Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

On 4/1/2019 at 9:45 PM, M Helsdon said:

The Bush Range - part of the Old Tarsh territory.

Bush Children

Type

Light Infantry

Armor

None

Weapons

Bow, broadsword, shield

Morale

Militia

Patron Deity

Voriof

Notes

Tarshite Psiloi.

Magic Factor

Low

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

The Bush Ranges are rugged hill-land on both sides of the north Dragonspine. The irregular steep hills and overgrown valleys make poor farming and grazing. It is well suited to the bandit clans who live there. The Bush Children are the settlers of the Bush Ranges in the foothills of Kero Fin. They are herders, hunters, and bandits, who excel at scouting and hit-and-run skirmishes. These bandit clans usually have no loyalty to each other or any outsider lord.

These units trace their origins to the days after the Battle of Grizzly Peak, when many Tarshites fled the Lunar ravaging of the clans in the hills of the Bush Ranges. Many sought sanctuary in Sartar where they served as mercenaries, fighting the Lunar advance.

This group are adept at fighting in craggy terrain, scaling sheer cliffs, and setting ambushes.

Latest two images reworked a little.

rework.png

Thanks!

On 4/2/2019 at 10:14 PM, Brootse said:

Thanks!

You are welcome.

The fan book is full of 'information' like this, but whilst it attempts to be as canonical as possible, isn't canonical.

There's a chapter where every unit (and several more) that appears in the Dragon Pass board game has a table of 'stats' and as much additional information as I can gather, with the exception of the Baron's Friends unit, about which I have been unable to find anything. Some units and regiments have a half page of information, others a bare paragraph. In a few cases have attempted to make 'informed' speculation (but may have made 2+2 = 5...)

The tabulated information is intended to be a 'quick reference', with a color denoting pantheon, and the basic details to permit a GM to equip allies or enemies for PCs to encounter. The 1st Bush Children should have been orange, not green...

Sadly, not every entry in the Army Lists has an illustration (would need about eighty more, and it has taken me more than six months to draw around sixty).

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

You know pretty soon we are going to start pushing for a second book of the rejected art. Most of it is pretty good.

In this example, there were a number of problems with the original (on the right) - the main ones being that the scale armor faded in places and the central ridges weren't correct for scales of this size. The scales themselves simply weren't convincing.

In the past eight or nine months my sketching technique, has, I hope, improved, which means that the sketches in the book vary wildly in quality and style. Am now using a different pen, using a light box which helps me judge shading, and adding flesh tones digitally. Re-drawing a sketch without significant changes takes a day or two - the Manirian crossbowman was redrawn from scratch and took three or four days.

Edited by M Helsdon

Oh you've definitely improved, and your reworked pictures are an upgrade. I'm just saying you have a lot of good drawings out there. Even your "bad" stuff isn't actually "bad" - it's just that your "good" stuff is better. 

• Like 6

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

22 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Oh you've definitely improved, and your reworked pictures are an upgrade. I'm just saying you have a lot of good drawings out there. Even your "bad" stuff isn't actually "bad" - it's just that your "good" stuff is better. 

Thank you for your kind comment, but I'd like the material to be as 'good' as I can make it.

Today redrew one of the simpler sketches. [A long day and couldn't do anything difficult.]

comparison27.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Thank you for your king comment, but I'd like the material to be as 'good' as I can make it.

And we all appreciate that. You could have stopped drawing and rested on your laurels a long time ago, but you keep improving things. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

No new art today: time divided between preparatory sketching and filling in a few sections in the 'Gods of War' chapter: realized there was material in a deleted appendix about Bisos and Karndasal which could be re-purposed. Whilst there's material on the war gods everyone will know, that isn't overly long as have attempted to fill in some details on less well known deities. Of course, I haven't seen the new 'Gods of Glorantha' book in any form (other than the Polaris chapter) so there might be additional material in there...

Have also attempted to expand on the different military traditions in each satrapy, as their military aren't just 'Lunar'. Whilst there's quite a bit on information on many Pelorian military traditions (Lunar, Dara Happan, Pelandan, Carmanian, and even Orlanthi and Templars in Sylila) in my fan book, there are four about which I can find virtually nothing (the old Imperial Lunar Handbooks are often interesting, but decidedly unreliable now, and even they have next-to-nothing on the 'missing' military). Instead, have had to rely upon the few regiments that belong to undocumented traditions, and extrapolate, which  still leaves two with little or no data available. When assessing the peripheral territories, I was able to do better than that (and decided to exclude the Loskalmi as the Western Reaches are outside my self-imposed remit).

So, if anyone has material on Rinliddi, Manimati, Darjiini, or Darsenite military history/traditions which is or was canonical at one time (excluding the ILH) would be grateful for anything that can be shared.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1

Nothing forthcoming, and only silly comments on FB so I deleted the request there and... after working through the Guide, TFS, GRoY, a few other sources, I have about a page in total on all the smaller military traditions in Peloria, plus an analysis of which satrapies they reside in. Some suppositions made based on terrain.

Unfortunately, I need another page as it throws all the pagination off. Saddened that Rinliddi especially is obviously a significant culture, but the available information is very slim.

Addendum: a bit more material found (including something @jajagappa posted about Imther). Pagination resolved, but... I think will need another sketch....

Another collection of those redone so far. This shows about a third of the 'art' I've created so far.

comparisons.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, M Helsdon said:

So, if anyone has material on Rinliddi, Manimati, Darjiini, or Darsenite military history/traditions which is or was canonical at one time (excluding the ILH) would be grateful for anything that can be shared.

May be relevant that Palangio Iron-Vrok was from Rinliddi. Perhaps something could be extrapolated? He certainly was a militant fellow and a general, and his way of doing warfare might have influenced his own people (or been influenced by them)...

Is it possible that the Darjiini/Manimati are mostly demilitarized? They are the targets of the Alkothi We Hate Darjiini Usurpers Wars (in a form that vaguely resembles the Spartan-Helot relationship), and have supposedly been unable to claim any kind of independence since the Dara Happans stole the Broche of Manimat.

Obviously there will be guards and soldiers in the area - but perhaps they might be prohibited from fielding full regiments of any kind?

Beyond that, the term "Stork People" mostly makes me think of light skirmishers. This is purely speculative, of course.