Combat Cards and Advanced Combat

RosenMcStern

The Revolution D100 combat cards are an optional element of the game designed to help you run Advanced Combat when your players are unfamiliar with Combat Effects or have problems selecting an appropriate choice after scoring a victory in a combat exchange. By selecting a reduced set of options and keeping them constantly in front of the player during a battle, the Narrator helps new players understand the game mechanics and avoid indecision.

16113993_405866643079309_116156830931197

Let me take advantage of the debut of the combat cards to stimulate a new discussion about Advanced Combat. The main focus so far has been on Conflicts and non-violent parts of the adventure, which is the most innovative part of the game, but combat has elements that may require some explanations, too. If specific parts are not clear, please ask any questions you may have.

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Will the cards be available through RPG meeting? I'm still thinking about ordering a copy of the core rules from there, since this seems to be the only place where print copies are available for now (I wanted to wait until the RuneQuest Gesellschaft in Germany gets a few copies, but now I'm hearing they'll only get the second printing which is due some time in the spring or early summer, which would be a long wait). I could probably save on shipping if I could order both together (ordering cards from DTRPG to Germany is pretty much impossible anyway due to shipping).

The card bundle option was suppposed to be available on RPG Meeting as soon as I have a batch of cards available this side of the Big Pond. It takes one month or more for DTRPG to deliver them to us (and other card makers are less convenient), so if we make the book+cards available now delivery of the book might be severely delayed.

That said... I have just noticed that the economy option I used to order the sample for 2 euro shipping price is no longer there! Drivethru is no longer a good option for non-US customers. Thank you for pointing this out, Jakob.

Keep an eye on RPG Meeting for the cards, I will probably add the bundle within the week if not within the day - with a big caveat: "1 month delay if you order also the cards". But believe me, they are worth waiting, they are even more beautiful than Mirko and I expected.

PS anyone who ordered after Dec 31 or has not yet received a "product shipped" confirmation email may contact RPG Meeting customer service for an order upgrade - with the above caveat: shipment in February if you order the cards.

• 1 month later...
On 17.1.2017 at 0:37 PM, RosenMcStern said:

Keep an eye on RPG Meeting for the cards, I will probably add the bundle within the week if not within the day - with a big caveat: "1 month delay if you order also the cards". But believe me, they are worth waiting, they are even more beautiful than Mirko and I expected.

By the way, did this happen? I still can't find the cards on rpg meeting.

Card bundle added: http://www.rpgmeeting.org/en/component/hikashop/prodotto/revolution-d100

US Customers: the cards are now ON SALE on DriveThruRPG. Take advantage!

EU/World customers, PAY ATTENTION: this is the last week we can offer shipment at 8 EUR. Shipping prices will soon increase due to an increased postal rate.

• 3 weeks later...

Received my Revolution d100 copy and combat cards in the mail yesterday. It all looks great. It's great to see how compact and packed with content the book is. Just 256 pages and you even have the starting scenario. Very nice to see this in an age of bloated* RPG books. The cards are great. 

*Whoever is thinking of the pretty but ponderous 7th edition of a famous horror rpg featuring several pages of car chase rules and a crippled chargen is too naughty and does not have my approval.