Six Ages progress update

Steve

• 1 year later...

Does anyone (other than them) know the relative market-sizes of the different platforms in the KoDP userbase?

I'd be pretty surprised if their release-plans didn't follow the existing market pretty closely.  Obviously they want to grow beyond that if possible, but abandoning the known & relatively-reliable market in hopes of attracting some nebulous "larger" market seems like a sub-optimal plan...

C'es ne pas un .sig

This is my guess and I can't speak in any official capacity, but I'd say: iOS > PC (GoG and Steam combined) > Android

Android is always the worst, because it's so easily piratable and full of shovelware. Steam is hard to break into these days, also too much shovelware. (plus the Steam port had issues)

A surprising number of grognards prefer the old GoG version, but globally I don't think they make up too big a percentage of all players.

14 hours ago, JanPospisil said:

This is my guess and I can't speak in any official capacity, but I'd say: iOS > PC (GoG and Steam combined) > Android

Android is always the worst, because it's so easily piratable and full of shovelware. Steam is hard to break into these days, also too much shovelware. (plus the Steam port had issues)

Wow. "Worst" in what way? Certainly not in terms of market share, and app store revenue is very similar between iOS and Android these days.

scene162-crop.jpgscene254-crop.jpg

Is Six Ages Gloranthan based, like KoDP was?

If so, any idea of the cultures depicted here?

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

3 hours ago, Steve said:

Wow. "Worst" in what way? Certainly not in terms of market share, and app store revenue is very similar between iOS and Android these days.

Worst in the users/money ratio. I have both an iPad and an Android tablet (a gaming tablet actually), I love the openness of Android and love to play games on it. I fully understand why developers are hesitant to port their games on Android though - 1) rampant piracy 2) absolute floods of ad-riddled shovelware that's either free, or selling for pennies. Hard to sell a game with a 10 USD price on there. 

3 hours ago, Mankcam said:

scene162-crop.jpgscene254-crop.jpg

Is Six Ages Gloranthan based, like KoDP was?

If so, any idea of the cultures depicted here?

It's set in Glorantha. Both images show a single culture. (as do most, if not all the other bits of illustrations we ever showed)

Here they are:

Yep: WP_20170807_001.jpg

scene129-crop.jpg

Logo4-300x158.jpg

S105-thumbs.jpg

scene274-crop.jpg

This is titled "distant past" (and it is, for the same culture)

i2-crop.jpg

s235-pencils-crop-232x300.jpg

S006t.jpg

Venture%20dialog.jpg

(that's all of them, I think)

Not this one, as the address implies, these are "Goose people". (hard to guoosse, I know. ;P)

goosePeople-crop-300x300.jpg

This is clearly a troll:

scene042-crop.jpg

As is this (though there's a person of Protagonist Culture in the background)

s41-crop.jpg

This one is not the Protagonist Culture:

scene025.jpg

• Like 9

On 31/01/2018 at 11:52 AM, goldenwheeldancer said:

What platforms will this be on?

As David said in the article there's no info on this deliberately as he got burned before by pre-announcing a release.

Everyone should also be aware that only David Dunham can answer any of these questions as anyone else involved is under a non-disclosure agreement. You can ask questions  over on his blog as I don't think he's on here.

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, JanPospisil said:

Worst in the users/money ratio. I have both an iPad and an Android tablet (a gaming tablet actually), I love the openness of Android and love to play games on it. I fully understand why developers are hesitant to port their games on Android though - 1) rampant piracy 2) absolute floods of ad-riddled shovelware that's either free, or selling for pennies. Hard to sell a game with a 10 USD price on there. 

How many Glorantha fans who would otherwise buy Six Ages will miss out if, say, it's only on iOS? Quite a few, I would suggest. It's very easy to pirate games on PCs, and possible on iOS as well. I don't buy those as arguments not to port to those platforms, given the huge user bases involved.

13 minutes ago, Steve said:

How many Glorantha fans who would otherwise buy Six Ages will miss out if, say, it's only on iOS? Quite a few, I would suggest. It's very easy to pirate games on PCs, and possible on iOS as well. I don't buy those as arguments not to port to those platforms, given the huge user bases involved.

It's about numbers, right? So a certain percentage of people will buy the game on Steam for 10 bucks. (the rest will pirate it) Same on iOS. A much much smaller percentage will buy it on Android, because that's too much money for the platform.  

So you can either make it cheaper, or not sell as many. (both options mean making less money)   

Now if you're already developing multiplatform from the get go, you might be ok with that. There are still some costs to shipping a game on multiple platforms, but it's more doable. 

If you have to port a game you started developing on a single platform to other platforms, it's going to be some work you have to do yourself, or hire someone to do for you. Both of those options cost a certain amount of money.   

If you expect the sales from that platform won't even cover those expenses (or they will, but barely), you probably choose to not port to that platform.

You'll have to wait and see on release, or until David talks about it more. 

edit: For comparison of piracy on Android and iOS:

"Interesting fact: Only 5% of Monument Valley installs on Android are paid for. 40% on iOS. "

Piracy rate of 90-95% on Android is the most commonly reported. 

Some may remember the case of Dead Trigger, a mobile game that debuted with a $0.99 price tag on both Android and iOS. After being hit by such an unbelievably high piracy rate, the developers had no choice but to make the Android version free.

Imagine that. Because people are stealing your game so much, you're FORCED to make it free. Still think this is a good and sustainable way for people to make and sell games?

Edited by JanPospisil
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like we are in Saird (the map, solar people, the mention of Elmal)

Eurogamer said that the game is set 2000 years before King of Dragon Pass, so my theory is that we are playing Berenethtelli in the Dawn age.

The tribe of the Red-Haired Winter Daughter Redaylde and her horse-loving husband Bereneth the Rider. We lived in the north, in the land now called Saird.

The Rams are probably southern orlanthi who worship the resurrected Orlanth and are called like that because they could be seen as a ram people by horse people, game will probably involve or even be centered on the intermarying and syncretism of the two peoples.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tarumath said:

Looks like we are in Saird

Yes, looks like it!  

32 minutes ago, Tarumath said:

The Rams are probably southern orlanthi who worship the resurrected Orlanth

Remember the Iron Ram in GRoY which broke the gates of Elempur.

GRoY p.25 "The second threat, from the south, was the Ram People. They wore curled horns upon their heads, and wooly fleeces instead of clothing. They worshipped a huge iron ram, which they towed about on Wheels. They were descendants of Uldoviham, who had mated with beasts during his time in the wilderness.
The Ram People came in a horde to the city of Elempur, the most southern of the Seven Cities. The people who lived there were afraid. They tried first to stop the invaders with words, but failed. Then they tried to fight, but the Ram People were more numerous. The wool-clad barbarians attacked the men of Elempur, and then they ran into the city and sacked it. They burned, raped, and pillaged wantonly. This had never been done before. Everyone was in shock except the Emperor."

• Like 1