URUK, a new standalone rolegame

URUK (by Olivier Dubreuil) is available on my website:

http://www.basicrps.com/uruk/URUK_BRP.pdf

It is a fully-fledged, 100-page standalone rolegame set in ancient Mesopotamia.

Unfortunately, it was written before the publication of the new Basic Roleplaying (and even before its playtest began); its core mechanics are from the French BaSIC booklet rather than from the new Basic Roleplaying by the Chaosium.

You might have mentioned it's in French.

Sadly, my French stalled at the basic high-school intro course level.

Gianni's work prosthelytising BRP always makes me feel slightly inadequate. Posts in fluent English and casually mentions some great resources in French or Italian which I am then entirely unable to access due to linguistic laziness on my part.

Deep down part of me is hoping that someone bilingual will translate these for me (as happened so brilliantly with the French to English Conan BASIC game).

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

I am actually testing out some translation software at the moment.

I have studied French since, oh, maybe 3rd or 4th grade, on and

off, up through my first 2 years at college. Unfortunately, I was never

able to "think" in French, but I have been told my accent is very good.

There are some great Elric and Hawkmoon resources in Fench, especially

some supposedly very interesting Dharzi material.

If I find a solid piece of software, I'll pass the info on.

-V

Gianni's work prosthelytising BRP always makes me feel slightly inadequate. Posts in fluent English and casually mentions some great resources in French or Italian which I am then entirely unable to access due to linguistic laziness on my part.

Deep down part of me is hoping that someone bilingual will translate these for me (as happened so brilliantly with the French to English Conan BASIC game).

Al

There's a Conan Basic game? Can it be downloaded for free?

Yes there is and yes it is. And its pretty damn good to boot.

I got the link from one of the BRP mailing lists (I forget which)

It is on my HDD at home. So if no one posts the link before I get back to night I shall upload it to the files section here. (With the usual rider that if author or translator objects I shall have to pull it straight down again)

Al

Yes there is and yes it is. And its pretty damn good to boot.

I got the link from one of the BRP mailing lists (I forget which)

It is on my HDD at home. So if no one posts the link before I get back to night I shall upload it to the files section here. (With the usual rider that if author or translator objects I shall have to pull it straight down again)

Al

You may find it here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060502161822/http://www.concentric.net/~slposey/Games/BaSIC_Conan_Eng.doc

Warning, the link is a direct download of the Word doc. I have no problems

with it because I have downloaded it before, but do it somewhere safe.

-V

Sorry for not having mentioned that it was in French. But then isn't the curse of Babel fitting for a Mesopotamian game? :)

Do you have an english version of BaSIC?

Anyone who knows who the author or translator is? OR are they one and the same?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Anyone who knows who the author or translator is? OR are they one and the same?

SGL.

The translator is Stephen L. Posey. He used to host the doc on his website,

but the site is no longer up. The original was by someone nicknamed

"Jee Pee".

-V

• 2 weeks later...

There are some great Elric and Hawkmoon resources in Fench, especially

some supposedly very interesting Dharzi material.

I never heard of any french background material for Elric or StormBringer, but french Hawkmoon setting and 1st edition rules for scientific creations were truly awesome.

• 2 years later...

I have uploaded version 3.3 of URUK: http://www.basicrps.com/uruk/Uruk_V3.3.pdf. 101 pages of Mesopotamian BRP goodness.

Sorry, it's still only in French.

Edited by GianniVacca

• 10 months later...

All-- Version 4.0 of URUK, the Mesopotamian setting for the Basic Role-Playing System has just been uploaded.

Available here: http://www.basicrps.com/uruk/Uruk_V4.0.pdf and yes it's still only available in French.

I've used Babelfish to translate a French RPG into English via paragraph cut and paste. The results were ... interesting. French syntax was maintained (since the program apparently does a word-for-word translation), so the phrasing could be odd: "Launch of the die" instead of "roll the dice." Characteristics ultimately translated as "Wits" and "Soul" initially were both listed as "Heart." I eventually got a rough but playable English copy.

It helped that the game I was translating was pretty simple mechanically and brief overall. If Uruk is 100 pages, translating 2-3 paragraphs at a time could become tedious.

If you open a file in Google Chrome with Google Translate installed it will offer to translate the entire document.

Not sure how good it is, though, but it would give you a good idea. I normally get confused because I can skip-read French well enough to understand the text, but online translation programs make be double-take some of the phrases and meanings.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Erm yes should've mentioned that when I first dropped its name into conversation. The final bit of the translation hasn't been translated. I suppose that I just found the bits which had been translated so useful that I forgot that.

Hello ! I'm very new in the community. I did this modest mesopotamian contribution to the BRP: if google translator gives weird and hardly understandable sentences, just ask me, I'll try to help with my poor English.

Ooo... It's the author of URUK himself on this very forum!! Praise him :)

• Like 1