Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

17 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

The Mongols could in some cases do 100 miles per day, although 50 miles per day was more common. 3-4 horses for dedicated cavalry seeems to have been pretty common in history - medieval knights and Mongols both tended to those numbers.

It very much depends on the period and the efficiency of the organisation: having at least one remount was desirable, and for a cataphract, at least five plus pack animals was a good idea. For much of history, horses have been expensive, and suitable cavalry mounts even more so, making it generally an aristocratic game, unless the entity fielding the cavalry was well organised and wealthy. 

For Glorantha, the Mongols aren't a good model; even during the Celestial Empire, Sheng's forces were never that organised as his innovations were magical, not tactical.

11 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

For one thing, they’re going to quickly run out of arrows if they can’t get back behind the line. I recall that in the Parthians’ defeat of Crassus at Carrhae, huge stashes of arrows were used to resupply the horse archers. It takes a lot to wear down Roman legions.

If I recall correctly, the arrow resupply was carried by thousands of camels.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:56 AM, M Helsdon said:

Anaxial's Roster is no longer part of canon.

When an 'out of canon' source is the best source you have, use it unless it is directly contradicted by canon. Where The Bestiary contradicts Anaxials Roster, the Bestiary is correct, but mostly the Bestiary just doesn't say anything about breeds from outside Dragon Pass. In the particular case of horses, AR drew on earlier documents and it is unlikely to contradict canon. 

• Like 1

More or less what I think. 

And like the man said,  YGMV. 

I’m tempted to have the gods as merely vastly powerful humans who were the first to manipulate the Runes, and that much of legend is actually myth, and that (whispers) the world is actually round. 

Bit god learner of me I know and exactly the sort of thing that gets the gods angry 😜

9 hours ago, davecake said:

When an 'out of canon' source is the best source you have, use it unless it is directly contradicted by canon. Where The Bestiary contradicts Anaxials Roster, the Bestiary is correct, but mostly the Bestiary just doesn't say anything about breeds from outside Dragon Pass. In the particular case of horses, AR drew on earlier documents and it is unlikely to contradict canon. 

The Bestiary covers a larger area than Dragon Pass.

I'm not going to get into an argument about canon, but Anaxial is not in the list of canonical documents, old or new, and some things in it are definitely not canonical. I've seen the older documents, including army lists which mention the different breeds of Seredae ridden by different regiments, and whilst I've made use of those, have been wary of using the Roster.

There's an old list of canonical documents here:

https://www.glorantha.com/docs/canon/

It is now a little out of date.

10 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

The Bestiary covers a larger area than Dragon Pass.

I'm not going to get into an argument about canon, but Anaxial is not in the list of canonical documents, old or new, and some things in it are definitely not canonical. I've seen the older documents, including army lists which mention the different breeds of Seredae ridden by different regiments, and whilst I've made use of those, have been wary of using the Roster.

There's an old list of canonical documents here:

https://www.glorantha.com/docs/canon/

It is now a little out of date.

I just want the stats for the hoon

On 11/15/2019 at 12:24 AM, Monty Lovering said:

More or less what I think. 

And like the man said,  YGMV. 

I’m tempted to have the gods as merely vastly powerful humans who were the first to manipulate the Runes, and that much of legend is actually myth, and that (whispers) the world is actually round. 

Bit god learner of me I know and exactly the sort of thing that gets the gods angry 😜

Good point. I like to scare my players by pointing out that there is absolutely nothing to "prove" that the "Gods War" was not the earthly atomic war, and that Genertela isn't post-holocaust North America. They just say that is's flat in the rules because they want you to see it from the character's perspective.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Steve said:

I'm at Dragonmeet and Martin very kindly let me have a quick look at a hard copy. Wow! This is a fabulous piece of work.

Congratulations Martin!

Thank you.

It's the culmination of roughly three years, and is derived from material by Greg, Jeff, Steve Perrin, Sandy, MOB, Ian, and Harald, all expanded. If the assumptions and speculations are in error, then that's my bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Thank you.

It's the culmination of roughly three years, and is derived from material by Greg, Jeff, Steve Perrin, Sandy, MOB, Ian, and Harald, all expanded. If the assumptions and speculations are in error, then that's my bad.

I was not in Dragonmeet (too far), and am not even sure to purchase your book (my budget is quite short since my wife lost her job), but I can ensure you that the work you showed us is among the finest fan work I have ever seen about any RPG. So, if there is any error in your assumptions, I don't care: Congratulations.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kloster said:

I was not in Dragonmeet (too far), and am not even sure to purchase your book (my budget is quite short since my wife lost her job), but I can ensure you that the work you showed us is among the finest fan work I have ever seen about any RPG. So, if there is any error in your assumptions, I don't care: Congratulations.

Thank you for your comments.

Sorry that you won't see the book (afraid I requested a fairly high price for the PDF because of its size).

Hope your wife finds a job soon that pays well and she enjoys.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kloster said:

Desole mon ami, C'est très triste. Bon chance avec ça,

• Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 11/30/2019 at 4:06 PM, jajagappa said:

@soltakss I believe posted a nice video thumbing through it on the RQ Facebook page.

I spammed several groups with it, but here is one.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:26 PM, M Helsdon said:

If the assumptions and speculations are in error, then that's my bad.

They are now canon.

22 hours ago, Kloster said:

I can ensure you that the work you showed us is among the finest fan work I have ever seen about any RPG. So, if there is any error in your assumptions, I don't care

Exactly what I thought.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here