M Helsdon

Swords of Central Genertela

21 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Sketch reworked.

Have now found space for this by deleting an image that wasn't mine.

As the document is pretty much full, decided to take a break as feel the most recent are getting stale. May aim to do one a week. (And today, recent real world events caught up with me and I didn't have the energy to proofread my, or anyone else's text).

Now have to think on my next project.

Whilst hopefully am familiar with the arms and armor of the West (which are partially covered due to the presence of the Carmanians and Western mercenaries in central Genertela) don't have access to sufficient material to populate more than a few pages. Similarly, an Eastern expansion is unlikely, and I lack sufficient knowledge of Chinese or Japanese armies to try to make assumptions (must have several hundred books on ancient Europe, north Africa and the Near East, but only read a dozen or so on warfare in the Far East).

Thubana Peltast annotated.png

Thanks, damn nice work!

Real world issues are limiting my time and energy to do anything Gloranthan. Other than tidying up a sentence about the manufacture of bronze swords did this as an experiment:

Black Horse cutout.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

Ah, Sable riding Orlanthi, uncommon but not unexpected.

Here's one by Jan Pospisil. Sartarite use of Praxian riding animals is not uncommon.

sable.png

Found a home for the latest as a filler at the end of the Army Lists chapter. Now roughing out the next...

Have received a suggestion that most of these sketches might be collected together on a poster, with the figures about 8cm high. Obviously it would make sense to group them by nation/cultures.

A question? Should the annotations identifying pieces of armor be retained or removed?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

A question? Should the annotations identifying pieces of armor be retained or removed?

Retained IMHO. Purely from a selfish persepective being able to point a piece of armour out to an eight YO without delay is worth its weight in doughnoughts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob Darvall said:

Retained IMHO. Purely from a selfish persepective being able to point a piece of armour out to an eight YO without delay is worth its weight in doughnoughts.

90% of sketches in the book are fully annotated. 10% like this latest are not (either because it seemed unnecessary, or because they seemed too cluttered). For posters it might be possible to create one with annotation, and one without.

Arthritis playing up, so not much fine work in this one, which may be the last for a while.

Pittance annotated.png

Edited by M Helsdon

If possible, making the text vector-based would help with avoiding graphical artifacting for a potential poster - but I know dick all about graphical design, so I wouldn't know how to do that, or even if I'm correct.

Anyway, that dude looks pretty good for a "pittance" conscript. What the background on them?

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Anyway, that dude looks pretty good for a "pittance" conscript. What the background on them?

After the Dara Happan revolt of the First Wane, the Lunars disbanded many Dara Happan regiments.

Each of the Tripolis cities are now required to maintain a Pittance Regiment, which are made up of conscripts from the lower classes. He has a second-hand sword, is lucky enough to have an open helmet, and has a self bow.

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

If possible, making the text vector-based would help with avoiding graphical artifacting for a potential poster - but I know dick all about graphical design, so I wouldn't know how to do that, or even if I'm correct.

I have, perhaps foolishly, embedded the text in the sketches.

• Like 1