Chaosium's July 13th BRP-related blog news

Jason D

Chaosium.com: News - July Happenings

This one is seem highly relevant to BRP, so I'm cross-posting it here:

July Happenings

Contributed by Dustin Wright on Sunday July 13, 2008 05:15AM

July Happenings

Racing to see just how many things we can squeeze into July.

Now our summer can start in earnest. Basic Roleplaying is a big book. As such, it took a lot of attention and resources to bring it to fruition. Now that it's out there and finally generating some sales we can turn our attention to other projects and use some of that new money to make them happen. If you're having trouble finding a copy of the book in your local shop that'll be because most distributors under ordered it. We've sent out second shipments to several of them already. If you have any interest in owning a copy please buy it the first time you see it. It's the only way to show everyone there is demand for more BRP!

I've already mentioned the pile of monographs we're working through. We got two of them available as PDF's last week. Once Men is a set of Sci-Fi Cthulhu adventures by End Times author Dr. LaBossier. The Vault is a 1920's Call of Cthulhu adventure by Rise of the Dead author Andre Kruppa. Physical copies will be available late in the month. Two Cthulhu Invictus support monographs by Oscar Rios are currently in Layout. I expect one of them (if not both) to become available as a PDFs by the end of the week. Two additional monographs are back in the hands of their authors for some graphical tweaking. Our printer panics anytime it sees a hint of color art and flat out rejects a manuscript which uses any. So we're waiting on 100% color free versions before those two can move forward. Hopefully we'll see PDF versions of both by the end of July.

We have a handful of short books for Basic Roleplaying in the works as I type this. All of them are hitting the editorial and art assignment stages at the same time. I'm terribly curious to see how that will play out. One of them might be available as a PDF by the end of the month, but I'm very unsure about that. Hopefully the PDF sales well enough to justify spending more money on the work to release into distribution!

I've been toying with the idea of developing adventures (BRP & CoC) for sale as PDF's. Once several of them were available they could be collected into a book of adventures. If that idea excites you let me know. I'm still on the fence myself.

Speaking of adventures, I received a submission for the BRP Adventure Contest. Said contest ends in three weeks...

We'll be making some changes to our website this week. Best not to jinx that with predictions.

Oh yes. If you find yourself happy about something we're doing drop me a line about it. I only ever hear from unhappy people it seems. So it's your duty as a happier person to help balance out the negative folks. There's no actual rule that happy people can't send email too you know!

Dustin O'Chaosium

Well, I know that ONE adventure for the BRP contest wasn't mine! :lol: I'll be sending it very late July, no doubt. Let's get busy people and get those adventures in!

In fact, consider that you might be competing against a fairly limited amount of submissions, so the odds have to be pretty good, right?

Well, I know that ONE adventure for the BRP contest wasn't mine! :lol: I'll be sending it very late July, no doubt. Let's get busy people and get those adventures in!

In fact, consider that you might be competing against a fairly limited amount of submissions, so the odds have to be pretty good, right?

We have achance! :thumb:

I'll submit mine late in July too.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

That may well be true. Unfortunately, although the contest looks like it was originally mentioned over a month-and-a-half ago or so, many people are still just now getting their copies of BRP.

I had an idea for the submission, but i have only gotten my copy of BRP last week. The two weeks left for before the deadline is so limited a time frame to come up with something I would be proud of submitting, that it's not even worth it for me to try.

If they do get a low number of submissions, I do hope they realize that many people will have only had the book for about 2 weeks before the contest deadline, and that they don't incorrectly chalk it up to a lack of interest in the revised system.

Steve M

Oh, I think they know time was/is an issue for many. Truth be told, I STILL don't have my copy of BRP. I choked at spending $26 for the PDF when I should have a hard copy in my hands this week (seriously, this time for SURE).

Knowing the BRP system, it's been more about getting research done for my adventure idea, and things have gotten out of hand quickly. :D I'm very near to wishing I'd gone with another idea, but we all know how when inspiration strikes, you just have to go with it.

For the record, I was half-joking about limited competition giving some of us poorer writers a chance. To a degree that may be true, but I think we all want to see some excellent adventures come out of this contest, ones that show the strengths and flexibility of BRP.

SteveMND, if you had two weeks to come up with a BRP adventure to show the system off to some gamers, could you do it? I think you could. Just a quick adventure for an evening of gaming? You KNOW you want to...

SteveMND, if you had two weeks to come up with a BRP adventure to show the system off to some gamers, could you do it? I think you could.

Oh, I'm sure I could as well. In fact, I grew up on RQ like others grew up on D&D, so i don't think there'd be any major problem with the mechanics end of it, and I've written my fair share of RPGA modules, so I know the procedure there.

Rather, my issue isn't whether I can come up with something in two weeks, but whether I can come up with something presentable in two weeks. There's what's in my head and jotted down in half-scribbled notes across dozens of notebooks, and then there's what I would feel comfortable submitting as a finished product.

For those of us who are overly anal-retentive when it comes to such things, the two aren't likely to converge in just two weeks, especially with all my other Real Life stuff going on. :)

Steve M

No problem, SteveMND. I was just seeing if a bit of a 'push' might help. :

Just like working with software (no software is ever truly finished) you could get something down on paper, but compromise features and functionality to meet a deadline. There are always more ideas than time.

On the other hand, just as there is often a "version 2.0" for software, I'd bet Chaosium will be looking to do another BRP contest in the near future. The BRP book is something they should push for years, and every worldbook or adventure just adds to the value of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hwo are you doing ORtrail? I'm punching the keyboard as we speak, trying to get it finished in time! ;)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I had the VERY same thought about bringing this thread back up from the depths! :lol:

Frantic, the word is FRANTIC. Dustin was very cool about letting me go well over the 7,000 word limit, but time is the enemy now. I'm at the editing stage, but I've got TONS left to rewrite, maps to do, oh and some stats too.

I thought seriously about dropping this bloated monster and writing up an old SuperWorld scenario, or a pulp adventure over the weekend, but I just can't do it!

I thought about scaling back on this adventure, but I struggled to get it down to what I have now, and it would feel "incomplete".

So, a late night for me tonight, and tomorrow, and we'll see. I'm 75% sure I will have it done in time to email off. At the very worst? I just don't get it all together in time, but I've enjoyed the whole process, sharpened my Word skills, and wrote the single biggest adventure of my gaming life.