Elfquest is now going to film

Anybody else remember the game based on the comic books by Wendy and Richard Pini?

Elves gather at Warners

Rawson Thurber to write, direct, produce comic adaptation

By Borys Kit, The Hollywood Reporter

July 9, 2008, 01:00 AM ET

32311-elfquest_341x182.jpg "Elfquest"

"Elfquest," the cult comic by Wendy and Richard Pini, is heading to the big screen courtesy of Warners Bros. and Rawson Thurber.

Thurber will write, direct and produce the feature, whose format is undetermined.

The original comic, which the Pinis initially self-published starting in 1978, followed a tribe of elves known as the Wolfriders in their attempts to survive and link with other dispersed elves on an Earth-like planet with two moons while on the lookout for tribes of humans and trolls, both of which acted as allies and enemies.

The series -- which at certain points in its history was published by both Marvel and DC Comics -- attracted a more mature audience as it went along, with scenes of battles and sexuality that were intense for that time.

Hollywood has long tried to adapt the series, and several attempts at an animated series or feature have been made over the years.

Courtenay Valenti is overseeing for Warners.

CAA-repped Thurber, a commercials director, broke through into features with the 2004 Ben Stiller hit "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story." He also wrote and directed "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh," an adaptation of the Michael Chabon novel.

The Pinis are repped by RWSH and Hansen Literary.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i2a7c68761043a405623185ae5f0c885e

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

That sounds really great! I'm glad because I used the comics as partial inspiration for my campaign world. I hope they do a good job and I would prefer to see it as a live action over an animated feature, but either one would be great.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

• 4 weeks later...

Does Chaosium still have the ElfQuest rpg license? If so it's probably time to do a new edition of the game in accord to the new BRP rules.

My Livejournal

Currently playing: RuneQuest 3e Questworld, HeroQuest Glorantha, Eclipse Phase, Megatraveller: Pirates of Drinax, Exalted: Journey to the Far West, Stormbringer,

Free, quarterly, RPG magazine: RPG Review

• 1 year later...