Cult credit RQ2

Noita

That's what we play.

You pay your tithe to the cult and the cult can support you. If you pay your tithe to Orlanth, then join Storm Bull then whatever tithe you pay to Storm Bull acts as Storm Bull cult credit.

It gets more complicated when belonging to multiple cults, do you pay 10% to each cult as an initiate? What about being a Rune Level of several cults, you cannot pay 90% to more than one cult. We play that you tithe 10% of your income to cults as an initiate, 50% as an acolyte and 90% as Rune Levels, with that tithe then allocated to each cult proportionally. So, someone who is an initiate of Orlanth and Storm Bull pays effectively 5% to each. This means that initiates of multiple cults pay less to each cults than initiates of single cults, so perhaps they are less valued. Alternatively, someone initiated into more than one cult is more powerful magically and so might bring more income in as a result.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

39 minutes ago, soltakss said:

What about being a Rune Level of several cults, you cannot pay 90% to more than one cult. 

0.o you can be Rune Level to more than one cult?

Aside from unique circumstances like Illumination, it's never even occurred to me that someone could be a Wind Lord of Orlanth AND a Storm Khan.  Seems like that level of involvement would be, necessarily, exclusive.

I could see someone being a Rune Lord of X, and initiate of other, associated cults, in which case I guess I'd rationalize the 10% tithe as 1/10 of the Rune Lord's remaining income, after they take care of #1.

On 1/24/2017 at 4:22 AM, Iskallor said:

Would you get a new set of cult credit each time you joined a cult? 

<envisions someone -- possibly a Eurmalian -- creating some kind of Ponzi scheme this way ... >

C'es ne pas un .sig

My two Bolgs.

Belonging to Cults should be "role played" not "Roll played".

For a High Holy days Of a community Cult  ,say Ernalda I can see everyone joining for the day of celebration but receiving no benefits or restrictions .You join for the day to strengthen the community .  And of course everyone becomes a lay member of Issaries  on a big Market day for the same reason. And the Gods are not Dumb. They recognize the need for people to join  other Cults on certain days to strengthen the community and will not punish their worshippers or make unreasonable demands on people joining for a day to celebrate a Festival. Unless of course they are enemies or such.

Joining two cults as initiate or higher should also be role played. . Why would a Storm Khan allow a Issaries Priest become an Initiate.? Perhaps the Storm Khan watched the Merchant Priest do a  major smack down on a Chaos Abomination and was impressed. And the Priest trade route goes through Chaos infected areas so both sides have something to gain. There should be a reason why some one is allowed to be in two cults.

Edited by TRose

6 hours ago, fmitchell said:

Unless your Glorantha includes a Time Turner.

I think someone engineering one of those would be a TERRIFIC Rune-Level adventure hook for players...most of the gods, including Arachne Solara herself, if need be, would cheerfully encourage their earthly minions to urgently hunt down and destroy something so obviously dangerous to the Compromise.

While Chaos gods - hell, even Ralzakark for kicks and giggles - would actively work to protect the (likely naive) inventor.

Or, if one's a particularly sadistic DM, one could have the players approached by the subject that 'invents' it (or better, even hired by a Chaotic agent) to protect them from this sudden rash of assassins, destroying his/her work, even kidnapping his/her family to give them the invention, etc....and let the players rescue him/her a few times, only for it to eventually dawn on them that they're ADVANCING CHAOS & fighting their own 'people' so to speak.

Then let them twist hard on the moral dilemma of what they do with the pathetic person that's totally dependent on them for their safety now, who *refuses* to give up their device (or if they steal it, promises to build another). Muhahahah

7 hours ago, pachristian said:

There is also the little 90% time commitment to your cult. 

No, you cannot be rune level in more than one cult. 

Well what if you can make Cult time commitment overlap.

For example you have a Issaries Priest/Argan Argar Initiate who spends his time trading between Trolls And Human. The time spent trading could go to the time needed for both Cults. Or you could have an Orlanth Rune  Lord/Storm Bull Initiate  warrior who spends his time bashing in Broo skulls. Both Orlanth and Storm Bull would consider that time well spent.

1 hour ago, TRose said:

Well what if you can make Cult time commitment overlap.

For example you have a Issaries Priest/Argan Argar Initiate who spends his time trading between Trolls And Human. The time spent trading could go to the time needed for both Cults. Or you could have an Orlanth Rune  Lord/Storm Bull Initiate  warrior who spends his time bashing in Broo skulls. Both Orlanth and Storm Bull would consider that time well spent.

Personally, I'd say no.  Insofar as cults are related or cooperative, they ALREADY explicitly offer certain spells etc to associated cults.

It's simple: If you want runelevel power from a God, they get your undivided commitment.  For both in-game context reasons and preventing-powergaming meta reasons.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, styopa said:

Personally, I'd say no.  Insofar as cults are related or cooperative, they ALREADY explicitly offer certain spells etc to associated cults.

It's simple: If you want runelevel power from a God, they get your undivided commitment.  For both in-game context reasons and preventing-powergaming meta reasons.  

I think you hit the nail(s?) on the(ir?) head(s?) here...

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig