RQ magic questions

styopa

22 hours ago, soltakss said:

Well, well, well, clear as anything. I wonder why we did not play it like this in any of the RQ2 groups I played in.

Because it just seems cheesy to me (regardless of RAW, not every rule is perfect).  Feel free to disagree.  

In our game, higher and higher point value spells were typically harder to find and more expensive.  For example, with spirit magic spells, if you actually did the 'fight it out with the spirit' thing, a heal 6 would be a harder spell to learn than a heal 1.  By that same logic, it seems like it should be harder to come by a shield 6 than a shield 1.  Call it a power-scaling brake.

We rarely played that all out, just making higher point spirit magic spells increasingly expensive - a "1" might be 100p, but a 3 would be (100+200+300) = 600p. Dunno if that was canon somewhere or just our houserule.  For divine magic, we said that you couldn't just buy shield 6.  You'd need to sacrifice for shield 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 first, making high-end divine magics exceedingly rare.

But with those RAW, if you have 6 people with shield 1, they can all cast them on a single target and give that target shield 6.  Seems far too easy to get a shield 6.

58 minutes ago, styopa said:

But with those RAW, if you have 6 people with shield 1, they can all cast them on a single target and give that target shield 6.  Seems far too easy to get a shield 6.

This notion may have come up once or twice many years ago, and I would of just assumed it couldn't happen as it would have been out of context with the rest of the rules.

Hopefully the new edition fixes this,  as it seems like a big loophole.

I would accept that possibly a Priest could cast a spell which allows individuals to link up for a combined spell magnitude, but leaving it as RAW just seems to be at a discord with the rest of the rules.

Well 30yrs later and there is still something new to learn...

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

20 hours ago, Mankcam said:

This notion may have come up once or twice many years ago, and I would of just assumed it couldn't happen as it would have been out of context with the rest of the rules.

Hopefully the new edition fixes this,  as it seems like a big loophole.

I would accept that possibly a Priest could cast a spell which allows individuals to link up for a combined spell magnitude, but leaving it as RAW just seems to be at a discord with the rest of the rules.

Well 30yrs later and there is still something new to learn...

There are only three basic rune spells that are stackable beyond four points in RQ2:  Discorporation, Matrix Creation, and Mind Link.  Shield is explicitly limited to four points stacking.  (And no, I'm not going to check the other hundred or so rune spells.) :) 

• Like 1