Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

9 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

I love it. What I'm most looking forward to is the Kingdom of War.

Thank you.

The Kingdom of War has only a page and a bit (about twelve hundred words) so it may not warrant an illustration. Depends on how the spacing of sketches works out, as I prefer to have a sketch every three pages or so, which is why I am aiming for around forty total (presently working on number ten).

• Like 3

May need to redo the rider's face-mask. 

Horse may be too large (though the breed is supposed to be large).

Hmm. Don't know how I didn't notice this when preparing, but the rider's upper leg is too short. Will see if I can rework...

MSE cataphract forum.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Borygon said:

This looks like a rider of Rohan from the movies. Awesome.

The motif on the shield which merges horses' head with a Mobility Rune is intended to reflect the Enerali Horse People ancestry of the Orlanthi in northern Ralios.

The armor and helmet illustrate a section about the heavier armor that was worn in the (failed) assaults on Kartolin. The helmet design is influenced by Anglo-Saxon/Viking 'spectacles' helmets as I wanted to find an element to distinguish  between the other Orlanthi drawn for 'Armies and Enemies' and those of Ralios. This warrior is probably riding home from one of the assaults on his Galana pony. Instead of vambaces, he wears heavy bronze bracelets as forearm armor.

So whilst it wasn't intentional, this sketch shares elements with the design of the Rohirrim; I knew someone who worked in the British Museum who told me that some of the artists working on LOTR spent some time sitting in the Anglo-Saxon galleries drawing the arms, armor and other items there to utilize in the films.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2

The triskelion (more commonly with bird/griffin heads rather than horse ones. There are plenty of other animals too though.) was a motif among the various Scytho Siberians btw (I think most people might be familiar more with the celtic spirals, or the Italian legs)

Pazyryk (I think these are elk?)

o9YOXzqA7esVwR8ouTG0_7ARq5bx0q6S7mBn4XXMJPCima-qGlXHEP056QD46BwBaqzTsO98va3iCzcYLzKnz4SzWPPqbSj-C1kYup66JgK66Bvu8s3sVW8vpu12f-Plwnbzk_o

Dacians/Thracians (could be horses, could be beaked hybrids like in Pazyryk art)

0cddc0d5500375337b4dde02fb6ba1bd.jpg971c436ea8a647c2f2cd1c8980c60f1a.jpg

Sarmatian griffins

21f496c75e360cea1ba40c64aabc55c7.jpg

cc3daf496cb75c3391c9dca39b9b918c.jpg

And outside of the three-lobed Movement rune:

94520fb41e34a9b5a37ec6c6b432b7fe.jpgScythian Gold Cup decorated with 6 horses. 5th c., gold, amber, glass.  From Bratoliubivs'kyi Kurhan, near village of Ol'hyno, Hornostaivs'kyi Raion, Khersons'ka Oblast'. UKRAINE www.brama.com/news/press/001021scythian_cup.htmla0ac963586a9ae6e6e50be67e4d37e1f.jpg4d2a2647e596426de207250541758dd5.jpgbf6fe70462758b9f0542d67c863272cb.jpg

27fa4130ac71e55a0ff45a5b3885b381.jpg

Edited by JanPospisil
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, JanPospisil said:

The triskelion (more commonly with bird/griffin heads rather than horse ones. There are plenty of other animals too though.) was a motif among the various Scytho Siberians btw (I think most people might be familiar more with the celtic spirals, or the Italian legs)

Pazyryk (I think these are elk?)

I went to an exhibition of Scythian Gold in Ufa once and it was fantastic.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

The rider in the latest sketch will probably have to be redone...

At present instead of drawing finished sketches I am roughing out a couple, and adding bits and pieces to my YGWV West book.

Today a book I'd ordered from Delhi about the Cholas arrived, ordered before the lockdown (it seems to have spent six weeks in storage). Had hoped it would provide some inspiration, but sadly not, as it seems we know very very little about the Chola Empire, whether its military or its organisation (the author spends more time disputing the theories of other experts than anything, and there's a distinct sense of padding out the page count). In fact, the sources on Indian warfare consist of a few epics (very unreliable) and pedantic texts about how wars should be fought (but almost certainly were not) - and of the four books I have on Indian warfare, one is very obviously copied from one of the others! Even most fortifications were reworked to such a degree, it isn't possible to reconstruct many ancient sites.

And if you want details on more obscure periods such as the Greeks in Bactria and India, there's very very little (and the one book on the subject I have managed to find was put out by a very obscure publisher who obviously intended to rival Osprey, but disappeared after only a very few books, probably because they tended to cover obscure topics).

So today I decided to just make stuff up, about the East Wilds charioteers, and about the religious rites of the goddess Safa... What does an obscure lake goddess have to do with a military sourcebook? Naval warfare...

When I have four or five illustrations sketched out, I will start inking them.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 5

Today I decided that instead of drawing a 'finished' sketch I would create roughs for the next batch. Instead of being drawn slowly over several hours and then digital enhancements made, these are quick sketches with no enhancements. This indicated problems, and decided me that the Lalian shield-wife wasn't sufficiently interesting/dynamic.

At most these will become place holders in the draft document.

previews.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M Helsdon said:

Today I decided that instead of drawing a 'finished' sketch I would create roughs for the next batch. Instead of being drawn slowly over several hours and then digital enhancements made, these are quick sketches with no enhancements. This indicated problems, and decided me that the Lalian shield-wife wasn't sufficiently interesting/dynamic.

At most these will become place holders in the draft document.

previews.png

Who's that middle guy with the dragon stuff? An EWF soldier? Some dragon people from the west I don't know about?

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

Who's that middle guy with the dragon stuff? An EWF soldier? Some dragon people from the west I don't know about?

No dragon, but a snake. He's an Orlanthi of the East Wilds (lots of snake history in the East Wilds long predating the EWF). Klanths aren't only used by dragonewts...

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 3