Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

So am I right in assuming that this will be covering not just the modern warfare of the west but its history as well? There's a lot of sketches dated pretty early on at least.

Yes. It proved difficult to describe warfare in the West without going into its history. Most of the 'historical' sketches illustrate not only chapters but an assessment of the evolution of the cataphract.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Borygon said:

I love the moustache and sword, but  the combination of loincloth and undershirt (which looks pretty good on its own) looks really weird.

It's based on the art direction Jeff gave an artist for a piece of artwork for the Guide which resulted in this outline. I have a copy of the reference piece.

However, I made the sword smaller, instead of the ancient Indian-style two handed sword in the reference.

Foche-Balifies-Frieze (1).jpg

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Sigh. Yes, it is wrong.

Ah, sorry if I came off as rude. I spelled and said Nysalor as Nyaslor for years so I was legitimately worried I was wrong about Horali too.

Edited by Richard S.

45 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

Ah, sorry if I came off as rude. I spelled and said Nysalor as Nyaslor for years so I was legitimately worried I was wrong about Horali too.

Not at all. For some reason I have written holari instead of horali almost all the way through...

1 hour ago, Borygon said:

How is that thigh section connected to that skirt?

With straps to the belt. Sadly not very apparent at this resolution. Will see if I can enhance.

No. That area is in shadow, so it isn't feasible to adjust it.

Talari knight forum.png

Edited by M Helsdon

Central Asian lamellar usually doesn't have a gap between the cuirass and the "thigh plates" (it's often more of a skirt), so I might be responsible for that if this was used as reference. 

(https://www.deviantart.com/merlkir/art/GtG-06-Castes-of-the-Malkioni-446448169)

At least you put more armour underneath, so the gap is less dangerous. :)

We already talked about these knights and the real world inspiration here: 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JanPospisil said:

Central Asian lamellar usually doesn't have a gap between the cuirass and the "thigh plates" (it's often more of a skirt), so I might be responsible for that if this was used as reference. 

(https://www.deviantart.com/merlkir/art/GtG-06-Castes-of-the-Malkioni-446448169)

Yes, in part. I always study canonical art and attempt to include aspects of it. In this case, the armor I drew is only partly Central Asian in character, as it mixes a bronze cuirass, scale skirt, and lamellar manica and leg armor (I used Jeff's Seshnelan art direction, which the artist above deviated from to use entirely Central Asian style armor - I have copy of a book where the cavalryman appears, in almost exactly the same pose he used, the only obvious difference being the crest he gave the horse...)

One thing I wanted to make obvious in this case, is that although the rider is a Noble, and called a knight, he isn't a European medieval knight.

11 hours ago, JanPospisil said:

At least you put more armour underneath, so the gap is less dangerous. :)

In this case, the thigh-guard armor is in addition to the scale skirt and the tubed leg armor, so there isn't a gap, even if the thigh-guards weren't there - they provide additional protection where the rider would be vulnerable from attacks from a foe on foot.

Additional: Not only human foes, but lions. Seshnelan nobles hunt lions.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2

Just roughing out the next two. Lion and Snake War Societies. The Lion should be on a horse, but these mounted sketches take up a lot of space (an infantry figure takes a day or two to finish; a cavalry figure two to four days... I am using pen and ink, and then making digital changes, mainly for skin tones).

Am deliberating whether to give the Snake soldier crocodile armor, as I believe they are found in the Lower Tanier River.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Am deliberating whether to give the Snake soldier crocodile armor, as I believe they are found in the Lower Tanier River.

They're mentioned in the RuneQuest Bestiary as inhabiting the coasts and rivers of southern Genertela, which would fit -- even if I picture the Tanier to have mugger crocodiles rather than the saltwater ones described in the bestiary.

And crocodile hide armour would look great, so I'm all for it.

48 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Just roughing out the next two. Lion and Snake War Societies. The Lion should be on a horse, but these mounted sketches take up a lot of space (an infantry figure takes a day or two to finish; a cavalry figure two to four days... I am using pen and ink, and then making digital changes, mainly for skin tones).

Yes!