Baboons - real-world cognate?

g33k

Is there an exact species in the real world that forms the foundation/type for the intelligent baboons (known in Prax &c)?

Drill or Mandrill?  Anubis or Chacma baboon?  Or ... ?

They do run larger than any of the extant species -- human-normal, according to the SIZ in my RQClassic.

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Drill or Mandrill?  

Members of the Cercopithecidae but not the genus Papio, so these can be discounted.

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Anubis or Chacma baboon?  Or ... ?

Both large species or subspecies, and both might be used as a vague template, but Gloranthan intelligent Baboons are Papio Sapiens, a species with no terrestrial equivalent.

• Like 1

Martin is on the right track, not the drill or mandrill, but certainly based on the Papio genus. Given the real world confusion about the classification of the species within this genus, I would say the argument for the five species being subspecies helps us in giving us a basis for a broad variation in types, like humans. Size as per RQ2 makes human size. I've added this to the baboon section of the Prax book.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/