Any news on the launch of the new RQ?

smiorgan

No recent news, that I've seen; I presume the notes&vids from Essen/Kraken are the most-recent stuff.

Breath-holding is not advised (not even under the new "Rune Affinities" rules).  Over on the "I wish for BRP Essentials to be ..." thread, @Rick Meints said:

... plus we WILL be publishing a RuneQuest Quickstart in the first half of 2017 and it will do likewise.  

I suspect that the Quickstart he mentions will be out immediately following (or even simultaneous with) the core rules, to maximize player accessibility.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

I suspect that the Quickstart he mentions will be out immediately following (or even simultaneous with) the core rules, to maximize player accessibility.

Either that, or the RQ Quickstart comes out closely followed by a kickstarter project to do the hardcover book set of the full RQ core rules.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

2 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Either that, or the RQ Quickstart comes out closely followed by a kickstarter project to do the hardcover book set of the full RQ core rules.

That seems likely; in fact, QS release might be timed to occur just before the Final-48 push on KS (or maybe 72h...) .   It'll amp up the excitement, demonstrate Chaosium commitment, help the fanbase endure the inevitable wait, etc etc etc...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

The RQ Core Rules are currently in final editing and art commissioning. The Bestiary is the next to turn over to editing and art has already started on it. I'm working on the Gamemaster Book and the Dragon Pass Campaign book next along with the team. When RuneQuest is launched it is going to be released with a large number of products - I don't want to just release a rules book and then dribble out new product. Prior to launch, we'll have the RQ Quickstart rules ready.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Jeff said:

The RQ Core Rules are currently in final editing and art commissioning. The Bestiary is the next to turn over to editing and art has already started on it. I'm working on the Gamemaster Book and the Dragon Pass Campaign book next along with the team. When RuneQuest is launched it is going to be released with a large number of products - I don't want to just release a rules book and then dribble out new product. Prior to launch, we'll have the RQ Quickstart rules ready.

Well.  DAY-um.

That looks... DAY-um.

I'm trying to envision how you could make this MORE tempting/appealing.  I don't see it.  This looks like everything I want !

Two questions:

1. Have you decided if this will be a "regular" launch or a Kickstarter campaign?
  2. Will there be other "Campaign Books" (Esrolia, Lunar Empire, or even further afield... e.g. Pent, Kralorela, Seshnela, etc)?  I know many folks like those "ultra-exotic" regions...

Whatever the answers, BTW -- I remain IMPRESSED !

C'es ne pas un .sig

Yes this is welcome news indeed.

A Quickstart rules followed by a three book set of core rules still on the agenda; however having some accompanying products closely following is quite the cherry on the cake!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

The first thing out will be the Quickstart (plus related demo/con scenarios), which we expect to have out by GenCon (or even Origins). Then comes the big release of Phase I (core rules, gm book, bestiary, campaign book, plus play aids). Then comes Phase II...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

The first thing out will be the Quickstart (plus related demo/con scenarios), which we expect to have out by GenCon (or even Origins). Then comes the big release of Phase I (core rules, gm book, bestiary, campaign book, plus play aids). Then comes Phase II...

Intriguing. So when will the RQ Kickstarter fit into all of this?

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

We will be making more announcements about the timing of the Kickstarter when we are ready. But my plan is to have everything written, illustrated, and even laid out before the Kickstarter even starts.

That's cool. For us Brits (who constituted a 1/5 of the RQ Classic backers) might need as much notice as possible to save particularly now that the exchange rate is working against us.

Edited by jongjom

11 hours ago, Jeff said:

The first thing out will be the Quickstart (plus related demo/con scenarios), which we expect to have out by GenCon (or even Origins). Then comes the big release of Phase I (core rules, gm book, bestiary, campaign book, plus play aids).

Quickstart + Demo Scenarios first ... check!  Then the KS... check!   Sounds like a pitch-perfect product launch.

11 hours ago, Jeff said:

Then comes Phase II...

ok, now, that's just cruel...   We're ALREADY salivating out here!

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

We will be making more announcements about the timing of the Kickstarter when we are ready. But my plan is to have everything written, illustrated, and even laid out before the Kickstarter even starts.

That's interesting.  If "everything" is already done... what will you do for Stretch Goals and the like?  Better quality of paper, binding?  Advance pieces of the "Phase II" project to be part of the initial KS campaign?  And/Or ... ?

I'm guessing that a full reply to this sits under the "more announcements about ... the Kickstarter when we are ready" umbrella... but can we have some hints?  ;-)

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Pentallion said:

so a year or more.

Difficult to see... Always in motion is the future.

@Jeff said "... by Gen Con (or even Origins)" for the Quickstart, so that's an optimistic goal of mid-June, and a realistic one of mid-August.  Of course, a zillion & one unforeseen occurrences could change those plans!

I am guessing that the majority of the work -- the stuff that's liable to push the Qstart to the later date -- is on the main "Phase I" books, that they want the main release to follow "hot on the heels of" the Quickstart & the summer 'Con season.  So hitting the earlier 'Con at the cost of a later KS drive is counter to their strategy.  But there's a lot of inference & supposition there, on my part!

But a late-Summer / early-Fall KS campaign, with late-Fall / early-Winter delivery, doesn't seem like an unreasonable hope, all things considered.  Even if the wait DOES make me want to get the Inhuman King to ... lean on them... a little.  ^_^

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 hours ago, Jeff said:

I *assume* you're going to be calling it the "RQ Quickstarter"?  Or Kwickstarter?

26 minutes ago, g33k said:

Ah, of course!  Genius!

In the "Quickstarter," only durulz will be presented as a PC-race!

Actually, an all-Duck scenario would make a good quickstart book. It would already highlight the setting as being a bit unique and different, and people may be more inclined to take an interest in the game and setting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

Actually, an all-Duck scenario would make a good quickstart book. It would already highlight the setting as being a bit unique and different, and people may be more inclined to take an interest in the game and setting. 

While I appreciate your view, I have to admit that of all the people I've introduced to Glorantha, all the times I've explained the world, I've also heard "is that the game world with those silly ducks?" many, many times.  Some people feel their presence is breaking the 4th wall a little too hard.

• Like 3