Jump to content
M Helsdon

Swords of Central Genertela

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

The Mongols could in some cases do 100 miles per day, although 50 miles per day was more common. 3-4 horses for dedicated cavalry seeems to have been pretty common in history - medieval knights and Mongols both tended to those numbers.

It very much depends on the period and the efficiency of the organisation: having at least one remount was desirable, and for a cataphract, at least five plus pack animals was a good idea. For much of history, horses have been expensive, and suitable cavalry mounts even more so, making it generally an aristocratic game, unless the entity fielding the cavalry was well organised and wealthy. 

For Glorantha, the Mongols aren't a good model; even during the Celestial Empire, Sheng's forces were never that organised as his innovations were magical, not tactical.

11 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

For one thing, they’re going to quickly run out of arrows if they can’t get back behind the line. I recall that in the Parthians’ defeat of Crassus at Carrhae, huge stashes of arrows were used to resupply the horse archers. It takes a lot to wear down Roman legions.

If I recall correctly, the arrow resupply was carried by thousands of camels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 3:56 AM, M Helsdon said:

Anaxial's Roster is no longer part of canon.

When an 'out of canon' source is the best source you have, use it unless it is directly contradicted by canon. Where The Bestiary contradicts Anaxials Roster, the Bestiary is correct, but mostly the Bestiary just doesn't say anything about breeds from outside Dragon Pass. In the particular case of horses, AR drew on earlier documents and it is unlikely to contradict canon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More or less what I think. 
 

And like the man said,  YGMV. 

I’m tempted to have the gods as merely vastly powerful humans who were the first to manipulate the Runes, and that much of legend is actually myth, and that (whispers) the world is actually round. 
 

Bit god learner of me I know and exactly the sort of thing that gets the gods angry 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, davecake said:

When an 'out of canon' source is the best source you have, use it unless it is directly contradicted by canon. Where The Bestiary contradicts Anaxials Roster, the Bestiary is correct, but mostly the Bestiary just doesn't say anything about breeds from outside Dragon Pass. In the particular case of horses, AR drew on earlier documents and it is unlikely to contradict canon. 

The Bestiary covers a larger area than Dragon Pass.

I'm not going to get into an argument about canon, but Anaxial is not in the list of canonical documents, old or new, and some things in it are definitely not canonical. I've seen the older documents, including army lists which mention the different breeds of Seredae ridden by different regiments, and whilst I've made use of those, have been wary of using the Roster.

There's an old list of canonical documents here:

https://www.glorantha.com/docs/canon/

It is now a little out of date.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

The Bestiary covers a larger area than Dragon Pass.

I'm not going to get into an argument about canon, but Anaxial is not in the list of canonical documents, old or new, and some things in it are definitely not canonical. I've seen the older documents, including army lists which mention the different breeds of Seredae ridden by different regiments, and whilst I've made use of those, have been wary of using the Roster.

There's an old list of canonical documents here:

https://www.glorantha.com/docs/canon/

It is now a little out of date.

I just want the stats for the hoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 12:24 AM, Monty Lovering said:

More or less what I think. 
 

And like the man said,  YGMV. 

I’m tempted to have the gods as merely vastly powerful humans who were the first to manipulate the Runes, and that much of legend is actually myth, and that (whispers) the world is actually round. 
 

Bit god learner of me I know and exactly the sort of thing that gets the gods angry 😜

Good point. I like to scare my players by pointing out that there is absolutely nothing to "prove" that the "Gods War" was not the earthly atomic war, and that Genertela isn't post-holocaust North America. They just say that is's flat in the rules because they want you to see it from the character's perspective.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Printed books dispatched by printer; arriving tomorrow.

Two-wheeled trolley to carry copies to Dragonmmet delivered.

Now I just have to hope I can get into the Trade Hall before it opens...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Printed books dispatched by printer; arriving tomorrow.

Two-wheeled trolley to carry copies to Dragonmmet delivered.

Now I just have to hope I can get into the Trade Hall before it opens...

So how do the rest of us get copies of this priceless tome?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 2:42 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

Yay!

I am literally checking Drivethrurpg every hour. I can't remember the last time I was this excited waiting for a book. Of course, I look at my shelf of Osprey books, and understand something about what I like: Pictures!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm at Dragonmeet and Martin very kindly let me have a quick look at a hard copy. Wow! This is a fabulous piece of work.

Congratulations Martin!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Steve said:

I'm at Dragonmeet and Martin very kindly let me have a quick look at a hard copy. Wow! This is a fabulous piece of work.

Congratulations Martin!

Thank you.

It's the culmination of roughly three years, and is derived from material by Greg, Jeff, Steve Perrin, Sandy, MOB, Ian, and Harald, all expanded. If the assumptions and speculations are in error, then that's my bad.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Thank you.

It's the culmination of roughly three years, and is derived from material by Greg, Jeff, Steve Perrin, Sandy, MOB, Ian, and Harald, all expanded. If the assumptions and speculations are in error, then that's my bad.

I was not in Dragonmeet (too far), and am not even sure to purchase your book (my budget is quite short since my wife lost her job), but I can ensure you that the work you showed us is among the finest fan work I have ever seen about any RPG. So, if there is any error in your assumptions, I don't care: Congratulations.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kloster said:

I was not in Dragonmeet (too far), and am not even sure to purchase your book (my budget is quite short since my wife lost her job), but I can ensure you that the work you showed us is among the finest fan work I have ever seen about any RPG. So, if there is any error in your assumptions, I don't care: Congratulations.

Thank you for your comments.

Sorry that you won't see the book (afraid I requested a fairly high price for the PDF because of its size).

Hope your wife finds a job soon that pays well and she enjoys.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kloster said:

I was not in Dragonmeet (too far), and am not even sure to purchase your book (my budget is quite short since my wife lost her job), but I can ensure you that the work you showed us is among the finest fan work I have ever seen about any RPG. So, if there is any error in your assumptions, I don't care: Congratulations.

Desole mon ami, C'est très triste. Bon chance avec ça,

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 4:06 PM, jajagappa said:

@soltakss I believe posted a nice video thumbing through it on the RQ Facebook page.

I spammed several groups with it, but here is one.

 

On 11/30/2019 at 8:26 PM, M Helsdon said:

If the assumptions and speculations are in error, then that's my bad.

They are now canon.

22 hours ago, Kloster said:

I can ensure you that the work you showed us is among the finest fan work I have ever seen about any RPG. So, if there is any error in your assumptions, I don't care

Exactly what I thought.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I spammed several groups with it, but here is one.

Yes, I've seen two. Thank you.

59 minutes ago, soltakss said:

They are now canon.

Nothing that appears in the Jonstown Compendium is canonical. The book has a YGWV warning near the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...