Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

23 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

And it is done, barring the inevitable typo hunt.

Publish it! Quick!

If only we had a way to publish PDFs about Glorantha through a tried and tested RPG Publisher, with some profits going to the publisher, some to Chaosium and some to the author. Wouldn't that be nice? Wouldn't it be nice if your PDF was included?

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

And my proofreading is complete. Found a significant formatting error ('floating' continuous' section break which shouldn't have been there) and a few other typos today.

Other typos and bugs doubtless remain.

When a document gets to 255,825 words and 381 pages, it's not simple being the author, illustrator, proofreader and layout...

Just need to create a PDF tomorrow.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Some people have asked to see the book.

Here it is:

🙂

There appears to be a page missing or too many? That's an odd number of pages.

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 minutes ago, Joerg said:

And the first page looks like a front cover.

Nope. It's the main credits page. If I could find an artist that was free to take the commission I could afford to do the front cover, there'd be a front cover page.

Edited by M Helsdon

Latest, and last unless I buy more pens... This one literally used up the last ink in about a dozen pens.

An Aggar highlander, suitable for the Billiz Highlanders, Drenthi Grims or the Border Wulf Peltasts.

There's probably only room for the mini-me in the Army Lists.

Hmm, had a comment about his helm being too small (he takes his fox cap off to wear his helmet) so have altered the shading...

drenthi grims forum.png

drenthi grims annotated.png

drenthi helmet.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 4

Funnily enough I've been playing around with a set of rules for the riding beasts as basically they are treated like mopeds, and the SIZ range in RQ is just absurd between members of a species or with horses, breed. The idea is to have a more meaningful way of resolving chases, and a way of differentiating between a good horse and a bad horse of the same breed, let alone between a Jillaran, a Goldeneye and a Vusano in a chase. I'm perfectly aware this is a totally minority thing to be bugged by, but oh well.

The main problem I have had is that impala are just too small, even for pygmies. So for all the pygmy tribes I have assumed that their mounts are 150-200kg (maybe the pick of the herd), which is the minimum you need to carry 50kg, and that they make extensive use remounts (just like the Mongol hordes on their little ponies did). On raids/in war, adolescents hang back from the action with a herd of remounts and as missile ammunition is depleted and mounts tire, the warriors swing back in waves to pick up reloads and a fresh impala/bolo lizard/ostrich, always working it so that there are always a wave of fresh mounts and riders with full quivers on the assault.

So the text assumes (for example) the Orlanthi just called impalas impalas because they look like what they called impalas, but actually they are the size of a lechwe, albeit a dry-plain version. And the real name in Praxian is something else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty Lovering said:

This is all SO beautiful.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Monty Lovering said:

When can I give you money?

If I receive permission, I may bring some copies to sell at Dragonmeet, but: as 380 pages which have to be printed in color because of the extensive color coding, and the limited print run, it would be expensive.

12 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Thank you.

If I receive permission, I may bring some copies to sell at Dragonmeet, but: as 380 pages which have to be printed in color because of the extensive color coding, and the limited print run, it would be expensive.

Yeah, I'm in Europe so I was thinking more of PDFs. 🙂

Are you doing it under the Jonstown Compendium?

5 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Afraid I can only create PDFs using Word.

Well, broadly speaking a PDF is a PDF. I’d just like to buy one whether it’s created in Word or Acrobat Pro 👍

I!d guessed, maybe wrongly, you were going to make the finished product available via the Jonstown Compendium mechanism Moon Design/Chaosium have created and maybe earn a little money from PDF downloads and and print-on-demand options they offer (don’t know if they do). Has the benefit of being with their blessing even if they take a cut of the earnings. 

12 minutes ago, Monty Lovering said:

I!d guessed, maybe wrongly, you were going to make the finished product available via the Jonstown Compendium mechanism Moon Design/Chaosium have created and maybe earn a little money from PDF downloads and and print-on-demand options they offer (don’t know if they do). Has the benefit of being with their blessing even if they take a cut of the earnings. 

Awaiting developments.

• Like 2

I have permission to bring hardcopies of 'The Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass' to Dragonmeet, so now I need to gauge interest to determine how many copies to get printed, and whether I should get a light weight trolley to carry them on (as will be getting there by train and Underground... Cost needs to cover printing and my costs for the day...

• Like 1

Having stumbled across this project, I'd be very interested in obtaining a copy.

I note you indicate "expensive" for price; is there a ball park figure?

I even started looking at the feasibility of going to Dragonmeet (which I confess wasn't on my radar) as I figured cost would be about that for postage if using National Express, with a show to boot. I've discovered the train has a replacement bus service that day anyway, meaning avoiding that = extra time in any case.

For me I'd want to reserve a copy for collection, paying up front (which would probably the most practical way to pay in any case). However, before committing I'd like some idea of potential cost; I'm aware this may depend on numbers printed and whether it's worthwhile for you.

Regards

Neil Patterson