Any news on the launch of the new RQ?

smiorgan

3 hours ago, Belgath said:

I've never understood how intelligent Mice, baboons, birds, dogs, trees, bugs are ok but no no you can't have a duck. 

I'm pretty sure that they were originally included as a sort of comic relief.

I use ducks, but it's not hard to understand how some people find that a little jarring?

duck_barb_zpsbhvxdeub.png

• Like 5

I look forward to the new Runequest, and I am planning on leaving Pathfinder, after GMing the current campaign is over, to go back to the game I cut my RPG teeth with back in the 80s.  I was tempted to get my group started with Classic RQ, but the gang I play with now is all across the country, and we use Fantasy Grounds 2 to gather weekly.  Sadly there is no RQ ruleset for FG2, and it looks like the BRP is not up to snuff for RQ?
Any chance of a ruleset for the new RQ, tokens and the like when it is ready?  Or maybe a second kickstarter for that?

57 minutes ago, iemckinnon said:

I look forward to the new Runequest, and I am planning on leaving Pathfinder, after GMing the current campaign is over, to go back to the game I cut my RPG teeth with back in the 80s.  I was tempted to get my group started with Classic RQ, but the gang I play with now is all across the country, and we use Fantasy Grounds 2 to gather weekly.  Sadly there is no RQ ruleset for FG2, and it looks like the BRP is not up to snuff for RQ?
Any chance of a ruleset for the new RQ, tokens and the like when it is ready?  Or maybe a second kickstarter for that?

It may or may not be of interest to you, but there is a community-made RQ2 that works as an extension for the BRP ruleset in Fantasy Grounds (which is FG2 based).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25979-RQ2-Extension

4 minutes ago, Nick J. said:

It may or may not be of interest to you, but there is a community-made RQ2 that works as an extension for the BRP ruleset in Fantasy Grounds (which is FG2 based).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25979-RQ2-Extension

Bless you, I was looking all over for that on the FG2 site and for some reason could not find it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Definitely no Ducks in RQ Phase 1 please!

We want to make sure it's popular enough for Phase 2 !!!

Besides, we don't need them in "Phase I" proper -- we can just port them in from the Quackstarter!  :P

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Ducks are in the Bestiary. And they are written to be potential player characters. 

I recall the planned PC options included several that surprised me... I'm not currently finding that post (all I see is a "6+ species" mention in one of the Design Notes blog-post).

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

Aaarghhhh! The Return of Quackjohn!

heh heh

Actually, I'm hoping to see a RQ:New adventure (maybe in the Organized Play campaign?) that places Quackjohn in a feature role, with Gringle more sideline/offstage ...   Always nice to see an old friend who's done well for themselves!   ;-)

C'es ne pas un .sig

The notion of Ducks has always seemed too ridiculous for me, and I feel it damages the authentic flavour of Glorantha.

It would be akin to having talking-hamster-sages running around in Westeros.

But at the same time I understand why others like the Ducks; they are a  free wheeling gonzo left-over from the cottage industry days of rpgs, and you cant take such things too seriously.

If truth be told, I kinda do have a soft spot for Quackjohn, but I just wish I'ld met him in the Wind In The Willows rather than in Glorantha :)

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

There are kind of ... a LOT ... of instances of the "absurd" in Glorantha.

I mean, think about the Praxian "riding beasts".  REALLY think about them.  It's just... yeah, there's some awesome there.  Also more than a little bit of absurd!

Baboon-tribes ... huh?

And... dinosaurs.  REALLY?

Dragon-larvae who ride near-ostrich "demi-birds" into battle ... WT F'ing F???       And people think "Ducks" are too ridiculous???!?

The trick, IMHO, is just go with it.  Embrace the absurd... push it so hard, it turns back into awesome!  And then you can play with the silly AND the awesome ...  I'm mid-build (so far, all concept/backstory... cos the mechanics are simple, aren't they?) on a Durulz npc that I'm planning on having my Glorantha-n00b's interact with a fair bit.

Oh, and also (on the subject of Quackjohn) does anyone know of any good Durulz-image I can present them as "Quackjohn looks something like this..." ?  I mean, I can do my own Google - search, but if someone already has some good images they've found, I'd love a pointer!

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Oh, and also (on the subject of Quackjohn) does anyone know of any good Durulz-image I can present them as "Quackjohn looks something like this..." ?  I mean, I can do my own Google - search, but if someone already has some good images they've found, I'd love a pointer!

I'm kinda partial to this one.  It's by Dan Barker, a British artist who's done work for a number of RQ-related products and periodicals.  I like the articulated 'boots:'

(http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9TpCYbNkIos/S0tUxXtA39I/AAAAAAAAAJQ/jtS4OmiWLsU/s640/RuneQuest-Con 1994 Cover.jpg)

RuneQuest-Con%201994%20Cover.jpg

And speaking of duckage, AD&D players have even more reason to be ashamed:

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/duckbunn.php

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mankcam said:

The notion of Ducks has always seemed too ridiculous for me, and I feel it damages the authentic flavour of Glorantha.

The counterargument, for me at least, is that Glorantha isn't vanilla fantasy. It stands out because it is different, quirks and all and a playable Duck race is part of that distinctiveness. Secondly, Glorantha is often at risk as being seen to take itself too seriously. Playable Ducks, obviously, provide an element of light relief. Thirdly, and possibly most importantly, Ducks are an inherent part of the setting already and should be celebrated along with the rest of it. 

Honest account of conversation at game club:

"So, I'm planning a campaign for next year - anyone interested in RuneQuest?"

"Not sure - what's it about?"

"It's a classic fantasy game from way back, is quite Bronze agey in feel...."

"Say wut?"

"Errrr...a bit like the 300 movie"

"Oh right - does it use D&D rules?"

"No. It's percentile and skills based - very influential game....."

"Errrrrrr......"

"........um....you can play Ducks in it...."

"Ducks!?!"

"errrr....yeah..."

"Cool! I'll play!"

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Mankcam said:

But at the same time I understand why others like the Ducks; they are a  free wheeling gonzo left-over from the cottage industry days of rpgs, and you cant take such things too seriously.

If truth be told, I kinda do have a soft spot for Quackjohn, but I just wish I'ld met him in the Wind In The Willows rather than in Glorantha :)

My response above stands :D

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Glorantha is not Middle Earth. It has always had a lot of quirky "trippy" humour twined into the serious mythic grandeur. Suck it up!

Don't try and present it as a serious "historical" game. Present it as a crazy, wacky, unique collision of the real and the absurd. Then y'all'll get along fine with the quackers aspects of the world.

That seemed to suit the days of the old paper cover fanzines, but it kinda feels out of step with the feel of the G2G.

I'm not saying to rewrite history and get rid of Ducks. So nothing to suck up. I'm just saying that it's perhaps not great to focus on them during the early phase of the new RQ roll-out

In my experience Ducks have been used to ridicule Glorantha, rather than promote it.

Ducks are ridiculous. However I think that is entirely the point of them. I have followed Glorantha since 1984, so that seemed okay back then. I think it just doesn't resonate the same these days. 

Reading the G2G is more like a Osprey book or like a colourful anthroplogical text on ancient cultures (which is a compliment). It comes across much more in that flavour than it does as a Led Zep-Jodorowsky-Bakshi dreamscape with wacky background characters.

Different times.

My concern is more about maintaining consistent flavour authencity. HQG does a good job of capturing the flavour of the G2G, so I suspect CRQ4 will do likewise.

Throwing Ducks into the mix too early could put off a lot of people who are atracted to the G2G. Just sayin'

However I could see possibly a vehicle for Ducks in a Gloranthan card game like Khan Of Khans with a Duck focus, that could work - Ruler Of The Flock perhaps?

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1