What setting licence should Mythras get

jux

5 hours ago, Thot said:

A good license would be something that's currently a TV show, because TV shows are much like RPG campaigns, so that is the easiest port.  A good approach would thus be something that is successful on TV currently - or even stuff that is a bit older, but popular with the streaming services.

Stargate? Supernatural? True Blood?

2 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Father Ted.

We've secured the rights.

lol !!!

Just too funny :D

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

My votes (and monies) would go for:

Dune

SM Stirling's Emberverse/Nantucket settings

I've already suggested Naomi Novik's Temeraire for Renaissance

The writings of the wizard Klarkash Ton, seem a bit pulpy for Mythras, my opinion, but I'd totally go for a "dying Earth" setting, from Athas, the world of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards to Zothique.

Mythic Europe (like that first Avalon Hill version of RQ.  Same time ish as Mythic Britain or later but before it becomes generically Medieval, but rest of Europe (Barbarians and Charlemagne, Byzantium at the heights, Persians are Magians, Arabs aren't yet or are just about to hear about an-Nabi...)

• Like 1

On 3.11.2016 at 1:00 AM, Simlasa said:

Stargate? Supernatural? True Blood?

Good examples. StarGate would be particularly excellent in my personal opinion, but I believe the franchise is in limbo somehow, with no one being able to make negotiations for it.

2 hours ago, SDLeary said:

Hmmm... I would have gone for Dad's Army myself.

SDLeary

Father Ted, Dad's Army.. ?

Obviously Arkright Parellels heh heh

Yep you guys are definately building up to the dystopian future setting of 'The Worm That Turned', as seen in 'The Two Ronnies' :D

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

2 hours ago, Thot said:

Good examples. StarGate would be particularly excellent in my personal opinion, but I believe the franchise is in limbo somehow, with no one being able to make negotiations for it.

Apparently a reboot movie is planned for Stargate

Someone mentioned Möbius.... What about Valerian and Laureline?  Or the Jodoverse?  I mean Jodorowsky is probably waaaaaay easier to work with nowadays ... :| 

But there's a good amount of French Language d100 fandom, who has the gaming rights for all those French comics, ala Metal Hurlant?

• Like 2

Valerian and Laureline would be an excellent choice. One of my favorite comics of all time. The basic premises may be too similar to Luther Arkwright though. Or why not Saga (the comic)?

(OT: I spent a couple of hours in a comic book store in Paris a few weeks ago. The number of high quality comics I had never heard of was staggering...) 

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

I'm wondering how far they can take the approach they had to Luther Arkwright in introducing some other edgier comic series. I've mentioned that the 2000AD licence is up for grabs again (Judge Dredd, etc), but what about things like Grant Morrison's Invisibles or Alan Moore stuff (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, etc)? 

As with the idea of a series of Mythic Earth titles (Britain, Rome, Greece, etc), I could actually see a number of these graphic novel titles being adapted to the same system and even interact in a multiversey way. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, HeirophantX said:

Someone mentioned Möbius.... What about Valerian and Laureline?  Or the Jodoverse?  I mean Jodorowsky is probably waaaaaay easier to work with nowadays ... :| 

But there's a good amount of French Language d100 fandom, who has the gaming rights for all those French comics, ala Metal Hurlant?

Valerian and Laureline is a Dargaud comics, and all the others are from les Humanoïdes Associés. As far as I know, no RPG company in France is rich enough to hold the rights to publish adaptations of those games.

As a matter of fact, Jodorowsky's name has been associated with 2 roleplaying games:

-Aleph Tau : This comic, based on a story by Jodorowsky, was sold inb the 80s with a booklet containing one of the first versions of SimulacreS

-La Caste des Métabarons : The game from West End Games, produced when Les Humanoïdes owned the company.

Some other french comics were adaptated into RPGs:

-Le Jeu de Rôle des Contrées Oubliées : based on a comic by Chevalier & Segur, which was a revolution in its time (EDIT: the comic, not the game).

-Donjon : based on a semi-satirical comic by Johan Sfar, that draws inspirations from D&D and RuneQuest (you see broos in this game, and the hero is a Duck). The system is ultra-light.

-Lanfeust le Jeu de rôle : based on a simplified version of d20.

All were done by the original publishers of the comics, and were big hits in terms of french RPG sales (I think ~10.000 units each). But not good enough for comic publishers...

All this talk about french comics reminded me of la Quête de l'Oiseau du Temps. I would love a game set in this universe. But as far as I know, a lot of people asked Letendre and Loisel the rights to create a RPG based on it, and they always declined.

Edited by Mugen

Guest Vile Traveller
2 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

I'm wondering how far they can take the approach they had to Luther Arkwright in introducing some other edgier comic series.

Laser Eraser and Axel Pressbutton! There's no edgier cleaver in comics.

axel%20pressbutton%20set%20006.jpg

Edited by Vile

2 hours ago, Mugen said:

All this talk about french comics reminded me of la Quête de l'Oiseau du Temps. I would love a game set in this universe. But as far as I know, a lot of people asked Letendre and Loisel the rights to create a RPG based on it, and they always declined.

Reading that series is one of my most cherished childhood memories (although some elements were quite disturbing to me back then) - and it still holds up today; I tend to re-read it every few years. The prequels that have come out in the last few years are not that great, but also pretty good ...

Anyway, I'd say these books would be a perfect Mythras. Lots of weird races and creatures, strange magic, a gritty swords&sorcery feel with regards to combat and death ... and the story has a very tragic element to it, which should also work well with Mythras, since it lends itself to bad and tragic stuff just happening to PCs.

<sigh>

All this discussion is actually WAY off-base (not to mention a bit silly).  Design Mechanism needs a Licensed Setting that expands the market and the customer base, moves in bold new directions (for example, WW pulled in the too-cool-for-nerdy-RPGs crowd of angsty-goth fashionista tween/teen/20something's with V:tM, and roared up from an interesting little niche house to one of the industry heavyweights).

DM/Mythras needs a similarly-bold move, with such products as (hidden as white-on-white): Barney the Purple Dinosaur, or SpongeBob Squarepants

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig