[M-SPACE] Scenario teaser: REFLUX

clarence

The Constellate never fell. It faded.

The year is Y3260. The Ocath subsector is free, after many years under The Constellate’s brutal rule.

Free, but in turmoil.

REFLUX Cover Preview.jpg

REFLUX is a scenario for M-SPACE to be released early in 2017. It introduces The Weaver setting, telling an epic story about a dying empire called The Constellate.

A starship fleeing from the The Constellate's armed forces disappeared 170 years ago, and now the characters must go to the world Qioria to search for it. But time is short. The planet is on a slow but deliberate course for destruction from aggressive extraction of omeril gas, and the hell holes of ignited subterranean gas grow every day.

Their only hope seems to emanate from the long forgotten teachings of The Weavers.

––––––––

I would also like to thank everyone for the amazing support since M-SPACE was released. It has been very inspiring to get such positive feedback from all of you, and there are several new books in the works, with REFLUX being the first follow-up release.
  • Like 9

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

• 2 months later...

Just a quick progress report on REFLUX, the upcoming scenario for M-SPACE: I got the text back from the editor a couple of days ago, and all maps and illustrations are done. Unfortunately my computer crashed the other day (luckily, no work was lost), but as soon as it's fixed I will get the layout done rather quickly.

If all goes well, it will be a late March release, or early April. 

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

47 minutes ago, rsanford said:

Can you tell us a bit about it?

Ummm... 

On 12/20/2016 at 4:04 AM, clarence said:
The Constellate never fell. It faded.
The year is Y3260. The Ocath subsector is free, after many years under The Constellate’s brutal rule.
Free, but in turmoil.

REFLUX is a scenario for M-SPACE to be released early in 2017. It introduces The Weaver setting, telling an epic story about a dying empire called The Constellate.
A starship fleeing from the The Constellate's armed forces disappeared 170 years ago, and now the characters must go to the world Qioria to search for it. But time is short. The planet is on a slow but deliberate course for destruction from aggressive extraction of omeril gas, and the hell holes of ignited subterranean gas grow every day.
Their only hope seems to emanate from the long forgotten teachings of The Weavers.

Don't you mean "a bit more about it"?

:D

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Ok, here are a few more details : ) 

The book will be around 120 pages (10+ in color), roughly half of them covering the setting and some new rules, the rest being a scenario. 

A snippet from the introductory chapter:

"[The book] introduces the characters to The Weaver setting, telling an epic story about a dying empire called The Constellate. Small kingdoms and federations have risen in its wake, fighting for power, while the baroque empire struggles to keep its rotten core from collapsing. In this chaotic age, hope seems to emanate from the long forgotten teachings of The Weavers – a species almost wiped out by The Constellate’s forces, centuries ago."

The scenario includes some investigations, several Extended Conflicts (both social and other types), and a bit of ground & space combat. Suggestions on how to dial up or down the difficulty of the scenario are presented, plus a list of missions to continue with after the adventure is finished. 

Two intelligent alien species and worlds are detailed, a few new careers, specifics about FTL and comms are included as well as some new equipment. There is a subsector map, two world maps, and a handful of more detailed maps (among them a cantina, a small town, and starship plans). 

57 minutes ago, clarence said:

... roughly half of them covering the setting and some new rules, the rest being a scenario. 

Hmmm.  Can you go into a bit of detail about your plans for how you will publish the Weaver setting &c  vs  adventures in it?

I find a 50/50 blend a bit problematic, honestly... I like DURABLE sourcebooks, made to a higher standard; but I regard "scenario" books rather like consumable goods.  I dislike paying the "durable goods" premium on disposable "adventure" material, AND I dislike having sourcebooks fall apart under use.

That said, small adventures (say, 10%-20% of content) are a welcome way to gain entry to a new setting, and heartily approve of that element...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

The problem with science fiction is you can't release scenarios without setting information. There is no widely accepted common ground to rely on. Star Wars could have been, but business interests are locking it in.

Regarding the plans for The Weaver setting, I'm not sure yet. I have potential scenarios, setting details and rules, but very little in the way of concrete plans. My next title will be the setting/game Odd Soot, but after that I will have to see.

That being said, I'm thinking about having both a colour and a B&W version of REFLUX. That way you can decide what quality level you want. It's a bit more work, but I think it can be worth it.