers, and what kind of defense you've got (albedo suit/screen). Crank it up high enough and take a few shots, or use a laser rifle with an even higher ceiling to dial up more damage, and you can insta-kill a character easily.

Reminds me of the last time I ran Star Frontiers. One of the characters was firing a heavy weapon mounted on an Explorer at a combat robot. He caught a lucky, 8-SEU shot from the robot's laser rifle and crumpled, near-death. I rolled pretty good damage on that shot and he had no real laser defense.

I'm a big fan of Star Frontiers - it was my first Scifi Rpg, 35 years ago. I've only recently purchased M-Space, so can't comment much about a conversion.

• Like 1

While not a conversion for Mythras, about 10 years ago I converted Star Frontiers when playtesting BRP. It was really just a copy-n-paste of the books with BRP conversions replacing the TSR ones. They can still be found here in the Download section if your interested. Maybe they can be of some help.

Rod

• Like 3

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

6 minutes ago, umbraldragon said:

you're right, I was thinking about a laser pistol which you can crank up to 10, but you can only do that once so most players use it one seu at a time.  About the conversion I'm creating some pre made characters for play test.  I'll post them here for anyone interested.

Depends on what the laser pistol's power source is. A powerclip's just going to give you 20-SEU - so just two high-powered shots out of it before it's depleted. But hook the laser pistol up to a beltpack or power backpack and you can get quite a few shots off.

Firing a laser pistol 1-SEU at a time would be an exercise in futility. You gotta dial that thing up to at least 3, 4, or 5 SEU if you want to have any chance of downing an alien creature or a Sathar. :)

Thanks Rod, I will look at these a bit closer later.  My students really like the Classic Fantasy and Monster Island combination.  They call it the Island of Death. LOL.  It's like the next generation's Tomb of Horrors, but better.  I was looking into Star Frontiers since it was the only "other" d100 system I had ever played.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, K Peterson said:

Depends on what the laser pistol's power source is. A powerclip's just going to give you 20-SEU - so just two high-powered shots out of it before it's depleted. But hook the laser pistol up to a beltpack or power backpack and you can get quite a few shots off.

Firing a laser pistol 1-SEU at a time would be an exercise in futility. You gotta dial that thing up to at least 3, 4, or 5 SEU if you want to have any chance of downing an alien creature or a Sathar. :)

True, those Sathar are fairly nasty gits.  And that's why you should carry extra seu packs!