Q&A with the new BRP Author

Jason D

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the protection value for ancient armor going to be on a scale of 1(light leather/cloth) to 6(Plate) Like in RQ1 or 1 (light leather) to 8(plate) like in RqIII? For me I like the range from 1 to 8 as I feel it give my players more options ( My monsters already have what ever armor I want to give them)

Is the protection value for ancient armor going to be on a scale of 1(light leather/cloth) to 6(Plate) Like in RQ1 or 1 (light leather) to 8(plate) like in RqIII? For me I like the range from 1 to 8 as I feel it give my players more options ( My monsters already have what ever armor I want to give them)

At the bottom of the scale is hide/soft leather/heavy clothing with an armor value of 1, and at the top is powered assault armor with a 24.

Full plate is 8.

Fatigue rules for BRP? What's the current version? Not the RQ3 mess I hope? :rolleyes:

SGL.

It's an optional system, and there are two options.

The first is a slightly improved version of the RQ3 mess, while the second is the easier version from Elric!/Stormbringer.

One of these days, I'll post my unified resource system for power points, fatigue points, and sanity points.

That sounds very interesting! I can easily see the connections between those pools of points. :)

Yeah, it always bugged me that the system was so inconsistent about them.

HP = [CON+SIZ]/2

MP/PP = POW

SAN = POW x 5

FT = STR+CON

I always wanted to make them all sort of work in the same method and refigure the rest of the values, like this:

HP = CON+SIZ (healthier, bigger people have more HP)

MP/PP = POW+CON (healthier, more willful people have more PP)

SAN = INT+POW (reasoning and will help resist insanity)

FT = unchanged

This, of course, would lead to changing weapon damages, power use costs, sanity losses, and fatigue, and I'd treat all of those resources like something that does damage against them.

SAN losses would be chunked away if you fail your Luck or Idea roll, but would be less (because you've got less to lose).

Fatigue would be lost per turn of heavy activity based on your actions/armor/burden, and you might make Effort rolls (CON x 5%) to avoid losing them.

And so on....

How does the damage bonus work? Is it a fixed number? Bonus Dice? How does it interact with ranged/thrown weapons?

Thanks!

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Same as in Stormbringer. Only 1/2 damage bonus for ranged weapons.

Ah, uh... How do they work in Stormbringer again? I have the rules somewhere but have not looked at them for a looong time. :)

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

30/420

Ah, uh... How do they work in Stormbringer again? I have the rules somewhere but have not looked at them for a looong time. :)

Add STR+SIZ.

If total is below 17, it's a -1d4 damage bonus.

If 17-24, no bonus.

If 25-32, +1d4 to damage.

If 33-40, +1d6 damage.

40+ more damage (increases in steps of 16, if I remember correctly).

HP = [CON+SIZ]/2

MP/PP = POW

SAN = POW x 5

FT = STR+CON

I always wanted to make them all sort of work in the same method and refigure the rest of the values, like this:

FT = unchanged

Oh, like that. Hmm... I thought you meant a collective pool. Especially for MP and FP, POW+CON maybe (with STR determining how much you could carry). Both mental and fysical exhaustion having an effect on both mind and body. It could work for SAN too, as long as SAN point loss weren't permanent - but could lead to some temporary or permanent fobi if SAN-type of loss was what brought it down to zero.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

HP = [CON+SIZ]/2

MP/PP = POW

SAN = POW x 5

FT = STR+CON

FT = unchanged

This, of course, would lead to changing weapon damages, power use costs, sanity losses, and fatigue, and I'd treat all of those resources like something that does damage against them.

I can see why those characteristics might play better into the secondarys... but why not divide the sum by 2... to keep the result similar to the numbers we already have and avoid having to reconfigure the rest of the system (weapon damgaes, power use costs, etc.) to suit?

At least for HP, MP, PP, FT... it seems like averaging the combined stats gives a number still within the normal range... just better representing the character.

Or am I (more than likely) missing something obvious?

I can see why those characteristics might play better into the secondarys... but why not divide the sum by 2... to keep the result similar to the numbers we already have and avoid having to reconfigure the rest of the system (weapon damgaes, power use costs, etc.) to suit?

At least for HP, MP, PP, FT... it seems like averaging the combined stats gives a number still within the normal range... just better representing the character.

Or am I (more than likely) missing something obvious?

You raise good points.

Mainly, I'm finding that when I play BRP for fantasy settings, I like the player characters to be more robust... which is why I had the heroic HP optional rule in the BRP corebook (heroes and special NPCs figure HP as SIZ+CON, mooks use the regular formula). Having the numbers creep up into the 20-30 range (on average) for HP and PP/MP makes for tougher combats, more powers being able to be used, etc.

But that's just me. There's no reason at all one couldn't just do all of the averaging and keep the other factors (except for SAN) at the same values.

One of the alternatives that I conceived during the playtesting (but didn't put into the book) was using Fatigue at [sTR+CON]/2 as non-lethal HP.

With this system:

• Damage with non-lethal weapons (mostly hand-to-hand) is rolled normally.
  • The minimum possible roll value is subtracted from the roll and applied to HP. The rest come out of Fatigue.
  • If you're using the Martial Arts skill and succeed in using it, you can chose to make your unarmed attacks all FP, "normal", or all HP. You need to announce what you're doing before rolling, though.
  • Criticals and specials work as normal, with points subtracted as above.
  • If your Fatigue reaches 0, you're out cold.
  • Any excess FP are taken out of HP.
  • FP regenerate normally.

For example, if you're using Brawl (1d3+1d4db), you'd roll your 1d6/2 and your 1d4. Assume a roll of 5 (2+3). You can roll a minimum of 2 on 2 dice. You subtract 2 from 5, inflicting 2 HP and 3 FP on your opponent.

One of the alternatives that I conceived during the playtesting (but didn't put into the book) was using Fatigue at [sTR+CON]/2 as non-lethal HP.

With this system:

• The minimum possible roll value is subtracted from the roll and applied to HP. The rest come out of Fatigue.
  • If you're using the Martial Arts skill and succeed in using it, you can chose to make your unarmed attacks all FP, "normal", or all HP. You need to announce what you're doing before rolling, though.

For example, if you're using Brawl (1d3+1d4db), you'd roll your 1d6/2 and your 1d4. Assume a roll of 5 (2+3). You can roll a minimum of 2 on 2 dice. You subtract 2 from 5, inflicting 2 HP and 3 FP on your opponent.

I like the concept of non-lethal damage. I'll have to give it some thought.

BRP Ze 32/420

At the bottom of the scale is hide/soft leather/heavy clothing with an armor value of 1, and at the top is powered assault armor with a 24.

Full plate is 8.

Gear head question- and that 24 point powered armor represents how much of what kind of material?

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

Gear head question- and that 24 point powered armor represents how much of what kind of material?

Assault Armor (Heavy), Powered: Similar to ‘Assault Armor’ above, but massive and with thick armored plating and internal servomotors boosting the wearer’s strength. Combatants in powered heavy assault armor often use it to wield massive weapons. It is often given modular enhancements, such as jetpacks, and is sealed against chemical weapons or the vacuum of space.

With this system:

Excellent idea. the only prob is if in play reality the FP amount is not too much for bookkeeping. But I like it and I think I will try this rule in one of my next games. How does FP regenerate in your rule?

How do you like the idea that you subtract the targets STR bonus (eg. 1d4, 1d6) from the damage you do with non-lethal weapons or brawl? Would simulate the "tough" and trained guys are more difficult to damage in hand-to-hand combat.

Excellent idea. the only prob is if in play reality the FP amount is not too much for bookkeeping. But I like it and I think I will try this rule in one of my next games. How does FP regenerate in your rule?

If you're using the FP rules as normal, on average a character will have 20ish FP. If struck by a character with no damage bonus, they can take around 20 punches to be knocked out (assuming a roll of 2 on 1d3), but then, they'll also have taken 10 HP in damage, which should be enough to put them out cold as well. Against someone with a 1d4 damage bonus, you're looking at an average of them taking 2 HP and 2-3 FP per round, making for a much shorter fight, but simulating more of both the reality of trying to punch someone out cold, as well as cinematic unarmed combat.

How do you like the idea that you subtract the targets STR bonus (eg. 1d4, 1d6) from the damage you do with non-lethal weapons or brawl? Would simulate the "tough" and trained guys are more difficult to damage in hand-to-hand combat.

I think it's double-dipping.

A character's SIZ is already helping with a damage bonus, and in all likelihood, a character with high STR+SIZ is also going to have a higher number of HP than average. The damage bonus is a tremendous edge over a character without one, and I think it's just too unbalancing to make it also add armor protection (especially considering how low most armor protection values already are).

If you're using the FP rules as normal, on average a character will have 20ish FP. If struck by a character with no damage bonus, they can take around 20 punches to be knocked out (assuming a roll of 2 on 1d3), but then, they'll also have taken 10 HP in damage, which should be enough to put them out cold as well. Against someone with a 1d4 damage bonus, you're looking at an average of them taking 2 HP and 2-3 FP per round, making for a much shorter fight, but simulating more of both the reality of trying to punch someone out cold, as well as cinematic unarmed combat.

I think it's double-dipping.

A character's SIZ is already helping with a damage bonus, and in all likelihood, a character with high STR+SIZ is also going to have a higher number of HP than average. The damage bonus is a tremendous edge over a character without one, and I think it's just too unbalancing to make it also add armor protection (especially considering how low most armor protection values already are).

Real life is also unbalanced. Its really hard even for a martial artist to take out muscular, trained guys and this finds not enough reflection in the BRP rules. And to counter this I came up with this idea. Its not a real armor protection. I would rather call it absorption, because its only against unarmed combat and similar damage and not against normal weapon damage. With subtracting the targets damage bonus from your unarmed damage roll I think it is dealing with the problem. It can also be applied if you like to hit an animal with your hands or feet.

Eg you kick a bear in BRP (Cthulhu now rules) and martial arts. You are trained and have +1d4 damage bonus. So you have 2d6+1d4 damage, an average of 9,5, The hide of a bear absorbs just 2 points I guess)

This means in average a damage of 7,5 goes through. And this is totally unrealistic, because one slightly above the average kick in the stomach will take out the bear and two will maybe kill him.

Not so, if you subtract the damage bonus of the bear (2d6) from your kick damage only an average of 2,5 goes through, which seems much more plausible to me. Applying such a rule means also that only a strong person (or martial artist with double damage skill) will in average be able to damage another strong person with unarmed combat. Criticals brawl rolls are an exception, because like as always "armor" will be passed by.

Another reason for this simple little homerule was that you can make brawling less lethal in many situations without having to introduce many other rules.

Trying to stick to the question/answer format... :)

Do you know if campaign or setting books will include all the rules needed to play or if the BRP core book will be required?

If the BRP core book is required to use setting books, is there an easy method to indicated which optional rules, if any, are used by a setting? Something like a form that can be filled out that shows all the optional rules used.

For instance, the Deadworld setting that is coming out. Is there a simple, standard way to know if they use Sanity or not? Hit locations or not? etc.

30/420

I believe the plan is to support the core book with smaller setting books, rather than reprinting the core rules over and over again.

I submitted a checklist for optional rules with the manuscript, but I suspect that it'll be up to the individual authors whether or not to utilize such a thing.

No idea.

It's not a Chaosium product, so it's really up to Chris Helton and the gang at Seraphim Guard what portions of the core rules to use or change. I don't know what the licensing guidelines are, but I'd be surprised if it allowed Chaosium to dictate what optional rules are present in the game design.