Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

40 minutes ago, Lord High Munchkin said:

It quite often seems small knives and such tools were carried on the outside of bigger/wider scabbards. Leather can be very easily wet moulded if under c. 5 mm.

And indeed, there are a number of sketches depicting such 'weapon packs'. Here's a Sable warrior with an ex-Lunar cavalry helmet, and kopis sword in a combined sword/dagger scabbard. 

sable forum.png

• Like 1

Latest, used as a filler (about half a page). Charg is mentioned in a few places, but unfortunately this can't fit near any of them.

Am now working from front to back to fill white space a quarter of a page or larger (may be three or four such places) generating sketches to fill towards the end of chapters to minimize changes to layout.

bull-rider forum.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Could he be a Brolian? I know it's a bit random, and that Brolians are said to mostly not have metalworking, but if you need to squeeze it in somewhere...

The Brolians herd sheep but their land may be too rugged for cattle; Charg, when it emerges from the Ban, is ruled by Bull Lords, so I have assumed that some at least, ride bulls.

Whilst there's information in the Guide for the westerly Orlanthi, many of the lesser groups have little more than a paragraph, which isn't unexpected given the scale and coverage of the books.

Certainly, 'historically', there have been bull riders in roughly that region, and whilst the practice may be more widespread (if rare) I really wanted to draw one. It also gave me an opportunity to draw a different variety of Orlanthi.

Today the pad is exhausted (cat walked over some of the remaining sheets with wet feet and left them crinkled) and the last 0.05mm pen in the box was used, so have had to order more. The bull probably used up 'half a pen' as it was drawn using crosshatching, which gives an interesting texture, but is fairly laborious. 

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Started on the next. Only time for one part today (using a portion of paper that hadn't been walked on by the cat).

That was a fearsome cat, or why is this wolf so frightened ior submissive that it has its tail between its legs?

If I visit a farm and a dog (other than a border collie) takes a posture like this, I don't leave the car, because I had bad experiences with frightened dogs of that size.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Currently sketching out another one.

Just did a test to see how the level of text to illustration works out: not too many blocks of uninterrupted text, at least in roughly the first 200 pages...

Those with keen eyes will detect art by Jan Pospíšil (copyright Chaosium), as this was originally thought of as a sort of Osprey book with Jan's plates in the center, but I have subsequently distributed them throughout the book, together with text boxes analyzing the arms and armor depicted. 

At this scale Word loses most of the text; colored boxes are boxes of text, colored to denote related Elemental rune (light green tend to be Logistics); red is of course Lunar, yellow Solar, blue Water, and orange Storm.

98 pages.png

98_2.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 4

Latest. After more than seventy of these finding new poses is a bit tricky, as they are all basically of someone holding a spear/sword/axe so inspiration can come from unexpected places. In this instance, a statue/relief of Gilgamesh...

From left to right: Gilgamesh, concept sketch, scanned drawing, digitally modified drawing.

So...

Introduction - full

Fundamentals of Warfare - full

Arms and Armor - full

Regional Warfare - full

The Battlefield – full

Transport and Mobility - full

Fortifications and Siege Warfare  - ⅛ page – effectively full

Arcane Warfare – ½ page

Gods of War - full

Armies of Central Genertela – n/a

Army Lists – n/a

Appendices – ¼ page

Index – n/a

Sources                - n/a

Next illustration may be a bit different, if it works: evolution of Sun Dome temples over time. On topic as the style initially was a fortification....

bloodspiller sequence.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

In this instance, a statue/relief of Gilgamesh...

Very familiar image.  The attached pictures of Gilgamesh and Enkidu were on display in my parent's living room for many, many years. [IIRC the second was possibly a composite of an Enkidu top and different Gilgamesh bottom as I think the original Enkidu sculpture was damaged.]

IMG_20161209_130942455.jpg

Edited by jajagappa

19 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Very familiar image.  The attached pictures of Gilgamesh and Enkidu were on display in my parent's living room for many, many years. [IIRC the second was possibly a composite of an Enkidu top and different Gilgamesh bottom as I think the original Enkidu sculpture was damaged.]

Nice.

So far as I am aware, there are no images of Enkidu that have been positively identified; there are suggestions that depictions of the wild man/bull man on Mesopotamian seals are of Enkidu. What you may have there are two different versions of Gilgamesh?

5 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

What you may have there are two different versions of Gilgamesh?

I think quite possible, and you'd certainly expect Enkidu to have bull's feet. But it certainly took the "mythic" or "positional" role of Enkidu!  I don't recall what work the plates for the pictures came from. My mom did the coloration with some type of pastel IIRC.

Whilst interesting to rough out, the 'evolution of Sun Dome temples' would require a page, so not suitable as a filler.

Instead, sketched this one, to illustrate an appendix that mentions Tarsh. The arms and armor are intended to be a mixture of native Tarsh and southern Pelorian; the snake head shield boss is intended to show that Ernalda's cultic imagery is important to the militia of Dunstop even if they aren't members of her cult.

Also gave me an opportunity to (finally) draw a Boars' tusk composite helmet - maybe this soldier fought in the Battle of Porkers...

Dunstop forum.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 4

On 7/5/2019 at 8:58 AM, Rob Darvall said:

In all my reading the Dunstop troops come over as a bit of a provincial joke. Then you see this bloke. Not so funny any more.

As the Tarsh civil war heats up, they are going to be allies of Sartar.

Latest image.

The saga of filling up white space:

• Introduction - full
  • Fundamentals of Warfare - full
  • Arms and Armor - full
  • Regional Warfare - full
  • The Battlefield – full
  • Transport and Mobility - full
  • Fortifications and Siege Warfare  - full
  • Arcane Warfare – ½ page
  • Gods of War - full
  • Armies of Central Genertela – n/a
  • Army Lists – n/a
  • Appendices – ⅛ page
  • Index – n/a
  • Sources  - n/a

Going to see if I can fill the Appendices gap with another Tarshite regiment.

vahangi archer forum.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 3

Latest: this time a more Lunarized soldier from Furthest. If it had occurred to me earlier, I might have attempted to draw most of the Tarsh units to illustrate the variation in weapons and armor, and the varying levels of Lunar influence.

Now need to think about that half page of white space in the Arcane Warfare chapter...

The mini set displays all the sketches (with exceptions of horse armor and an Orlanthi chariot). The other drawings of weapons, armor, shields, fortifications, maps are in addition to this.

Furthest forum.png

mini.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was randomly thinking of space-fillers for you the other day, and I was wondering you've ever drawn for example a city wall (either before or after battle), a camp of tents (from the side), some other war-related landscape piece?

I also considered a detail-drawing of an Orlanthi lower arm - detailing various tattoos, but maybe mixed with bracelets and charms, perhaps even Lunar ones, to highlight elements of syncretization.

No idea if that's up your alley, but just leaving it here.

31 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I was randomly thinking of space-fillers for you the other day, and I was wondering you've ever drawn for example a city wall (either before or after battle), a camp of tents (from the side), some other war-related landscape piece?

There are a number of illustrations of different city gates (ranging from a gate of Raibanth, a temple complex in Nochet, Red Cow fort and others) to a gateway of Whitewall before and after the Lunar assault.

32 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I also considered a detail-drawing of an Orlanthi lower arm - detailing various tattoos, but maybe mixed with bracelets and charms, perhaps even Lunar ones, to highlight elements of syncretization.

Not really something that would fit with the book, I'm afraid.

Considering a sketch of the six schools included in the Minor Class Lunar magicians, but that would require six figures, and maybe also a seventh of an Illuminated Major Class magician. I have information on their costumes, but it is twenty years old, and the set would take several weeks.

• Like 2

An overview of the Army Lists chapter. Mostly illustrated with mini versions of larger illustrations elsewhere. Would like every unit to have an illustration, but that would take another year...

Despite my intent to start roughing out Lunar magicians today, I seem instead to have roughed out another member of the Nochet militia...

army list overview.png

• Like 2

Latest: another Irillo Hundred militiaman. 

Wanted to illustrate the shield variant (derived from a canonical source), and the fact that there's no standard equipment for most militias. The shield is a mixture of square for Earth, and a Stasis Rune. Much as Mobility is desired by cavalry, infantry who fight in a shield-wall or phalanx need to 'stand firm'...

Now need to work out where it fits...

Starting to think about the next set, but am stumped by a reference to 'Orian clothing' for one Lunar Minor Class. Obviously the costume of the cult of Oria, but I have no idea what this is. Can anyone help?

Irillo annotated 2nd example forum.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 4