Jump to content
Nel

Translations

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

OK, so how do we start?

The Glorantha Wiki. I'm suggesting this as you need to create a login and this will mean everyone's work is credited. Also errors can be undone and it's all public.

However how do we actually lay this out? text is easier than tables and what ever is used should be alphabetical. One page with multiple languages is my preference as it allows those with multiple languages to cross check meanings eg

Stormwalk (EN), Montagne des Tempêtes (FR), Montagne de l'Orage (FR), Montaña del Paso tormentoso (ES), Tempestaadondadora (Catalan).

Perhaps with notes on name make up and source eg:

Stormwalk (A mountain where you can walk with the storm) GtG page XX

Montagne des Tempêtes (FR), Montagne de l'Orage (FR), Montaña del Paso tormentoso (ES), Tempestaadondadora (Catalan).

How does this look?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, David Scott said:

The Glorantha Wiki. I'm suggesting this as you need to create a login and this will mean everyone's work is credited. Also errors can be undone and it's all public.

However how do we actually lay this out? text is easier than tables and what ever is used should be alphabetical. One page with multiple languages is my preference as it allows those with multiple languages to cross check meanings eg

Stormwalk (EN), Montagne des Tempêtes (FR), Montagne de l'Orage (FR), Montaña del Paso tormentoso (ES), Tempestaadondadora (Catalan).

Perhaps with notes on name make up and source eg:

Stormwalk (A mountain where you can walk with the storm) GtG page XX

Montagne des Tempêtes (FR), Montagne de l'Orage (FR), Montaña del Paso tormentoso (ES), Tempestaadondadora (Catalan).

How does this look?

I would really like to see this list, especially because I'm working still on a German translation of HeroQuest Glorantha (which contains a lot of names). An alphabetically ordered list (based on the English names) would be my approach too, but I would create two groups: one for geographical names and one for non-geographical names (e.g. names of personalities like Jaldon Goldentooth or names of animals like Sable antelopes, etc.).

I expect, that there is need for a place, where translations could be discussed. At least in German I know three different translations for Sable antelopes already, so either it should be possible to add all possible variants (including some comments), or it should be possible to discuss, which translation may be the best matching one ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I would really like to see this list, especially because I'm working still on a German translation of HeroQuest Glorantha (which contains a lot of names). An alphabetically ordered list (based on the English names) would be my approach too, but I would create two groups: one for geographical names and one for non-geographical names (e.g. names of personalities like Jaldon Goldentooth or names of animals like Sable antelopes, etc.).

Wikia won't give you a list, but you can create a re-direct for e.g. German translations to the English language article, and if Peter doesn't want foreign language on the main articles, there are the discussion pages for the entries which can have all the other stuff.

For a simple list, something like a Google Docs spreadsheet would be the easiest way to collaborate.

 

3 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I expect, that there is need for a place, where translations could be discussed. At least in German I know three different translations for Sable antelopes already, so either it should be possible to add all possible variants (including some comments), or it should be possible to discuss, which translation may be the best matching one ...

Just make it either a thread, or ask nicely for a translation-related subforum here. I seem to recall there already was one German language translation thread here, either in HQ or Glorantha, or otherwise in the old forums of glorantha.com .

 

As to synonyms - those exist for the English terms as well. Wikia handles this via re-directs. My old database basically had an open--ended number of descriptors for the page they pointed to.

 

Charles Corrigan did that old database structure. Now that my domain is able to run a MySQL database, I might just ask Charles to put the structure and whichever incarnation of the old database in chaosium.com survived up at my glorantha.de domain and use that for this purpose. The "name tag" could get a linked list with languages that use it.

Once you are operating a database, alphabetic lists in whichever direction are easy to generate, and creating a form for that might even be within my own meagre SQL-fu. I would have to invest in  few SSL certificates, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Wikia won't give you a list

It will give a list presented so:

Stormwalk (A mountain where you can walk with the storm) GtG page XX

Montagne des Tempêtes (FR), Montagne de l'Orage (FR), Montaña del Paso tormentoso (ES), Tempestaadondadora (Catalan).

 

Tormwalk (A mountain where you can walk with the storm) GtG page XX

Montagne des Tempêtes (FR), Montagne de l'Orage (FR), Montaña del Paso tormentoso (ES), Tempestaadondadora (Catalan).

 

Urmwalk (A mountain where you can walk with the storm) GtG page XX

Montagne des Tempêtes (FR), Montagne de l'Orage (FR), Montaña del Paso tormentoso (ES), Tempestaadondadora (Catalan).

 

Vormwalk (A mountain where you can walk with the storm) GtG page XX

Montagne des Tempêtes (FR), Montagne de l'Orage (FR), Montaña del Paso tormentoso (ES), Tempestaadondadora (Catalan).

19 minutes ago, Joerg said:

For a simple list, something like a Google Docs spreadsheet would be the easiest way to collaborate.

As I mentioned previously Spreadsheets are not an ideal way to present info that everyone can access.

20 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Once you are operating a database

Likewise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Oracle said:

An alphabetically ordered list (based on the English names) would be my approach too, but I would create two groups: one for geographical names and one for non-geographical names (e.g. names of personalities like Jaldon Goldentooth or names of animals like Sable antelopes, etc.).

Agreed, a Gazetteer page, proper names and a bestiary page sound okay?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@David Scott

I guess you weren't aware that my old database was collaborative in design - all you had to do was to register as a user, and you could start participating, pending on moderation, or the admin could give you direct publication rights. Web forms to edit the database aren't much different from the web form I am using right now to communicate this.

You seem to have missed the point of alphabetical lists as a quick lookup tool, too. A web interface would only ask for the parameters of the SQL search, and not ask for the fully articulated SQL statement. (I got that feature on request, though...)

All the features that were discussed are already present in Charles' design, except for the additional tag for language and the generation of alphabetical look-up lists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joerg said:

old database

As someone who makes part of his living recovering data from old databases into readable formats, personally I prefer good old text (or html or xml). The added bonus is that search engines will index it so it can be found quickly and easily. Nothing is in a closed file format and all is on display, like the pages from a book.

If you want to set up a database then please do. I'm just aiming for the lowest common denominator. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Once you are operating a database, alphabetic lists in whichever direction are easy to generate, and creating a form for that might even be within my own meagre SQL-fu. I would have to invest in  few SSL certificates, though.

Please just keep it easy for computer mooks -like me-, for whom IT and the like are like Draconic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, David Scott said:

I have a suggestion, that comes from my work in another area of gaming - can we get this this all made up into an unofficial resource for others to use. I've been working with translators on another project for which I now have a list of keywords translated into four other languages. This was to ensure that there is consistency across the foreign language versions of the game. The intention would not be to produce a definitive list or to correct each others interpretations, but to just get out there and include multiple versions of the same name where they exist. The Glorantha Wiki is the obvious home for this.

That is an excellent idea. I am not sure I will be able to contribute regularly to such a project though. I have actually decided to limit my Internet time as it takes away a lot of time I should better use on other activities like gaming and reading.

Moreover, a french translation is a tricky subject to me as I don't like the french versions from Oriflam (RuneQuest 3) and Multisim (Hero Wars). As far as french and Glorantha are concerned, I think we should start from the ground up. But perhaps am I the only one to think so.

I can just assure you I will keep an eye on this project but I don't promise anything.   ;)

Edited by Corvantir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made a start. The Main page has been created and only the Gazetteer exists at the moment. Please pop over and populate the Gazetteer with some places. I'm an English speaker with no real need for translations so it's over to you:

http://glorantha.wikia.com/wiki/Language_Translations

I'll add the other pages later today then publicise it over on the other Glorantha groups.

Please note 

 

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm married to a native Spanish speaker, if I can help in any way. Although we probably have some native Spanish speakers on here anyway who are also Gloranthaphiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started to slowly contribute the Spanish translations to the Gazetter section, starting with all the names on Marya Marakava's Sartar+Prax map.

Edited by Runeblogger
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×