Lovecraft inspired SF

Dredj

Wow... I've always wondered about Lovecraft's here and there references to the future in his stories... and way back when I wrote up my own ideas of what the Tsan-Chan and Dark Conquerors were about...

It'll be really interesting to read someone else's take on them though.

check out this new pdf:

Chaosium Inc.

I noticed that last night - interesting, especially as there is already Cthulhu Rising. I'd very much like to see a review as well. The SF segment of Ripple from Carcosa is rather cool, and Cthulhu Rising very good, but as a Call of Cthulhu fan something that builds rigourously and carefully on the explicitly SF / future elements of the mythos could be very cool.

Mind, I also want to see something explicitly SF and NON-mythos for BRP - and I'm still waiting to here exactly what Chaosium are going to do with Outpost 19, the SF scenario I sent them a while back, once the editing is complete.

Cheers,

Nick

Mind, I also want to see something explicitly SF and NON-mythos for BRP - and I'm still waiting to here exactly what Chaosium are going to do with Outpost 19, the SF scenario I sent them a while back, once the editing is complete.

Cheers,

Nick

Can you tell us more about Outpost 19?

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Can you tell us more about Outpost 19?

The characters are a team of trouble shooters sent to deal with a medical emergency at a multi-corps research site on a recently opened colony world in a setting that's basically a "re-imagining" of the Future*World setting with touchs of Dune and Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space future history books - humanity lost earth to an out break of nanotechnology over a millennia ago and has split in to at least three distinct and divergent cultures (planet bound normal humanity, the "Gifted" of the Guild of Gate Wardens and the near immortal cyborgs of the Pilot's Guild), currently coexisting in an uneasy peace whilst aliens (the Sauriki and Quertzl from Future*World) are intruding in to the human sphere.

As and when I know what Chaosium intend to do with it, I'll say more, but at present I'm not sure when or even what exactly they'll do with it.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton

I always liked the Future*World setting, at least most of the concepts, especially a galactic empire built on world gates and not big space fleets.

I'd like to see it expanded into a full setting, as it would stand out among all the usual sci-fi settings. I will keep an eye out for Outpost 19.

The future I extrapolated from Lovecraft's references was always much more 'psychedelic' and 'weird' than just a 'conventional' SF setting with Cthulhu still lurking in the background.

I always took the Tsan-Chan and Dark Conquerors as being examples of humanity slowly... losing it's humanity... of becoming a part of the Mythos... of moving among the stars in concert with the Mi Go and the Elder Things... knowing of them and being part of that 'community'... men moving between the stars by means of 'spells' and 'light envelopes'. Extra-dimensional entities being an accepted part of hazardous reality... like asteroid-fields and black holes... that require proper 'ritual' to keep clear of. Not in some Warhammer 40K neo-luddite way... but as a full on understanding of science/mathematics as 'magic'.

I guess I see it as a sort of Transhumanist setting... with the various elements of Mythos reality taking an equal role to nanotechnology and cybernetics/biotechnology in creating the 'new men'.

Very dark and cold and... ultimately... depressing.

As and when I know what Chaosium intend to do with it, I'll say more, but at present I'm not sure when or even what exactly they'll do with it.

Cheers,

Nick

I hope that it sees the light of day. I'd very definately buy it!:thumb:

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

The future I extrapolated from Lovecraft's references was always much more 'psychedelic' and 'weird' than just a 'conventional' SF setting with Cthulhu still lurking in the background.

I always took the Tsan-Chan and Dark Conquerors as being examples of humanity slowly... losing it's humanity... of becoming a part of the Mythos... of moving among the stars in concert with the Mi Go and the Elder Things... knowing of them and being part of that 'community'... men moving between the stars by means of 'spells' and 'light envelopes'. Extra-dimensional entities being an accepted part of hazardous reality... like asteroid-fields and black holes... that require proper 'ritual' to keep clear of. Not in some Warhammer 40K neo-luddite way... but as a full on understanding of science/mathematics as 'magic'.

I guess I see it as a sort of Transhumanist setting... with the various elements of Mythos reality taking an equal role to nanotechnology and cybernetics/biotechnology in creating the 'new men'.

Very dark and cold and... ultimately... depressing.

Have you ever heard of Darkspace by Monte Cook?

1301 Dark Space

It was Lovecraftian space opera. It would make for a good BRP conversion as it has magic, softech and SF all in one universe.

I loved Dark Space... loads of great stuff in there.

I can see how it was meant to have Lovecraftian elements but somehow the few times we played it it came off as a less whimsical version of Spelljammer... maybe that was just the guys I was playing with.

I need to dig out that book and read through it again...

The mutated items rules from the new BRP book would be a good way to do the softech equipment.

Oooh... I haven't gotten to that part yet...

Seems to me that a lot of Lovecraft's space travelling races.. the Elder things, Mi Go, etc... while knowing a lot more than humans about the Mythos are still likely to be fairly ignorant of the deeper secrets... and possible more scared/cautious about it than us...

"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here. If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all, you would've hidden from it in terror." - Emperor Ming

But what changes come over humanity once we are living out there... amongst them? Once we are ALL aware of the mythos to some degree... once we are openly rubbing elbows with the Mi Go and sentient gasses and other wierdness... is it going to look like Traveller with Elder Things replacing the Hivers? or more like Spelljammer... with Star Spawn taking the place of the Mind Flayers? or is it just some weird messed up thing that can't be gamed anymore because it's just too alien?

The cover looks different than what I remember, but I browsed through some of the Softech items. Creepy icky! Instead of your standard pulp jet or rocket pack, imagine a living dragonfly-ish creature that attaches itself to your spine to enable flight. (Shudder.)

I loved Dark Space... loads of great stuff in there.

Indeed. Monte Cook loved it so much he returned to the themes and ideas at least twice more for fantasy settings: in Wind-Riders of the Jagged Cliffs for the revised Dark Sun Campaign setting# and again for D&D 3e/ d20 in Malhavoc's Chaositech, which even includes a few Lovecraftian deities (the Galchutt, one of whom is Abhoth).

I wish I still had a copy of Dark Space... :(

Cheers,

Nick

#and I've always wondered if the rumoured "returning space halflings" direction of the meta-plot for that line was actually going to be an invasion of Lovecraftian horrors spearheaded by halflings corrupted by their "life-shaping" technology...

Edited by NickMiddleton