Battles

Noita

On 11/17/2016 at 1:40 PM, Zit said:

I'm not sure this would anyway make an interesting game. If the PC's are just spears in the shield wall, just tell the battle and go back to role playing when it is over. I think PCs shall have someting interesting to do, like take and hold a door, infiltrate, climb a wall, find and capture a specific ennemy target, defy a ennemy champion, explore a craddle...

Yes of course.  I was really distinguishing between PC generals and PC soldiers. 

2 hours ago, fulk said:

...  I was really distinguishing between PC generals and PC soldiers. 

I would like to suggest that this entire spectrum isn't terribly appealing to most players; IME they'd rather be playing Strike-team / Special Forces sorts of characters than straightforward military.

I don't disagree with the premise that a decently-interesting and relatively-quick Mass Combat minigame -- even an entire game-session replacement of roleplay with a wargame -- might be entirely apt to Glorantha, but I think that (most of the time) the PC's probably don't belong in that engagement (as PC's).

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, g33k said:

I would like to suggest that this entire spectrum isn't terribly appealing to most players; IME they'd rather be playing Strike-team / Special Forces sorts of characters than straightforward military.

I don't disagree with the premise that a decently-interesting and relatively-quick Mass Combat minigame -- even an entire game-session replacement of roleplay with a wargame -- might be entirely apt to Glorantha, but I think that (most of the time) the PC's probably don't belong in that engagement (as PC's).

I played once what we called a "Squad Leader Dungeon". Every player played a WW2 squad leader with some specific abilities (tank driving, speak the ennemy's language...) + his own platoon. We used the Squad Leader (a tactical wargame) rules and material. It was a heavy perparation for the GM but as player I had fun. I don't know ow to use it for RQ, may be using the Heroes War and change the scale.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

It all depends.  New players (and new characters) certainly belong in the shield wall, or as skirmishers when they are just starting out.  If they take a spear in the eye at least their friends can pull them to safety and get them healing.  In this case the battlefield heroics of the champions and leaders are described, and it is a couple harsh rounds of combat and then all over pretty quickly to give everyone an idea what battle is all about in your culture.  Later, when they have proven themselves and have enough power/wisdom to handle the roles, they can step up and participate in other ways.  But I like to set up the ground rules first, so that they have something to aspire to, or avoid. 

Your Glorantha may vary, but I always try to foreshadow roles that players may want to pick up.  Sometimes it goes over like a wet duck, and they'd just rather do something else.  Other times they adventure for a bit, then it comes back around and they have clearly grown into a leadership position, and it rocks.  But to show the progression, they have to be a scrub for a least one short narrative event, unless you are starting out playing heroes and leaders.

Dissolv

The new RQ has rules for battles, and player characters will have a chance to be involved in some epic clashes in the Dragon Pass Campaign (in and around doing more usual PC type stuff). I will get Jeff to talk some more about it next time we record a ToMA episode.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1