Any news on the launch of the new RQ?

smiorgan

1 hour ago, styopa said:

Of course.  I just thought it was funny because I saw your post at the exact moment where I was thinking "hm, maybe I should just post some innocuous question just to see if they're still alive out there"....

Reminds me of the time I drove past a hot-dog-stand RIGHT after seeing Rocky Horror... had a severe moment of waitWTF???!?

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

We are alive, but mighty busy. I can be spending my time writing and doing art, or I can be on forums. 

Or you can do both! ;)

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 11/12/2016 at 10:48 AM, Jeff said:

We are alive, but mighty busy. I can be spending my time writing and doing art, or I can be on forums. 

It seems that the RQ Blog updates have moved to audio format this time.

http://www.glorantha.com/tales-of-mythic-adventure-episode-25-jeff-richard/  " In this episode of ToMA, MOB and Jeff go through what you can expect to find in each of the core books in the forthcoming RuneQuest! "

Personally, I really hate podcasts as a format so I'm punching that 40 min podcast through voicebase (it should be amusing to see how they transcribe some Gloranthan terms...) and will post it here, unless Jeff objects?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, styopa said:

It seems that the RQ Blog updates have moved to audio format this time.

http://www.glorantha.com/tales-of-mythic-adventure-episode-25-jeff-richard/  " In this episode of ToMA, MOB and Jeff go through what you can expect to find in each of the core books in the forthcoming RuneQuest! "

Personally, I really hate podcasts as a format so I'm punching that 40 min podcast through voicebase (it should be amusing to see how they transcribe some Gloranthan terms...) and will post it here, unless Jeff objects?

I hope you can. I truly hate podcast too.

• Like 1

Here's the machine-processed transcript.  Again, please Jeff - if you don't want this up, blow it away.  And everyone that reads this, please consider going to the link above and dl'ing the actual podcast, in case it gives them any revenue/metrics.

Again, this is a machine translation.  "room Quest" lol

Welcome to the tales of myth of venture podcast Coming to you from distant shores and welcome to tales of me think adventure and this is an exciting episode because I've got my co-host back Jeff

I'm doing fantastic and I'm glad to be back. I've just been overwhelmed with all the projects that I've been working on. I haven't had a chance to co-host my own show which is kind of crazy. Well withwe've got you. Deeply imbued in your bunker in Berlin and working on all sorts of stuff and I thought this episode be a really good one to just have a bit of an overview about some of the really coolthings that we are trying to get at. OK Well there's we can we can hit this in in several directions the the eight hundred pound gorilla is the request project which is multiple books but we've also got mythic Iceland could do little projects and

A. More Well way to stop it. But let's stop with the eight hundred pound gorilla. And let's let's talk Rehnquist so. This is a big project and this is probably the one that's occupying the vast majority ofyour time. How bet a synoptic overview of exactly what people are going to get when when it finally comes out. Well what we want to do with request is make sure that when we launch.

The new request line that you don't just get a court rule book and then wait several months for some material that actually be playable and so what we're putting together is we've got a core ruleswalk. And best Jerry again. Master Book. Dragon pass campaign. And then again master package a very useful play eight and that's what we'd be we've been calling phase one of the new request sowhat would you like me to start with. Well that's all pretty exciting. If we if it's a serial frankly when we relaunch the new request in one fell swoop. There will be more glory and then request material.To prove by Chaosium than was ever printed by Avalon Hill. That's very exciting and of course one of the. Things of at the F. one request line is it what took I think seven or eight years for them toactually bring out something new for glory.

Yes Yes And that's that's one of the reasons that we're putting so much effort up front and in front loading these releases

and then going on to phase two to build it and expand on it. So there's going to be so much stuff for people to play that is that is really exciting. So let's let's take those those books one of the time Iguess you know if we really want to take a step back. You could look at analogy and compare it to

coal we could through seven that came out and that of course has the investigator Handbook and the keeper rulebook. Is there a similarity here with what we're doing with room Quest. Well we'vegot a court rule book and a game master book now in the rulebook in the choral book it is pretty much well written. The only part that I still need to do is finish the story line and there's still a storyline Web through the examples.

Is is the this is the rubric the restless type story well it's actually LURD I you know we all love or at the rest are restless but that really was. Isn't there wasn't actually that much to it. There was really onlya story with Rick was there. So it's more like go between for Asha or hologram saga. Which I think were much better fleshed out stories there was a lot more information and then all the examples arebuilt out from that and I'm just finishing that debt piece off that's not interfering. So just so people are aware but you're in for Russia story was in cults of Prax. Yes and the whole grams was in calledto terror and those in my in the in my opinion. Those were the two best. Internal stories. There were there were wolves in through

Grant and publications. Yeah they were great. They were they were vignettes. Of that and so it was nicely done. Wasn't it in cults of practice you had each of the cults presented and good obituary inthe salaries trade in countering the monies is journey around cracks the one in cult of terror. It was a bit more of a. A dramatic saga wasn't it because that was I war against. That was a word against Iwas a car into wrestling or yeah I know. Which was fantastic but those those things captured the imagination and so we're But I'm putting a special care on the writing of that's

saga material for the requests court rules but that doesn't affect.

Frankly all that doesn't actually affect any of the editing it's being done right now by Jason draw to actually do the final edits for the rules and in the examples it's basically up to me to be able tocreate the. Polish saga that that underpins all that but that is the last is to this two elements to the saga One is it's going to be a cool story and the other is it does actually like the rubric saga.

Explain and exemplify houses rules work. Yes And actually if you if you're familiar with your request Grant though we did the same thing with Sim City and Saga. Which is a now and now one that wasmore

explicitly the story of play. Where is this is going to be more in the style of. The tree and brash and holograms where it's going to be a story and then we draw examples of how the story gets playedout in to describe and explain. Certain parts of the rules. Wonderful. So that's that it's just it's a style I think that we've always associated with with high quality. Oficial So that's the that's the coolrulebook. Tell gap it more that as the game. Hasta book. OK now the game master book is. It's a collection of additional materials that don't need to be in a core rule book because it's not of someof it is stuff that that is better kept up the game master is sleeve like rules on Chaos rules on elimination. They. Explanation of how the red magic the red goddess cult works explanations or materialson how to stage battles and run quest and then the big block of it is over fifty. Encounters. You know basically. As done in Borderlands or Griffin mountain or our sorry companion. Anathema Cheerioall of

the various potential encounters monsters humans elder races whatever that are written up instead of for the. So that you. Can have a sandbox campaign. You can wander around dragon pass and.

Simply have many many many sessions dealing with just the weird inhabitants of the dragon Pass area and room quest really requires having. Priest added encounters. It's a much more detailedsystem then than hero quest and if there is combat it. Jim definitely wants to have access to the stats and characteristics of a particular monster and not try to do that on the fly and I mean not onlythe disk in to be the step blocks. There's going to be some really good meaty description of these encounters as well we've got. Oh yes. And part of this is that it in some ways it's easier to explainthe rules in the world. Through the things you might encounter

show. So many of those are they going to be do you think in the phone but if the India zero bill five zero you have plus another. Dozen to a score of special encounters that are just basically presetexamples of how weird and funky things can be unclear and then again they get ideas as is this is modeled off. What was in Griffin mountain or companion but but lifted up a notch and said I'm goodat throwing in some candy as well.

So County as well although some county had war on the. The this started up material and so County was more special encounters which were fantastic inner encounter table. But it didn't have stepblocks for all and very true. It did actually have a gigantic pile of Tuscon done. Which I very bit of yes bit it. We probably can have that without this. As this thread could pass and and not you know.The. Remote isolated xenophobia and county and River River cradles this is this is the crossroads of the continent but it's kind of funny you know some of the Monger things that are that are reallyinterested in developing as what do black horse riders. Look like and function like as an encounter in one class. Now it's your quest we've done that before but your quest here or quest is easy tohand wave. QUEST Is it you really got to define things down or how about pure horse people raise Landers. So we will have some great slender encounters we even have some encounter with a.Squad from a seven member squad from the lunar College of Magic and so on and and they some of these two if the player characters could probably defeat another get this thing if they sensible.How can a bit of faster powerful way as possible from. Say runs of across just from troll can you know a whoop of troll can to something as terrifying as. A room board under way to hear of them.

Wow. So. And it is nice comp. Yeah and into an interesting question then. So this is the fifteen count is the. Next book. We could talk about is the best Yuri so I had yes. How does that differ allcompare to the city of encounters than well that the encounter material is these are all stat it up and and set you know the G.M. doesn't have to roll any dice to figure out how many. What the statsare of the elite Sartor right warrior or whatever whatever is there. Whereas with the best Jerry. This is the range. You know this is and there's more monster is not humans spirits' whatever whateveryou well in the best cherry then there are in the game master buck.

The quite a bit more. And also if you want to play an elder race as a.

As a player character this would be the book that you use some of the older races have short cult write ups for the major Colts sample occupations. It doesn't have the degree of. Depth of charactercreation that is in any clear rule book but from this you should be able to make a dark character and a green or brown or yellow elf character in a more a can of the Sentara doc. I know I'm missingseveral but you playing all the old favorites I'm sure. I'll allow you would want to have a dude like characters be on. Oh they were very

nice to start ducks stocks because of characters but you know let's just side. Well that I think they were if they they they throw their hands up and say. Please believe is we besieged you don't tell usthat's pretty much for out by for out delicious titles

that I mean life is I think is harsh being a new one very very high mass. So that's the best three books and tell us a bit more about that. How many heavy creatures do you think again in the thingthey're in they can I don't know any more. I know it's over at c it's. It's big it's it's over twice as big Actually sorry not twice as big. It's about three. Kinds the size of the oh Mark you grant the best jury.Well said does get to be somewhere between seventy five and a hundred thousand words. I think about seventy five thousand or it's so that's at cool thing about a bestiary of course is not just thedescriptions but also the illustrations and yeah I'm working with an artist already. And we've got a we have assigned a lot of resources to the art of this. So there's going to be over or over a dozen fullcolor plates. Of various creatures plus a. Over a score of black and white illustrations on top of it. The idea is as we want it we it's not going to be able to match the Peterson guy as an art book butwe want it to be heading in that direction. You know that there's a guy who has the advantage that doesn't have to step locks it off and there's a fairly limited number of creatures in it. Whereas theylearn the best jury has to cover a lot more territory and has to have stuff step blocks but the art that's in there is going to be very reminiscent of the Peterson guide in terms of quality and and and justbasic coolness. It's not meant to look like the

old glory. The old request best year. Of that.

That was covering the whole of Corinth or is this one going to cover the whole the Korean throat just drag out. Ogust on. Well when I refer dragon pal what I really mean is Dragon pass CAFE law orthe holy country. Cracks and parts of south Florida the basically the greater dragon Pass area and that's where this is going to be focusing focusing on because otherwise. When you try to cover toomuch you end up with you end up developing things before you know how. They really should fit in their own ecosystem. If that makes any sense

it's also look.

Would be sort of a strange a strange thing if we were doing eighty eight games set in an Homeric Greece. Right. We would we would think about.

Doing stuff in in the Near East and maybe parts of the Mediterranean but we wouldn't be static or or writing about and these are of the gods and creatures of

late Bronze Age and the Navy and here they are of. Shane China and and you know it and and here are. Whatever was in the was the Toltecs at that time probably get we we don't need stats forPeruvian tree frogs doing now. Now and then and this is in my opinion this is an issue where people you know people love the grant and setting they want to know what all but from Iraq is writing it. Itmakes a lot more sense to build the SIS build things and build the comparisons and the end and you know how powerful creature A should be or a colt a should be compared to creature B. or Colt B.and do this in a way where

you figure out your foundations first and then you expand on it. So the best year is focused primarily on the area covered and. The great right past. Yeah and a hand surrounding environs. So wellthat's good because it across leaves the door open.

Out of tiles of the world to be have a lot of. That's part of Phase two and it's what I was nice about it is that when you you. You have a new book in a new area. Well then we can include someinteresting new monsters in this without having basically ruined

the cool surprise by. Putting that into a Best Year A where it never gets used. I mean there was a cool monsters in the old requests best year of good. You didn't since about half of them were frompanel tele. I never used them ever again show. Even when we played in our kind of the David ever used them because most of them were further from far away other parts of penalty from places likeslaw on for example. Yes yes exactly. So let's just take a step back.

One of the other cool things of the bat room Quest of course cults because that's what play characters. Will belong to. And that's where a lot of their identity comes from.

So we're not having a cult book. In fact not swines not in phase one. But now we will talk and talk about the count the cult but for phase two later but tell us

how it comes getting covered in these these initial rules and what sort of collapse of the early blocked. In the court book your colds. We have the super short cull right up in character generationwhich is basically what you need to know about that cold.

In order to generate the character which isn't much. But then you get a longer. Quote right up which is basically the gods a go around. What was called the short cult right up in gods going on. Wedid that for

man I M I. I am not remembering quite how many it is I could. It's easier if I just listen a month but it's over fourteen calls.

In the cult section. For room magic and there's actually more. Detail in the cults and was in gods in God's glory and the running out of her R Q three and the cult seclude.

Are going to argue are the beasts are good or are. And he's e

you know would be no D. but I would be a lot smarter if I actually was looking at the she is her usual manner was like or by her ball marrying go or earn all of course. Or land.

Wahaha storm will yell me you know Molly who mocked

doc a fall and nine maps Allee certain that I'm missing. One or two others process information and spherical such as oak that. So really for someone who's room Quest from way back. It's got all theold favorites and some new ones and some sect sub-Saharan as it was and and even the old favorites have been updated in terms of the ring magic in terms of what the requirements are for variousring mastery. Positions such as rule order or increased or God Tucker I got rid of the. One of the things we changed as we got rid of the title of acolyte sins and it. Always

rubbed me a little wrong it didn't feel it didn't feel right. You know good enough great stories is anybody ever referred to as being an acolyte. And so we went back to God talker. Which does showup in a lot of of. Great stories. So which you know is more glorious than feeling actually that was what the the god talker was. Or the acolyte position was originally called Way back when actually it'svery first the very first thing that Greg ever called it was basically priest which the whole.

That's even worse that they had leased the room pre and this whole hierarchy the various magical positions. Kember there was even an advanced priest or something like that

we don't use that terminology but it was good to interesting to know that the what was called an acolyte narky three was not actually called that Intel ack or he three. So that those cults in the corerulebook and the rulebook and then in the game Master's Book you hear. Nice lore. Because illumination is very important and it's something but it's also something in there things like illuminationand becoming a hero and so forth. They're not things you really want to have in the court will block that is something that more properly belongs in a game masters. Well they're not thinking thesame thing Eric is going to be out. Exactly zero in the not I forgot this in the core rulebook is seven mothers. That's it or but the red Goddess is in the game master book because you cannot be astarting character and read gonna sculpt without extraordinary G.M. position permission because in order to be even in it and initiate of the reg Ottis you have to be both be a rule master of a lunarcalled and you have to be eliminated which is not usually how we start players. Yeah yeah you know I like it so they imagine a game where where everybody is. At that but that's not you know whatthe basic assumption is really the full. OK So and then in phase two. Well you know we see them but we still have the campaign book. Oh yeah oh yeah I know we're good to that but I was just goingto say in phase two. There is going to be a much bigger treatment of the cult of Dragon us. Yes I've been gathering I've been having volunteers get out of there or what I I I consider to be the bestexisting version

of

a gigantic laundry list of cults.

And gather the gather it all together in a Word document. It's been for many a formatted according to our current standards. You know a lot like. What's in the coal Compendium but also using a lotof Greg's unpublished material that he had put together and.

The idea. There is to have fully fleshed out

description of dozens of cults including cults that have never had any real right before. Certainly no canonical right up.

I don't know if you want some examples old of it. But

future discussion of it. Phase two and now circle back to

the final book that's going to be in phase one which is the campaign book because that something I don't think we've yet to totally had on the black and. Yeah

and that is a campaign book with. That covers about a year and a half of time. So it starts sixty at the very beginning of sixteen twenty six and works its way through to about halfway into his sixteentwenty six it into Sorry sixteen twenty seven. So basically takes us from right after Kalar star browse light bring her quest

and through

the anarchy period in Star top are

and ends with the coming of Prince our graph and so that's a really good busy period of time and also it's a good time to reintroduce people or introduce people into. The anthem for the first timeand it is structured seasonally. But it has a loads. You know with with here are events that are going on in a season here are some suggested adventures and then it has a series of scenarios in it. Thereis scenarios. By myself by Chris Kluwe by Jason drop. Likely by some others. This will be the last book that we finish up. I'm doing a scenario two dollars. Are you. Indeed

up on that I hope you would pop up on that.

But yeah exactly. And I think they are to to say that IF is that there's going to be a variety of scenarios.

So yes it's not it's not just the same thing. The whole way through. Can you talk a little bit about what that is

well yeah there's a Y. range there is thirst some which are.

Bizarre exploration places in it in Dragon pass that have always just been spots on a map but actually are really great locations for cool adventures. Like the stinking Rowan's or the old elf castle

but then there's also going to be battles that players can participate and there's going to be hero quests that players can participate in and the idea is yeah there is this these ongoing series ofevents. And there are. Suggested adventures for the players but it's also written in a way that is not as structured and as. The. Campaign that was in the original Sawyer book it's going to be free. It'sgoing to have more the feel of.

The boy king or parts of the great Arthur campaign the great pin dragon campaign. The one sorry out yet are getting it. Yeah. Except that when that one goes over a number of years. This is moregoing to be bad eighteen months to just say. Yeah it's about eighteen months now one of the big differences is that in requests we structure time by season where Pender going to structure by yearor so in the Hague and had the winter phase with various things happen in and how it has it done in the new requests then when they do requests basically at the end of each each season you have achance to get your room points back with your

holy day worship because each God has a season a holy day. Yep think goodnights

and also each season is when you get to make your experience checks in your training checks and so forth and so on. So the minor bookkeeping incurs seasonally and then each year during sacredtime. That's when you determine

the fate of the overall community that's when you make economic Where where where you can make economics roles and in determine the omens for what's coming up for next year.

And that's also when all of your room points get reset. So you have. Even if you've done a lousy job worshiping or God during most of the years long as you remain an initiate and participate in thecigarette rights. So your time. Rights you do get your and points back. Oh a few. So people who play for example the computer game king of Dragon passes will be quite familiar in and that's was abig big part of the overall design there is we really wanted to have it capture as much of the feeling and the pacing of King of Dragon past as we could and especially since it's going to be a newgame coming out. We really wanted to have this. Capture what were what were some of the coolest features. A dragon pass and incorporate after requests. I think of which. I mean it's not thatsurprising. David and I did

a

long campaign called the. Musing Pendragons house. Called the selling of Dragon Paskin being back in the mid ninety's that just went on for years and used a lot of that sort of pacing issues andwhich was you know influential on King a dragon pass and bring in one of my favorite campaigns I've ever been in in in the my entire thirty odd years of playing roleplaying games. So if you knowthese recall things you want to make sure that we captured it for you all it's that's just so exciting to if we have out of time for this episode today. We don't do it. We just give the player the player andwe have we had just been really scratching the surface.

I think OK let's get the player right in very very quickly. And it was a lapse. We wanted to do is make sure you know that not only is there a G.M. screen but a G M screen by itself is you knowwhenever it's a G M screen.

You know if you can have some pretty art and you feel information on it but it's not really that inhabits something that impressive but when it also packet filled with very useful. Player raids includingcheat sheets for cults

just really important now because now with the new written spell magic and initiative a cult can cast potentially any written spell numb to the cult and you don't have to preceptor fight it which iswonderful gives you great flexibility feels more glorious than the only thing is it means you have to have some reference sheet that shows what all your installs. And that's the idea of these cheatsheets is to basically cult by cult

have something where the player can look at this and go oh yeah that's right. You know I can I mean initiative well and adventurous I can cast lightning. So not designed of the cliff notes to being in aLanty. Yes A warm air and gore or whoever it is but the idea is that so you don't have to be constantly rummaging through the rulebook. Because that's no funny and that officer. Another thing thatI'm working on which is almost an art project within this is to have a really good in cool glue or at the calendar and that may sound silly but

Salo many time really matters.

After is what season it is it matters what week it is it matters what day it is if you're a lunar you have to be tracking every single day because he wouldn't you need to know if the moon is full yet whichcase you're going to walk or if it's it's dead or dying black or dying. Which means you probably want to hide under a rock

and if your initiative a called you want to know when your next holy day is because that's really important for you because that's when you get your room points back. Yeah. Well that's when your godis at its strongest if you want to get out and want that chaos in if you want to do it on fire. If you're you know cold.

Exactly and what we don't want to do

is have this just to be a calendar that looks like a glow around the sized version of something you bought from you know at a store. Now it's got you know a picture of a kitten holding hanging onto awire or something like that. And you know we wanted to have more of that Bronze Age ancient world feel. And so I'm working with a graphic designer on some concepts nice so. The code look atthrough G.M. screen had a similar sort of thing did it had it's going to be of course getting so there's going to be some similarity and that you know I don't know there may or may not be

a small intro venture in the gym screen as well that was a cool thing that was in the

keeper screen will definitely be maps.

You know in nice foldable maps. So the idea is that G.M. screen ends up being something that is just cool and valuable in its own right. Well that's something else to really look forward to Jeff wereally are out of time and we have only scratched the surface. We need to come back and have a chat about phase two very soon. Next time I can price you had a few Pancha but it was it waswonderful to have you back again here on tales of mythic adventure. So always a blast. It always is and we'll catch you next time. Jeff. Tallyho.

Well he will post some numbers.

2 hours ago, styopa said:

"room Quest" lol

Not to mention the "Rehnquist", the "request", and the new edition of "coal". :-)

Then there's the "the great pin dragon campaign". 

But I think the best is the "best Jerry again".

I think the Boggles are having a joyous time.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 1

I'm so glad we're going to have a best Jerry again.

One thing though, I know Jeff is pronouncing it "correctly", but he has to stop it.  It's BEASTiary.  I know. look it up, but the dictionary is just WRONG.  It's BEASTiary.

Once upon a time my English teacher used to say Aint isn't a word.  Well guess what grandma?  AINT is a word!  And just because all the English professors in the world said it wasn't, it IS.

And all those la ti da English majors can stop with the stupid pronunciation of the word BEASTiary just because some mideval half illiterate, leech loving, didn't take baths, dim wit couldn't pronounce or spell words right.

It's BEASTiary.  :)

• Like 1

I have included all I have learned in posts and podcasts and personal experience about the new edition in the link below. There are passions, great sorcery, great looking shamanism rules…
Please choose your language under "Translate into your language" on the right margin. Then scroll down up to But ... what is known about the next RuneQuest Glorantha?

http://elruneblog.blogspot.com/2016/02/noticias-sobre-el-proximo-runequest.html

be warned that the English translation gives "regulation" instead of "rulebook". :-)

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

14 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Not to mention the "Rehnquist", the "request", and the new edition of "coal". :-)

Then there's the "the great pin dragon campaign". 

But I think the best is the "best Jerry again".

I think the Boggles are having a joyous time.

Yeah, it's pretty horrendous.  (shrug)

IMO Just another reason to hate podcasts.  They're so flippin LINEAR.

• Like 1

The Tales of Mythic Adventure Podcast was quite timely.  It had been so long since the last one that I had thought it abandoned and was going to delete the feed!

No need to give a blow by blow, but the updates have been quite excellent.  Ultimately my main question is when I can buy the thing, but hey...its been 20 years, what's six more months? 

Dissolv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dissolv said:

Ultimately my main question is when I can buy the thing... 

Yeah, mine too!

But realistically:  there are too many imponderables and unknowns, too many factors outside their control, for ANY date they announce at this point to be anything more than wild guesswork ... 2d6+3 months?

I believe they "intend" to have their "phase 1" release in time for some of the big USAian gaming-conventions in summer/fall 2017...

Oh, and I'll add my amused/appalled "OMG soooo bad!" to the voicebase translation, and note (in case it matters) that I too dislike the podcast/audio format.

HOWEVER, I also wonder if the time-investment is less for them, than a written/edited/proofread blog-post.  If it's a question of them dropping 20-30 minutes into a podcast and then getting back to (game)production, vs. 2 hours to write, plus an hour or two to draft/revise, plus an extra pass by a proofreader, before they commit an essay to the web... Well, I know where I want their time spent!

Edited by g33k
podcast>voicebase = OMG!ROFLMAO
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

But realistically:  there are too many imponderables and unknowns, too many factors outside their control, for ANY date they announce at this point to be anything more than wild guesswork ... 2d6+3 months?

All too true.  But you know... a PDF release is very under their control.  I'd go for something like The Coming Storm in a heartbeat.  :-)  PDF first, discount on hardback later.

Dissolv

2 minutes ago, Dissolv said:

All too true.  But you know... a PDF release is very under their control.

Actually, given the vicissitudes of artists' schedules, needing to re-work or even replace some pieces, and adding layout afterwards (it isn't always possible to layout with blank placeholders for the art)... even the PDF date can be far from predictable!

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

HOWEVER, I also wonder if the time-investment is less for them, than a written/edited/proofread blog-post.  If it's a question of them dropping 20-30 minutes into a podcast and then getting back to (game)production, vs. 2 hours to write, plus an hour or two to draft/revise, plus an extra pass by a proofreader, before they commit an essay to the web... Well, I know where I want their time spent!

If a 600-word blog post is taking 2 hours to write/edit/proof/post, someone needs typing lessons.  

person-pecking-on-keyboard.jpg

Re the ready-date for RQ, I'm as anxious as anyone, but Jeff/Rick have made it clear that the "launch date" of RQ-new isn't just the finish-date for the RULES, it's going to be (as I understand) rules plus substantial campaign and supplemental materials.  

Unfortunately, I'd presume that the "supplemental materials" of substance - ie actual adventures with stats etc - all has to wait to start until the rules themselves are done: you can't do much toward making the whole pie until you've finished the crust.  Which pushes out the day we can all get our grubby hands on the new system that much further.

2 hours ago, styopa said:

If a 600-word blog post is taking 2 hours to write/edit/proof/post, someone needs typing lessons.  

It isn't "just" the typing-time, it's all the rest; figuring out what needs to be said, what needs to NOT be said (e.g. still working on a section), what should be "teased" (and how), and laying out the whole in a coherent, thoughtful way; possibly picking some art (they often do; sometimes a generic PR/promo shot but sometimes interior art).

It isn't just random forum crap:  it's company-to-customer and artist-to-patron communication.  Where my wife works, the standard is for the original author of an outside-facing memo to pass anything of substance through AT LEAST one other person before any outside party sees it.

Some of the shorter blogs ARE just a few hundred words with (I suspect) not too much to think about; these can be knocked out quickly; I bet at least one of Chaosium's blog's has been 10 minutes from start to Post.  But others are well over a thousand words, and/or with multiple pics, and/or with snippets of exemplar text (presumably from the books), and/or in need of fact-checking / input / etc from someone else.  No one thing takes very long, but 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there, and pretty soon you're talking about substantial time in!

C'es ne pas un .sig

57 minutes ago, g33k said:

It isn't "just" the typing-time, it's all the rest; figuring out what needs to be said, what needs to NOT be said (e.g. still working on a section), what should be "teased" (and how), and laying out the whole in a coherent, thoughtful way; possibly picking some art (they often do; sometimes a generic PR/promo shot but sometimes interior art).

It isn't just random forum crap:  it's company-to-customer and artist-to-patron communication.  Where my wife works, the standard is for the original author of an outside-facing memo to pass anything of substance through AT LEAST one other person before any outside party sees it.

Some of the shorter blogs ARE just a few hundred words with (I suspect) not too much to think about; these can be knocked out quickly; I bet at least one of Chaosium's blog's has been 10 minutes from start to Post.  But others are well over a thousand words, and/or with multiple pics, and/or with snippets of exemplar text (presumably from the books), and/or in need of fact-checking / input / etc from someone else.  No one thing takes very long, but 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there, and pretty soon you're talking about substantial time in!

Understood.  I'd grabbed 3 random examples and they were all in the 600-word range.  None particularly blew me away as being of particular depth (obviously; it's still a work in progress).  Far more substantive communication and discussion has been found in these forums, certainly - which, despite the context, is ALSO 'official' communication, no?

That said, podcasts are ALSO company-to-customer and artist-to-patron communication, and a while it seems more off-the-cuff it should be scrutinized, scripted (to some degree) and message-crafted at LEAST as carefully (particularly as IIRC it's not an EXTERNAL interview but an in-house production...) as a a written post.  If your wife's firm is that careful about blog posts, I have to imagine they'd take the same care with a podcast?

For 10+ years I wrote computer game reviews for publication both on the web and freelance for a number of monthly print publications.  I understand very much how carefully one has to measure one's words in 'official' sorts of commentary.  And we all understand about being pulled in 12 different directions on too many projects for our time.

Our plan is to have the new RuneQuest out in the second half of 2017.

As a side note, we don't have much if any script for the podcasts. Before recording we do briefly chat about what we want to cover. We have the summary of what was discussed so you can leap to approximately something specific is discussed.

Like many of you have said, the downside of podcasts is that you can't easily skim them, and there are only so many minutes in the day.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 4

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

4 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Looking forward to it (as are so many of us here!).

4 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

As a side note, we don't have much if any script for the podcasts. Before recording we do briefly chat about what we want to cover. We have the summary of what was discussed so you can leap to approximately something specific is discussed.

I had the strong sense it was that way; but then, any halfway decent roleplayer is also at least a quarter-way decent actor, so it seemed possible that the entire "casual" vibe was in fact a careful illusion...  :ph34r:

C'es ne pas un .sig

19 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

While this is some way off the original target, I applaud the approach being taken here - get it right rather than just rush it out for an arbitrary deadline, and release it with plenty of campaign/adventure material at the same time. Great stuff, guys.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2016 at 3:37 PM, Rick Meints said:

What a disappointment. When was it initially announced? Who remembers, who cares. 2017 is already around the corner, and as the development pace is as slow as it is, it seems the content is on finalized state - basically ready.

I still think that the RQ classic was a bad idea - waist of time and resources instead of using it for new RQ reboot.

Anyway, ignore my murmur. Let's wait and see, but I'm quite passivated over the new RQ. More importantly, new BRP-essentials/Mythic Iceland, which is probably scheduled even further down the timeline.

You may like to rave but honestly Chaosium/Moon Design needed a hefty influx of cash to keep Chaosium going and apart from getting costs under control they had to generate revenue to play for CoC 7e and the ongoing revitalisation of the company. Getting the HotOE and 7E Kickstarters was highest on the agenda and funding those as well as the development of RQ4 needed a lot of cash and the Classic RQ KS (much in demand from grognards) was the way to satisfy a need and get some of that cash. I believe that the new Chaosium team put in about 1/4 million dollars to get the company out of it's immediate hole and needed to recoup that as well.

I, for one, acknowledge our new tentacled overlords Ia! IA! Cthulhu Ftagn.

• Like 2

Nigel

Well the good news is that the RQ core rules is pretty much done. Jason is still making edits and adding examples (as well as adding things like character templates for folk who want to make characters quickly), and I am pretty much done with the Bestiary. Steve, Ken, Chris, Jason, and I are all working on the campaign book, and I need to finish up the Gamemaster Book. That's four books that I hope to start commissioning art for at the beginning of the year.

• Like 8