Any Clockwork & Chivalry (not mythos) in the pipeline??

Jeff Mindlin

Just wondering if there is any more support (i.e. Adventures, campaigns. K&C) for the "pure" Clockwork & Chivalry planned? 

I get a bit fed up with omnipresent cthuloid manifestations in role playing. Frankly it is sometimes a bit too cheap and easy imo....

Anyway, I love the refreshing depth and complexity of C&Chiv and would love more adventures/campaigns to run. 

Anything coming.....?

Thanks  

• Like 3

I bought Clockwork and Chivalry for the period details -- and their difference from 'standard' medieval fantasy, the firearms rules and the existing campaign. I found it pleasantly reminiscent of a blend of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Maelstrom. I'd love for it to have more campaigns or adventures.

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Questbird said:

I bought Clockwork and Chivalry for the period details -- and their difference from 'standard' medieval fantasy, the firearms rules and the existing campaign. I found it pleasantly reminiscent of a blend of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Maelstrom. I'd love for it to have more campaigns or adventures.

Well, but it's NOT medieval, is it?  Explicitly after the medieval era...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I think he meant he likes it for its differences from standard fantasy which is usually medieval. And the rich, interesting background rooted in so much history - but anyway - back on topic - I know adventures only sell to games masters but every time I've run K&C a few more players have bought the main rule book and maybe go on to run themselves.....

I was a little disappointed to find out that Clockwork of Orange was to be the Cthulhu variant. 

So is there no more support planned for C&C? Seems a shame for such a brilliant game...

• Like 3

I imagine we'll have some more pure C&C at some point. For the first time in a long time our decks are clearing. As Jeff Mindlin points out, we have the splendid A Clockwork of Orange in the works - that's being authored by Jeff Mason, who really is doing a wonderful job. The writing on the first installment is pretty much in the bag. I'm also nearly finished on the editing of a few other works, and The Winter of the World RPG is mostly done. For those who don't know, Ken was pretty poorly for much of last year, hence the lag between the writing, art gathering and editing and the final production. But the good news is that I should have a fairly clear run in 2017 now that a lot of our outstanding projects are moved on past the point where I have anything much to do. Sure, we'll still have our other lines being added to as well, but hopefully I'll have some more time to do some actual writing myself. As ever, I will do my best to keep folk posted - although we have a growing stable of writers, we are a tiny company and our output is pretty high considering, but we can never get all the things we have planned to production at once. None of our lines have been forgotten or dropped (although I understand the schedule must feel that way at times!).

• Like 3

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

And of course, Rolling Thunder is still going strong - I believe issue 3 is being worked on for a Christmas release. Hopefully we'll see some C&C stuff in there at some point :)

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread

• 5 weeks later...

Omnibus III? WHEN? IF? HOW? WHO (maybe The Doctor)?

That uncertainty and the motor troubles of my triplane over the trenches of the Somme yesterday really make me cranky.

Another year without the third part and I will get My Big Red Beauty some extra-high octane gasoline and come over to Old Blighty and give you a good strafing!

A happy new year and - you have been warned!;)

• Like 2

On 30/12/2016 at 5:56 PM, Der Rote Baron said:

Omnibus III? WHEN? IF? HOW? WHO (maybe The Doctor)?

That uncertainty and the motor troubles of my triplane over the trenches of the Somme yesterday really make me cranky.

Another year without the third part and I will get My Big Red Beauty some extra-high octane gasoline and come over to Old Blighty and give you a good strafing!

A happy new year and - you have been warned!;)

I couldn't get my Sopwith started, so decided to order some reference books and return to my K&C notes instead. It'll take a while, because I still have some editing and other duties, but work on K&CV has recommenced - I started fleshing out some more of the personalities, geography, politics and plot today.

Edited by doomedpc
  • Like 2

Peter Cakebread

14 hours ago, doomedpc said:

I couldn't get my Sopwith started, so decided to order some reference books and return to my K&C notes instead. It'll take a while, because I still have some editing and other duties, but work on K&CV has recommenced - I started fleshing out some more of the personalities, geography, politics and plot today.

SEHR GUT, MEIN HERR! Der Baron salutes you and  is looking forward to spending his hard earned money on the finished product.

See, guys: All it needs is a little incentive (in the form of unleashing Good Old Teutonic Fury!) and voila! - we get adventures!

Edited by Der Rote Baron
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Each to his own, of course.

In a world of alternative history, however, where diabolical clockwork, alchemy and witchcraft are accepted facts of life, it is difficult to avoid a certain fantasy element, Lovecraft or no.  How it is handled is perhaps the essential question.

History is no Masterpiece Theater.  Those who shy away from insanity, a central theme of Lovecraft, should probably avoid The Thirty Years War entirely, when deserters were eaten on occasion by the starving populace, when children who tried to smuggle bits of food into a besieged city were hung in sight of the walls.  See, for example, the woodcuts of Jacques Callot from that period, a village of people hung from the same tree by soldiers.  Famine from a rise in the price of grain drove whole families to join hands and walk calmly to their deaths together in the cold, green waves of the ocean, rather than watch each other individually starve to death.   

The more fantastic or horrific elements of a game become, perhaps, the more important it is for the other elements of the story to be authentic, to convey the normal world against which the not-so-normal world stands out in stark relief.  If everything were Mordor, there would be nothing worth defending left in the Shire.  I remember a Japanese exchange student asking me, after we saw the Fellowship of the Ring together at the movies, how Frodo and Sam could possibly hope to overcome the Dark Lord?

"With friendship," I replied. 

Lovecraft was actually not too strong a writer of the commonplace, in my opinion, from which his works of horror sometimes suffered a loss of credibility, relying too much on archetype and perhaps not enough on the more subtly nuanced depravity of everyday life.  A GM, however, may adopt the strengths of Lovecraft while not also laying claim to his weaknesses.  

Edited by Julich1610
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is more than enough magic and the fantastic in C&C already - and with the Civil War background enough of misery and dread, too. I do like Lovecraft's stories (some more, some less) but it has become a bit of a fad to put Great Cthulhu and the rest of the Cosmic Chaps into each and every setting.

Sells, seems like, but does not make the strory neccessarily a better one.

For me, it is not so much as avoiding the fantastic or horrid but to avoid going for the same old loving crafted stories of Narly, Big C and the Gang.

If I want that I'll play CoC.

• Like 2

What I would find useful as a GM is more alt-history spins on real figures of the war. Plot hooks and reaction tables to aid the GM to role play the interaction of these fascinating figures when the PC's run across them. For example; I have the PC's going to attempt a meet and greet with Thomas Brown and Henry Ireton in good old Norwich and I have to come up with how this would play out. Sure wikipedia can give me bio's on these chaps, but giving them a C&C twist... well, I'd pay some money so I wouldn't have to do all the heavy lifting. Being a Yankee it is hard to get up to speed on English Civil War history and it seems deep, fascinating and tragic. Look forward to more from you guys!

• Like 1
The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

• 6 months later...