John Dies at the End.

Darius West

There has been some very funny adaptations of C'thulhu out there. Even Lovecraft wrote Herbert West Reanimator as a comedy. Charles Stross and the Laundry series are a lot of fun for example and already have a C'thulhu supplement I believe.  What about Jason Pargin aka David Wong's "John Dies at the End"?  Also " This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously Dude, don't touch it", and "John and Dave and the Temple of X'al'naa'thuthuthu".  The first book already has a movie, and "This Book is full of Spiders" may well get one too.

(a) Is everyone well aware of this little gem?

(b) Are there any other comedic C'thulhu things out there really worth the time that we should be aware of?

I enjoyed the John Dies at the End movie, which could work as Pulp Cthulhu spin. This Book is Full of Spiders was good but not nearly as crazy or inventive as the first book.

I seem to remember a small handful of Cthulhu scenarios in very old fanzines that were 'sort of' humourous but nothing out and out comedy per se. I mean, often in 'straight' games there is plenty of comedy, which usually is funnier  - I often find that rpg scenarios written as 'comedy' aren't that funny - its the players reactions to the situations they find themselves in that is often the source of the humour.

• Like 2

yea definitely players do the humor better imo. We were playing All Flesh Must Be Eaten, and a novice player was playing this architect that witnessed a zombie attack a policeman. He got so freaked out in game and in real life he stole the police car and went speeding off as far as he could lol. His reaction was just awesome. Had there been sanity in that game, it would def have behaved like a failed sanity roll.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2016 at 10:02 PM, Mike M said:

This Book is Full of Spiders was good but not nearly as crazy or inventive as the first book.

Agreed.  Hopefully "Mr Wong" will produce some more material of the same quality as his earlier effort soon.

Edited by Darius West

On 11/26/2016 at 8:44 PM, EricW said:

The Night Flier - that hilarious scene where the main protagonist is watching the reflection of the vampire taking a leak on the urinal behind him. Of course, you can't see the vampire - all you can see is the stream of blood hitting the urinal.

The scene in question is around 1:14:45

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, EricW said:

The opening scene from In the Mouth of Madness is dark comedy - the Sam Neill character being hauled into an asylum, starting a shout "I am not insane", which all the other inmates join "I'm not insane if he isn't".

Unfortunately this video seems blocked in the US for copyright reasons.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!