Any news on the launch of the new RQ?

smiorgan

1 hour ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

Don't try and present it as a serious "historical" game. Present it as a crazy, wacky, unique collision of the real and the absurd.

While I understand the point of your post, I think as a basic rule one is on pretty thin ice telling someone how to present their campaign.  

Some people *want* an historical feel as much as possible.  

And by the by, I've never really understood the response: "well there are (fantastical) dragons so why not X?"  - by that logic why not let characters wear 14 layers of armor or change their skin color every day?  Obviously - and the 800+ pages of the guide to glorantha are relevant here - different people want different levels of verisimilitude* to help in their suspension of disbelief.

*note that I didn't say realism

Personally, I *do* use ducks very sparingly because I feel their absurdity IS useful ... in very, very tiny doses.

Oh, and murderous sociopathically bad-tempered waterfowl are a thing in IRL: https://www.wired.com/2014/10/absurd-creature-week-vicious-duck-beats-crap-anything-moves/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mankcam said:

In my experience Ducks have been used to ridicule Glorantha, rather than promote it.

That has been my experience. In as much as it is an issue it's one which Chaosium and Avalon Hill made worse. The starter scenario in RQ3 featured a duck and tree that grows money. In retrospect that looks more like Greg Stafford giving a big FU to Avalon Hill. Similarly the "Keep on the Borderlands" equivalent for RQ3 featured a Warner Bros style cartoon duck on the cover. By the time you've bought RQ3 and the recommended starting scenario, ducks are looking pretty central. 

Clearly Chaosium aren't going to be making the same mistake with RQ but there's now 30+ years of folk memory out there. If anyone knows next to nothing about RQ the next to nothing they're likely to know is that it's the game with ducks where everyone gets their arms chopped off.

Personally, I love the strangeness of Glorantha. It makes it, oddly, more real to me. Bears with pumpkin heads, angry ducks, a hero with a pot on his head, baby giants floating down a river in cradles, occupying authorities making adventurers fill out forms to go adventuring. These all feel like the kinds of things that you wouldn't make up. For me it's fun and creative but I do think that a setting has to "earn" that right rather than just sticking a cartoon duck on the front of the first scenario a new player should buy.

• Like 1

I'm going to say this wearing my writer's hat - I don't really care if for some people having humanoid ducks is a bridge too far. They are in the setting since White Bear & Red Moon. To me, they are no more ridiculous than gnomes, halflings, Scottish dwarves, talking monkeys, satyrs, Acephali, Dactyls, Skiapodes, or Panotii. 

I don't disagree that Avalon Hill and Issaries made some strange art decision - and I am not a fan of the RQ3 Apple Lane cover. 

• Like 9

When I first started getting into Glorantha, it wasn't the ducks that threw me for a loop.

It was the mobile plant people. And the fact that I couldn't figure out if Dwarfs were literally made out of rock or not.

In fact, I'm still not completely sure if dwarfs are literally made of rock or not.

But the ducks? Never seemed weird or silly to me. When I first started pitching Glorantha to my adult children, all of them pretty much said the same thing

"Wait, what? Ducks? we can be ducks?! I WANT TO BE A DUCK!"

• Like 2

I've played probably 30 or 40 different RPG's in my life.  RQ wasn't the first, but it was definitely the class of the field.  (Of course, this implies a certain willing suspension of disbelief anyway.)  Personally, anthropomorphic ducks existing is a pretty shallow reason to come up with for not playing a game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, manfriday said:

When I first started getting into Glorantha, it wasn't the ducks that threw me for a loop.  It was the mobile plant people.

And the fact that I couldn't figure out if Dwarfs were literally made out of rock or not.  In fact, I'm still not completely sure if dwarfs are literally made of rock or not.

In my Glorantha (as it evolves) the Mostali are actually closer to "mytho-cyborg" beings, I think...

They can be both "healed" (via normal organic healing methods (including magic)) and "repaired" (mechanically, in a shop (also "repair" spells)).

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 31/10/2016 at 2:25 AM, Nick J. said:

It may or may not be of interest to you, but there is a community-made RQ2 that works as an extension for the BRP ruleset in Fantasy Grounds (which is FG2 based).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25979-RQ2-Extension

Very interesting! Enough to dig emails for those old Fantasy Grounds and BRP ruleset licenses!

On 25/10/2016 at 11:00 AM, Jeff said:

When RuneQuest is launched it is going to be released with a large number of products - I don't want to just release a rules book and then dribble out new product. Prior to launch, we'll have the RQ Quickstart rules ready.

Sounds like a very wise strategy! Quite the opposite of what happened with the BGB, or, to some extent, with RQ3.

• Like 2

Yes, moving on from my rather contentious views of our avian friends, I am really looking forward to RuneQuest being released with some supports closely following the initial release. This is very welcome news!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

14 hours ago, Jeff said:

I'm going to say this wearing my writer's hat - I don't really care if for some people having humanoid ducks is a bridge too far. They are in the setting since White Bear & Red Moon. To me, they are no more ridiculous than gnomes, halflings, Scottish dwarves, talking monkeys, satyrs, Acephali, Dactyls, Skiapodes, or Panotii. 

Exactly. Moreover, you'll always find players that want to play such things. 

On 10/31/2016 at 5:23 PM, Mankcam said:

If truth be told, I kinda do have a soft spot for Quackjohn, but I just wish I'ld met him in the Wind In The Willows rather than in Glorantha :)

When my group met Quackjohn last year, they immediately reacted, "We're not going to call him 'Quackjohn,' that's like 'N. Jim' in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. His name is 'John,' and he deserves our respect as Grimble's right-hand." Next Glorantha game we played was set in Pavis County, and a player made a Duck Initiate of Zola-Fel to fill the 'party ranger' role, and he made it awesome. (Of course, we are of an age to have enjoyed Duck Tales in our formative years, so make of that what you will. ;) )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

In interviews Greg has said he told stories about Glorantha to the women he went on dates with while in college, starting in 1966. He didn't really elaborate more than that. 

Close enough for government work (or internet trolling (is there a difference these days?)).  Thanks, btw!

C'es ne pas un .sig

g33k was actually just trolling to politely see if there were still live humans at Chaosium, lacking other updates on RQ.  :\

But yeah, we can all guess what the action was like in the Age of Aquarius if chicks got the sense that that you're going to be a shaman.

Don't hate the playa!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, styopa said:

g33k was actually just trolling to politely see if there were still live humans at Chaosium, lacking other updates on RQ.  :\

Actually, it was an honest query: both the RQ & Glorantha pages on 1d4Chan mention this.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, g33k said:

Actually, it was an honest query: both the RQ & Glorantha pages on 1d4Chan mention this.

Of course.  I just thought it was funny because I saw your post at the exact moment where I was thinking "hm, maybe I should just post some innocuous question just to see if they're still alive out there"....