Conversion hooks

xalabin

There are a few in the side comments (e.g. Size conversion in chap. 1 or bonus conversion in chap. 2). Many of the other ones are indeed more recommandations about how to keep some traditional D100 mechanics with Revolution D100 (e.g. Power overcoming, Characteristic rolls...), but this gives you hooks about what can be kept in the classical d100 rules when using a Revolution rule instead. Anyway, I am not sure there is a need for plug-in hooks for most of these rules, which could be applied like that on other D100 rulesets. My only concern is about the advanced combat: using the special effects while keeping the traditional damage/armour system may become too deadly. But I must admit that I did not try.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

The specific points are marked with the "Quill&Pen" icon in the sidebars. As Zit said, they are not "holes" that allow you to fit another piece of game into them, but advice about what you can safely import from other ruleset (OpenQuest, Legend, Mythras) and in many cases "how" you can fit the alternate "legacy" rule.

Most of these "hybrid" combinations have actually been tested. They clearly have an impact on play, but all hybridations explicitly mentionad in the book can be considered "safe": they will not break the game. And when they might pose some balance problems, we have included one or two options you might adopt to keep things balanced. But this is only in case you actually experience such issues.

As for Zit's concern, it is indeed true: you may have noticed that "traditional hit points" are not among the options we explicitly mention (while fixed armour is). This is because all weapons and combat manoeuvres are designed to deal extremely high amounts of damage, or to easily ignore armour to do lesser amounts of damage. If you adopt the classic combat model where multiple 1-point hits in the same location can still disable you, the whole weapon/manoeuvre system should be redesigned. Therefore, this is one of the points where we do not recommend "system hybridation": we suggest that you either use Revolution "as is", or import the whole combat sub-system from another declination of D100.

PS: of course not all possible combinations of rules could fit into the page count of the book. If you, xalabin, or anyone else, have specific doubts about how to import a specific mechanic, or how to convert bits and pieces from scenarios for other systems, please use this thread to ask. I suppose there are lots of such questions and inquiries. Above all, though, I recommend that you give the game a try: conflicts and advanced combat require "field experience" to fully understand them, just reading is not enough. For those who do not feel inclined to making conversions on the fly, I have included my most tested scenario (out of 30 years of writing adventures) in the book to make sure that the game is immediately playable.

Edited by RosenMcStern
  • Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM