Designing the New RuneQuest blog series links

Roko Joko

Chaosium's Designing the New RuneQuest blog articles, in one convenient list.

1. 2016-02-08 . Part 1 . goals . character sheet
  2. 2016-02-10 . Part 2 . combat . 90/10 rule . RQ3 . source material
  3. 2016-02-13 . Part 3 . RQ6
  4. 2016-02-28 . Part 4 . rune magic
  5. 2016-04-27 . Part 5 . deadly combat
  6. 2016-04-30 . Part 6 . changes from RQ2
  7. 2016-05-24 . Part 7 . character start with background and personality
  8. 2016-06-12 . Part 8 . family history
  9. 2016-06-17 . Part 9 . just plain RuneQuest . setting scope
  10. 2016-06-25 . Part 10 . core rule book . Glorantha Bestiary . Gamemaster Book
  11. 2016-08-23 . Part 11 . sorcery
  12. 2017-01-09 . Part 12 . progress report . Quick Start . bestiary concept art . Dragon Pass Campaign Book
  13. 2017-04-05 . Part 13 . progress report . schedule . book list update
  14. 2017-04-06 .  news   . RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha (RQG)
  15. 2017-04-07 . Part 14 . runes
  16. 2017-04-11 . Part 15 . design team . design vision
  17. 2017-04-17 . Part 16 . reusable rune magic
  18. 2017-06-24 . Part 17 . changes from Free RPG Day playtest
  19. 2017-08-13 . Part 18 . preview edition
  20. 2017-08-13 . Part 19 . art sample
  21. 2017-11-25 . Part 20 . progress report
  22. 2018-02-09 . Part 21 . progress report . character sheet
  23. 2018-03-21 . Part 22 . logo
  24. 2018-03-22 . Part 23 . final progress report

Edited by Roko Joko
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

What really happened?  The only way to discover that is to experience it yourself.

The updates are primarily when we have nice big developments or summaries to announce. Since most of what we are now doing on the core books and bestiary is decidedly unglamorous, and what we are doing on the Gamemaster's Book and Dragon Pass Campaign Book is filled with big spoilers, updates have slowed down. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

The updates are primarily when we have nice big developments or summaries to announce. Since most of what we are now doing on the core books and bestiary is decidedly unglamorous, and what we are doing on the Gamemaster's Book and Dragon Pass Campaign Book is filled with big spoilers, updates have slowed down. 

Jeff, one quick question

(sorry if already explained elsewhere, and not sure what thread I should ask this in):

Circumstantial Modifiers - are these using numerical bonuses and penalties like earlier editions of RQ/BRP, or will the new RQ use Bonus/Penalty Dice like CoC 7E?

( Personally I initially did not like the Bonus/Penalty Dice concept, but I must confess I now find it simple and very fun in gameplay)

Not a deal breaker either way, but I was just wondering which choice you are going with...

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

After lots of feedback, we've eliminated bonus/penalty dice wherever possible in favor of flat bonuses and penalties. Given that we have a lot of circumstantial modifiers (my experience is that I find it seems to show up the most with the Worship skill - lemme see, is this a holy day, seasonal holy day, or high holy day? Is this a shrine, minor temple, etc. Do I want to sacrifice a chicken or bison?), we want to make it as easy as possible to use. 

• Like 3

Fair enough, I can see why flat numerical modifiers have been chosen.

The Bonus/Penalty Dice certainly works quite well in my Pulp Cthulhu campaign, but I can see how it may not be as granular as one would like in a fantasy setting.

Thanks for the prompt reply Jeff!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

15 hours ago, Jeff said:

Sorry, I thought the big "smiley face" KIDDING was implied clearly enough.  Obviously, you update when there's something to talk about, and when you have time.

3 hours ago, styopa said:

Sorry, I thought the big "smiley face" KIDDING was implied clearly enough.

Styopa?  Uhhh... hate to break it to ya, dude.

That's a juvenile elephant-seal, not a smiley-face.

:D

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Runes On The Character Sheet:

I like your Pentagram and Rune Tree ideas on the sample character sheet.  I do have a couple of suggestions that you might consider examining.  On the Pentagram I would suggest that the Elements should be diametrically opposed like the Powers Runes.  For example, I would put the Elements in the following order (from the Top going Counter-Clockwise like your design did)  Air, Fire, Earth, Darkness, and Water.  Moon goes in the center.  This keeps Air & Earth as far apart as possible.  It does the same for Fire & Water.  Earth shelters Darkness from (light bearing) Fire and Darkness separates Earth and Water (both joining & separating them like the dark ocean Glorantha floats on).  The top of the Pentagram would "rotate" based on your own Rune Affiliations or based on the Sorcery/Summoning you are attempting.

The Moon in the center becomes significant because the Goddess just emerged from Glorantha and has no established place on the diagram (hence, her placement).  Her "best fit" would be between Fire and Air.  This also puts her in opposition to Darkness.  However, in order to rise to this position, she must take power from Fire and Air.  This is a cause of conflict (the Hero War's?).  

The Rune Tree is very cool but I have a suggestion about Runes and Geneology/Race.  I would suggest that the Man Rune really be "Intelligent Being" (the default "slang" meaning could still be Man).  Its position on top of the tree indicates an "evolution" to "Intelligent being." The bottom of the Rune Tree should be a couple of vertically stacked boxes.  The TOP box indicates the character's Geneology based on the Rune placed there.  A Beast Rune at the bottom of the Tree and Man at the top would translate to "Intelligent being from beast."  Putting a Plant Rune in the bottom changes the meaning to "Intelligent being from plant" (an Elf or Runner).  Finally, placing the Dragon Rune (Dragonnewt) and Man together would beget Dragonnewts, Newts, or Slargers.  The BOTTOM Geneology box would be for "evolutions" during game play.   A Shaman might place the Spirit Rune there.  The Eastern Empire's Dragon Warriors would put the Dragon (Dragonnewt) Rune there as they evolved into Dragons.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I would also suggest the REMOVAL of the Chaos Rune from the Form Runes.  This is because ANY RUNE (not just forms) can be afflicted with the scourge of Chaos.  I would suggest that Chaos should be a Condition Rune with the Mastery, Magic, and Infinity Runes simply because it can combine with most other Runes (just like the other Condition Runes do).  This also explains why Chaos is so hard to destroy, it can exist in conjunction with any other Rune.  Finally, I would espouse the Rune Tree have empty boxes running vertically (up) BETWEEN the horizontal lines that connect the opposing Power Runes.  These boxes would be used to place either Elemental or Mastery Runes that the character masters during the game (like when attaining Rune Lord or Rune Priest status).  For example, a Rune Lord becomes a Hero and gains access to the Infinity Rune.  That Rune would be placed in one of the vertical boxes (probably right under the Man Rune).    

These ideas would help the character's Rune Tree "evolve" during game play and allow the player to see his character's affiliations and origins "at a glance."    

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, olskool said:

Runes On The Character Sheet:

I like your Pentagram and Rune Tree ideas on the sample character sheet.  I do have a couple of suggestions that you might consider examining.  On the Pentagram I would suggest that the Elements should be diametrically opposed like the Powers Runes.  For example, I would put the Elements in the following order (from the Top going Counter-Clockwise like your design did)  Air, Fire, Earth, Darkness, and Water.  Moon goes in the center.  This keeps Air & Earth as far apart as possible.  It does the same for Fire & Water.  Earth shelters Darkness from (light bearing) Fire and Darkness separates Earth and Water (both joining & separating them like the dark ocean Glorantha floats on).  The top of the Pentagram would "rotate" based on your own Rune Affiliations or based on the Sorcery/Summoning you are attempting.

The Moon in the center becomes significant because the Goddess just emerged from Glorantha and has no established place on the diagram (hence, her placement).  Her "best fit" would be between Fire and Air.  This also puts her in opposition to Darkness.  However, in order to rise to this position, she must take power from Fire and Air.  This is a cause of conflict (the Hero War's?).  

The Rune Tree is very cool but I have a suggestion about Runes and Geneology/Race.  I would suggest that the Man Rune really be "Intelligent Being" (the default "slang" meaning could still be Man).  Its position on top of the tree indicates an "evolution" to "Intelligent being." The bottom of the Rune Tree should be a couple of vertically stacked boxes.  The TOP box indicates the character's Geneology based on the Rune placed there.  A Beast Rune at the bottom of the Tree and Man at the top would translate to "Intelligent being from beast."  Putting a Plant Rune in the bottom changes the meaning to "Intelligent being from plant" (an Elf or Runner).  Finally, placing the Dragon Rune (Dragonnewt) and Man together would beget Dragonnewts, Newts, or Slargers.  The BOTTOM Geneology box would be for "evolutions" during game play.   A Shaman might place the Spirit Rune there.  The Eastern Empire's Dragon Warriors would put the Dragon (Dragonnewt) Rune there as they evolved into Dragons.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I would also suggest the REMOVAL of the Chaos Rune from the Form Runes.  This is because ANY RUNE (not just forms) can be afflicted with the scourge of Chaos.  I would suggest that Chaos should be a Condition Rune with the Mastery, Magic, and Infinity Runes simply because it can combine with most other Runes (just like the other Condition Runes do).  This also explains why Chaos is so hard to destroy, it can exist in conjunction with any other Rune.  Finally, I would espouse the Rune Tree have empty boxes running vertically (up) BETWEEN the horizontal lines that connect the opposing Power Runes.  These boxes would be used to place either Elemental or Mastery Runes that the character masters during the game (like when attaining Rune Lord or Rune Priest status).  For example, a Rune Lord becomes a Hero and gains access to the Infinity Rune.  That Rune would be placed in one of the vertical boxes (probably right under the Man Rune).    

These ideas would help the character's Rune Tree "evolve" during game play and allow the player to see his character's affiliations and origins "at a glance."    

Your idea sounds interesting, mostly for the power tree, but the reasoning behind the elemental diagram is that it follows the elemental progression.

On 3/28/2017 at 9:08 PM, Richard S. said:

Your idea sounds interesting, mostly for the power tree, but the reasoning behind the elemental diagram is that it follows the elemental progression.

I gathered as much.  I would still "oppose" them for gameplay purposes. This is because I would want my spell casters to choose between one element or another as a "rune affinity" OR "preferred" Elemental Rune.  So by "opposing" Earth/AIR, Fire/Water, and Lunar/Darkness, the player will be forced to choose one set of elemental spells to be "good" at while taking a hit when casting spells from the "opposing" Elemental Rune (just like the opposing power Runes in the Rune Tree).   I had an idea as I read the notes above about how to make POW/Magic Points (and other facets of magic) more manageable.  First, I need to provide a little "backround" on how I would make my magic system work.

Spirit Magic:  I love the idea of the Shaman but he was always weak in the older RQ2/RQ3 hybrid system I used in the 90's.  I also didn't like everyone and his brother having huge quantities of "battle magic/spirit magic," so I put a couple of conditions on acquiring Spirit Magic. First, I imposed a POW cost of 1 point to learn a spell.  Secondly,  I did the exact same thing that Moon Design did in RQ6, I made all the Spirit Magic spells 1 point only for NON-SHAMAN casters (and modified their effects accordingly).  I then allowed a Shaman (or certain Rune Cults) to boost Spirit Magic like Sorcery.  For the non-shaman to get a spell, you would go to the local temple or shaman, pay your money, and roll under POW X 5.  If successful, you would lose 1 point of POW (but gained a POW gain roll for the experience) and could cast the spell at INT + POW.  This will now become POW OR Rune Affinity Rating (for the Rune related to that spell), whichever is LOWER.  

Spirit Magic, Shaman: The difference between the Shaman and everyday Spirit Magic users is that the Shaman has endured a ritual to become a Shaman.  I used to require that the Shaman "attune" a Spirit Rune (ala MRQ1).  Now, the Shaman will complete the ritual and put the Spirit Rune in his Rune Tree.  It is this Rune Affiliation that will allow the Shaman to modify Spirit Magic just like Sorcery.  The magic points that a Shaman can generate will be 1/10th their Spirit Rune Affiliation rating times 1/10th their Rune Affiliation rating for the SPELL being cast.  For example, a Shaman with a Spirit Rune Affiliation of 58% and a Fire Rune Affiliation of 65% casts a Fireblade spell (normally doing 1D6 damage) with a skill of 42%.  His maximum spell Magnitude is the difference between his casting skill and his actual dice roll divided by 10 (rounding up).  He must spend 1 point of his POW (magic points) per Magnitude but he gains multiple magic points to modify that spell for each point of POW he expends to manipulate it.    For each point of POW he spends on modifying the spell, he will be able to generate 42 magic points for modifying range, duration, and area of effect (I don't allow multi-spell with Spirit Magic).  His manipulation of the spell is limited by either his Manipulation Skill  ROLL/10 (the dice roll subtracted from his actual Manipulation skill) OR his Rune Affiliation/10 rounding up (7 for the Shaman above), whichever is LOWER.  He then multiplies the Intensity of each chosen manipulation (range, duration, etc) by the Magnitude of the spell to determine how many of these "bonus" magic points that specific Manipulation takes up.  Thus a Magnitude 3 Fireblade spell (doing 3D6 damage) with an Intensity 10 duration would require 30 magic points of the 42 points each point of POW would generate.  This makes stronger magic affordable using the Rune Tree concept.

Sorcery: This would operate the same as the Shaman's Spirit Magic above with the exception that the Magic Rune would be used for Sorcery instead of the Spirit Rune.  Sorcery also includes TWO subskills in my system.  The first is the Spell Manipulation Skill and the second is the Combine Spells Skill (for combining multiple spell effects).  The Combine manipulation would become more complicated once you begin to consider the "what ifs." Like, what happens if a Sorcerer tries to combine a Water Rune spell and a Fire Rune spell together?

All that aside, I'm very excited by the possibilities presented by the Rune Tree Concept Chaosium has presented in these notes. 

A lot of you guys seem to have issues with "crunch."  I'm looking for a gritty, more "real world" gaming experience than I recently experienced as a player in an RQ6 game.  Way too cinematic for my tastes and not even remotely realistic with regards to combat. I have been GMing a Twilight2000/Twilight 2013 game that uses Margins of Error and Margins of Success on the skill rolls with 4 players for a year now and "crunch" is easy to deal with as long as you have players willing to help (like by doing calculations on their phones as you resolve the action with the player involved). 

I need to do something to help out my Sorcerers.  The currently proposed "rebuild" is still very "POW heavy" for Sorcery.   I am incredibly "stingy" with both magic (as you can see from the fact that I make people sacrifice POW for Spirit Magic and don't let them have more than 1 Intensity Level without attuning a Magic Rune) and magic items.  Controlling magic keeps the characters from completely dominating the environment at higher levels.  I don't, however, want to handicap a Sorcerer at higher levels by limiting his casting power due to limited POW availability.  I do let Sorcerers attune Spirit Runes (and I was doing this LONG BEFORE MRQ1 put it in print) which increases their MAX POW from 25 (my species maximum for humans) to 50.  Spirit Runes are scarce though, and Shamans are often actively hunting them (because they are the key to a Shaman's powers).  

I may keep my old system where a Shaman (or anyone else) had to find a Magic Rune to cast Spirit/Battle Magic at higher than 1 point.  However, these Runes are actively hunted by prospective Sorcerers (who need a Magic Rune just to cast Sorcery in the first place).

Regardless of what I decide to do, I will be giving the Rune Tree some serious thought.  

1 hour ago, olskool said:

A lot of you guys ... 

Regardless of what I decide to do, I will be giving the Rune Tree some serious thought. 

I'm going to fork a new thread on this ...  Seems to merit a topic, and I'm hoping to keep Roko Joko's OP topical in-thread!  :)

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• Roko Joko changed the title to Designing the New RuneQuest blog series links

Just want to say that https://www.chaosium.com/blogdesigning-the-new-runequest-part-23/ has been really the best post of all.

Great, beautiful cover art (yes, we've seen in other threads here but there's where the WORLD will see it) as well as a solid (as much as dared) outlook on what's coming in what order.

Seriously good post.

Now....take my money!

• Like 1