Advanced Combat: SR map?

Jakob

Just an idea to make Strike Rank management in advanced combat easier: How about using a map with 40-50 numbered squares? At the beginning of each combat round, each participant puts a marker on the number corresponding to her or his SR; from there, you can then move the markers with each loss of SR. I you want to know whose turn it is to act, just look who's standing on the square with the highest number.

• Like 1

This would certainly be doable. In fact, this is exactly what you do when you play online, using the Initiative Tracker that Fantasy Grounds, MapTools or Roll20 provide to track the SR losses. I will try to upload a short video done with Fantasy Grounds to show everyone how to run combat - this will make things clearer.

The only problem I see is that this would require lots of number/letter tokens to put on the track, as each token should identify a single combatant. This approach is absolutely perfect online, but on tabletop the dice solution is still more manageable, believe me.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

4 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

The only problem I see is that this would require lots of number/letter tokens to put on the track, as each token should identify a single combatant. This approach is absolutely perfect online, but on tabletop the dice solution is still more manageable, believe me.

I'm not so sure about that ... I've been playing a German rpg that has a similar initiative system (albeit one without rounds - you just count initiative up, and whoever has the lowest current initiative gets his turn to act), and it works pretty well with the counters ... seems way easier to me than having D20s that easil get knocked over and where you also have to keep track of which die represents which NPC. It's probably a matter of taste.

Something like a magnetic dry erase board in a calendar layout springs to mind. Then you could give each character a token and it would "stay put" on the board, in the right place, magnetically.  Hang it from a wall behind the GM and it should be fairly easy to use. You could even get printable magnetic sheets and print off custom counters for the PCs and major NPCs, and some sort of numbered generic counters for the mooks. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.