Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

Arthritis still a pain (feel like one of the undead for much of the day, having upped the painkillers) but still working...

Progress so far, from rough to latest (not yet finished).

Need to finish the shading and then join up with the unicorn. Realised that as unicorns are smaller than horses, her other foot might show, so prepared for this.

so far.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Finished (deliberating if the unicorn is large enough, but they are smaller than horses).

Smaller than which horses? 

The stats in the RQ bestiary make them somewhat larger than the sample horse - 4D6+18 for unicorns, 4D6+12 for the horse or 3D6+18 for the War Zebra.

Does the rider have a side-arm? The shield slung on her back does seem to imply one, unless it serves as body armor only.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Smaller than which horses? 

The stats in the RQ bestiary make them somewhat larger than the sample horse - 4D6+18 for unicorns, 4D6+12 for the horse or 3D6+18 for the War Zebra.

In the copy of the Bestiary I have...

Unicorn: SIZ 2D6+18 Average 26 [Even if the 2D6+18 is in error, the average is still smaller than an average standard horse and I determined the size by comparing it with drawings of Seredae.]

Maybe it's been updated. I haven't had a notification that the PDF has been changed...

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Does the rider have a side-arm? The shield slung on her back does seem to imply one, unless it serves as body armor only.

Afraid this image is only 2D.

Edited by M Helsdon

4 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

In the copy of the Bestiary I have...

Unicorn: SIZ 2D6+18 Average 26

Maybe it's been updated. I haven't had a notification that the PDF has been changed...

That appears to be the case - I purchased mine comparatively late.

4 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Afraid this image is only 2D.

True, but her left hip is pointing towards us, and that is free of any scabbard. The right hip appears to have a side quiver, which might have a sheath for a shorter knife attached. Her riding without any tack eliminates the chance to attach useful things to such tack, so whatever she carries into battle must be on her belt - no spear or javelin quiver possible.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

16 minutes ago, Joerg said:

That appears to be the case - I purchased mine comparatively late.

And the average SIZ is?

[If the unicorn is supposed to be larger than a standard horse, I can simply put the components together with a less reduced in size unicorn...]

16 minutes ago, Joerg said:

True, but her left hip is pointing towards us, and that is free of any scabbard. The right hip appears to have a side quiver, which might have a sheath for a shorter knife attached. Her riding without any tack eliminates the chance to attach useful things to such tack, so whatever she carries into battle must be on her belt - no spear or javelin quiver possible.

Any sword or long dagger is on her right hip. Her war belt is supporting the quiver, the pouch and her other weapon.

Edited by M Helsdon

On 2/7/2019 at 3:31 PM, M Helsdon said:

Finished (deliberating if the unicorn is large enough, but they are smaller than horses).

unicorn woman.png

I do realize you're done with this, just something I thought of - you could also show her gorytos, peeking out behind her back. (And it's fine, I'd assume if it wasn't shown, that it's probably hanging unseen, on the other side of the unicorn)

Looking at this Unicorn Rider reminded me of the Turks as depicted in the excellent Resurrection Ertugrul TV Series. They use Composite Bows but have saddlebags with an extra bag for their bow and arrows, it simply goes over the horse's flank, normally over the saddle bags, and has a large space for the stringed bow and a smaller one for quivers of arrows. Nice and easy.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, JanPospisil said:

I do realize you're done with this, just something I thought of - you could also show her gorytos, peeking out behind her back. (And it's fine, I'd assume if it wasn't shown, that it's probably hanging unseen, on the other side of the unicorn)

If you look between her right arm and body, you'll see a portion of a quiver/gorytos with arrows. Did deliberate having the arrows extend upwards beyond her arm, but it didn't work.

Edited by M Helsdon

Interesting. Is this based on a direct description, or extrapolation?

On the one hand I can why the DHan would be more elaborate and ostentatious, due to DH's imperial pretenses and accumulated wealth - but on the other hand, Pelanda is famously the land of artists and artisans. Perhaps this just reflects a particularly naturalistic and minimalist style? Or is it a practical Carmanian influence?

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Interesting. Is this based on a direct description, or extrapolation?

As usual, a mixture of both.

The Pelandans formed the first hoplite phalanxes, and one source states they had helmets, corselets, shields and a greave on the left leg. Based on a piece of Six Ages art recently shared depicting Third Eye Blue warriors with the shoulder pieces and gorgets, I decided to adopt those as well (though mine are not so large). To avoid yet more pteruges, I gave him groin-flaps, which were probably worn by some early Greek hoplites. As their armor was made by the TEB or dwarven slaves, I decided that their armour should be plain but functional, and as there's a source that says Pelandan phalanxes never had to raise their kilts like Dara Happans to charge/pursue, he's depicted with a short kilt. The helmet lacks a crest because most of the ones I've drawn have crests, and again, decided to be different. Some Pelandan hoplites probably have crested helmets...

It is also my assumption that the Pelandans would, like most Gloranthans, retain the forms of their ancestors (and perhaps to retain the magics of Daxdarius) so plain and functional would be kept as the template. After researching on the web, I found an ancient email by Jeff referring to Daxdarius probably having the Runes of Death and Stasis (the later, I believe would be useful in a phalanx formation holding its ground in a push of shields and spears).

There are more sources for the Granite Phalanx hoplite, so he's hopefully definitely canonical.

Both of these provided an opportunity to show something of the interior of the shields.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Pelandan and Dara Happan hoplite compared.

I like that they look remarkably different. Most variations of hoplites that I have seen look very similar.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, Brootse said:

M Helsdon, there are three soldiers I'd really like to see; a Thunder Delta slinger, a Silver Shield Hypastist, and a javeliner who has an amentum. Trolls too!

I've a Silver Shield hypaspist (third row, sixth from left), and several peltasts but an amentum/ankyle is a bit small to show as it's just a leather strap. No trolls. Might do a Thunder Delta slinger next week, as it would fit in the Fortifications chapter as slingers are mentioned there. Would like to draw a sapper, but whilst canon sources indicate the Lunar Army has them, details are 'sparse'.

Small versions of the figures drawn so far [Note: not shown to exactly the same scale.]

Am approaching the point where I have all the sketches that will fit inside the main text without increasing the page count (which currently stands at 360, as I ejected some of the appendices). This does not include the images of axes, swords, spears, shields, armor, fortifications which I've also made.

Chapter

Number of sketches

Additional sketches

required

Introduction

Fundamentals of Warfare

Arms and Armor

Regional Warfare

The Battlefield

17½

Transport and Mobility

Fortifications and Siege Warfare

1-2?

Arcane Warfare  

Gods of War

Armies of Central Genertela

Hero Wars Army Lists

55 miniatures

Appendices

thirty smaller3.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

I've a Silver Shield hypaspist (third row, sixth from left), and several peltasts but an amentum/ankyle is a bit small to show as it's just a leather strap. No trolls. Might do a Thunder Delta slinger next week, as it would fit in the Fortifications chapter as slingers are mentioned there. Would like to draw a sapper, but whilst canon sources indicate the Lunar Army has them, details are 'sparse'.

Small versions of the figures drawn so far [Note: not shown to exactly the same scale.]

Am approaching the point where I have all the sketches that will fit inside the main text without increasing the page count (which currently stands at 360, as I ejected some of the appendices). This does not include the images of axes, swords, spears, shields, armor, fortifications which I've also made.

Chapter

Number of sketches

Additional sketches

required

Introduction

Fundamentals of Warfare

Arms and Armor

Regional Warfare

The Battlefield

17½

Transport and Mobility

Fortifications and Siege Warfare

1-2?

Arcane Warfare  

Gods of War

Armies of Central Genertela

Hero Wars Army Lists

55 miniatures

Appendices

thirty smaller3.png

Thanks!

On 2/16/2019 at 6:21 PM, Brootse said:

M Helsdon, there are three soldiers I'd really like to see; a Thunder Delta slinger, a Silver Shield Hypastist, and a javeliner who has an amentum. Trolls too!

Thunder Delta slinger almost finished - hopefully tomorrow (have intentionally diverged from some old illustrations to try to depict something more likely to be worn by reindeer herders).

I've misplaced the memory stick with my sketches on, but I think I know where it is...

Edited by M Helsdon