What would it require to remake Genert?

Harrek

Hello,

we have quite a heroic campaign going on and I think we'll have "a competition" between PC's and chaos bosses of Tunneled Hills in the future. The PC's try to remake Genert and the other side is trying to stitch together Wakboth the Devil. Hero Wars certainly are here...

What would it require to wake/remake Genert again? There was some discussion about this matter in another thread.

His bones (or Copper warriors?) are the Copper Sands, hyenas ate his body, some of Genert's magic is still active. What else is there?

What would be the result of this kind of project? Genert has obviously lost some of his powers along the way (after all he was destroyed).

I'd appreciate some ideas/information. 

We are doing the same in our game. 

Getting all of the Hyenas in the Wastes on your side. Getting the Desert Trackers on your side too. Help from the giants? Help from Ronance. Convincing the Praxians that it will be a good idea :) 

Making sure that his palace is free of Chaos.

The PCs in our Praxian campaign have done exactly that.

Obviously, not everything was done by the PCs themselves, as this has been a centuries-long project.

I assumed the people of the Growing Grounds had been collecting hyena skins and other parts of Genert for a long time and had stitched them together into a form loosely resembling Genert's body. But they were stuck as to what else to do.

The PCs in the campaign had been to a hidden shrine on the Wastes and had found a jackal-headed statue buried in the sand. The mouth was open and they could see something glinting in its throat, perhaps a gem or jewellry. When someone put their hand in to get the gem, the mouth closed, neatly severing the arm, but when they pulled the arm out, it was intact but made of copper. There followed a flurry of sticking arms and legs into the mouth to get some copper limbs, but the power only worked on each PC 1D4 times, do they had a variety of copper limbs. This marked them out as Earth People, which allowed them to contact the people of the Growing Grounds later on.

The PCs were also River Voices and soon realised that "Wherever they were, so was Zola Fel", so their Zola Fel magic worked away from the river. They had found a Death Barge in Snakepipe Hollow, that was part of the River Voices' regalia and could use it to travel along rivers and which could travel through any underground river, no matter how small the passage. They used this to form water beneath the Barge and that allowed them to travel along dry land, as if on a river, for Wherever they were, so was Zola Fel. They traveled through the Wastes on their Barge, bringing Zola Fel to the Wastes.

A little later, a PC performed the Yelm-Oslir HeroQuest several times, to become the husbands of Kinope/Zola Fel. Next year, they repeated the HeroQuest, in opposition to the Yelmalians, marrying Kinope instead of the Yelmalian candidate, and repeated the next year. The year after, the Count had prepared a more powerful candidate, but a Moon Boat appeared and a cadre of Sun Lords of Yelm disembarked and proceeded to lie down on the ground. Another Yelm Sun Lord came off and walked upon the bodies of the Sun Lords, who quickly got up and moved to the front, allowing him to walk without touching the ground. This was the Red Emperor himself, come to perform the Yelm-Oslir HeroQuest. The PCs nearly soiled the holy waters of Zola Fel when they realised who it was. They performed the HeroQuest and persuaded the Red Emperor to return in Seven Years time, at which point they would marry the Zola Fel to the Red Emperor, as long as they had not already found a suitable husband. The Red Emperor accepted this judgement and left. Now, who could be a suitable husband for Zola Fel? Genert! But, isn't he dead? No problem, said an initiate of Cartith the Desert Tracker, we can resurrect him! He then told the PCs the secrets of the hyena skin.

When they went to the Growing Ground, they found that the people there recognised them as People of the Earth and gave them a lost of parts of Genert they had been searching for and could not find. The PCs went on a series of adventures where they found these bits of Genert. His Hair was the coat of the Great Angry Beast, a mammoth that appeared once a generation to trample over some sacred places, the PCs found that it had Tada's Spear stuck in its foot and that was what was making it Angry, His Eyes were crystals that they found in a couple of places. His Liver was in Grandfather Newt's tail, which made all newtling tails taste of liver, which they found by bringing back Grandfather Newt by reforming his statue and going to the rainbow Mounds to take part in his battle with the Rock Lizard Mother, eventually they realised he had Genert's Liver in his tail and retrieved it, thus making Newtling Tails no longer tasty. His penis was in a statue on the Holy Country, so a female PC HeroQuested to show that she was the hero whose statue was in the sanctuary, described as a Ugly Cock-Woman (A running joke as the PC was rolled up with 6 CHA), the people recognised her and she walked out with Genert's Penis as part of her, but 6 feet long. I think they found his testicles somewhere as well, but I cannot remember. His Breath was trapped in a demon and they HeroQuested to the Green Age to find his Soul. 

Finally, they managed to get all the missing pieces together. They then used a Green Desert ability that they had picked up, together with the fact that they had brought Zola Fel to the Wastes, to make parts of the Wastes bloom again, They spent over a year, game time, finding all the Hidden Greens of Prax and uniting them in one big patchwork of fertility. they also united the Oasis People by going to each Oasis and showing that they were part of a great whole and not isolated. they assembled the regalia of Tada and brought him back. Melo Yelo translated words on a great pyramid in God Time and became Prophet of Pavis, allowing them to bring back Pavis from the Green Age. Once they had done all of that, they realised that they could use bits of what they had done to help in the bringing back of Genert. They made a new aspect of Zola Fel, Queen Zola Fel, who was the goddess of water in the Wastes, They married Genert to Queen Zola Fel, even though he was dead. They used Queen Zola Fel as Genert's wife to reinvigorate the land, in conjunction with Green Desert. They brought all the Hyenas to the Growing Ground where they vomited up all the parts of Genert. They built a pit and put therein 1,000 people that they then sacrificed to Genert, without batting an eyebrow. They forged the New Copper Army, by shaping the Copper Sands into the dead copper folk. They went to the Green Age and brought back Genert's Life Force, pumped it through Queen Zola Fek in the Wastes, used that to make parts of the desert green, They put everything together and did a lot more stuff to ring back Genert and restored him to life. they then married King Genert and Queen Zola Fel again, to reinforce the bond. 

I know I have missed a lot out, but that is the gist of how they did it.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Thanks for the comprehensive answer soltakss. It gave me some ideas. What about the relationship between Orlanth and Genert? I know the myth Initiation of Orlanth from King of Sartar. In that myth Genert the Giant was one of the bad giants who threw Orlanth and his brothers to different pits. My PC is a hero of Orlanth who knows the myths to go to Green Age among other things. He would be the primus motor (of course he's not trying to do it alone) in bringing Genert back. Are there any mythical problems in that?  

Soltakss, what happened in your campaign after Genert was remade? 

By the way, my character's plan is not to awaken Tada in he process.

2 hours ago, Harrek said:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer soltakss. It gave me some ideas. What about the relationship between Orlanth and Genert? I know the myth Initiation of Orlanth from King of Sartar. In that myth Genert the Giant was one of the bad giants who threw Orlanth and his brothers to different pits. My PC is a hero of Orlanth who knows the myths to go to Green Age among other things. He would be the primus motor (of course he's not trying to do it alone) in bringing Genert back. Are there any mythical problems in that?  

Orlanth is King of the Storm Tribe, King of the Gods and married to the Queen of the Earth Tribe. Genert is King of the Earth Tribe. There is a clash right there, in that Ernalda is Queen of the Earth Tribe and Genert was King of the Earth Tribe, someone is going to step on the other's toes at some point.

Genert is Orlanth's Uncle and is probably one of the Bad Uncles who threw Orlanth, Storm Bull and Ragnaglar into pits. What effect that had on the relationship is not clear.

It looks as though Orlanth left Genert's Garden alone, by and large. Presumably Genert was too big and powerful to mess with.

One thing that orlanth was incapable of doing through the Lightbringer Quest was bringing Genert back. If a PC hero could do this then he would surpass Orlanth and, thereby, become a Hero. Orlanth probably wouldn't be too unhappy about this, as long as Genert leaves the Earth Tribe alone.

Soltakss, what happened in your campaign after Genert was remade?

The PCs brought back Sartar and Tarkalor, purged the Crimson Bat of Chaos and drove the Lunars out of Sartar and the Holy Country. Melo Yelo became King of Dragon Pass, yes really. He was also accepted as an honorary son of Yelm and became a way for beast folk to join cults of Light. One of the PCs emulated the Pharaoh and restored the Fish Roads in the Holy Country, he also united the people, who had been at war, then brought the Only Old One back. They HeroQuested to prove that all the World's Waters were connected and that they could act as Voices for all the Waters of the World, not just Zola Fel. They sent an aspect of Krarsht and the Gloomshark on the Cleansed One Quest and, in doing so, caused the ravaging of the upper half of the Zola Fel basin, before forcing them to eat each other.

As for Genert, he has taken his place in Genert's Palace, where he is licking his wounds and regrouping. Whether he is an Aspect of Genert or the full deity remains to be seen. At the moment, he can act within Time, so is probably an Aspect. Many Earth people are sending emissaries to Genert and the PCs routinely go and drive out any Lunar emissaries. Tada rules Prax and treats Genert as a High King. The Elves have started the reforestation of Prax and are creating many groves. The PCs have forced them to allow for open areas for grazing and farming. The land is slowly becoming more fertile as Genert gains in strength. The PCs performed a version of the Ritual of the Net to bring all the people of Prax together in harmony, binding them together. They have now done something similar to bring together the people of Prax, Dragon Pass and the Holy Country together in harmony, as they have found that every time they go away for long periods of time, disharmony comes along and the various people fight and weaken themselves. They have put Tada, The Only Old One and the Feathered Horse Queen as regents, forming a High Council, while they are away.

By the way, my character's plan is not to awaken Tada in he process.

Fair enough. I had a saying "First the Slave, then the Master", which the players interpreted as First Tada, then Genert and brought them back in that order.

Why isn't the player planning to bring back Tada? He is Vingkot's father in Law and has a connection to the Storm Tribe. 

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

Here are the parts that I would write the adventure around:

The Mould

Firstly the location of the cave which is the mould for Genert. I'm not sure if it is finished, who made it, or how. I do know it looks like:

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/beautiful-sand-rock-cave-water-erosion-red-eroded-wind-inside-mountain-antelope-canyon-arizona-usa-70279876.jpg

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/beautiful-sand-rock-cave-water-erosion-red-eroded-wind-inside-mountain-antelope-canyon-arizona-america-usa-grand-canyon-76664953.jpg

http://www.strangedangers.com/images/content/147862.jpg

Perhaps it's natural, made by Storm Bulls winds and the Wicked Writher.

The Skin

Hyena skins are already here, deposited by the desert trackers and others involved.

The Body

The Copper Sands aren't his bones, but his body. They will fill the cave.

The Vital Force

Hyena vomit, a spiritual reemergence of the consumed Genert.

Important Body Parts

The Incorruptible Eye of Genert. This largest surviving piece of Genert is said to have had sight beyond mortal ken.

Tada's loincloth - The fertility of the Genert's Garden. This is of course a euphemism for Genert's genitals.

Heart - fate unknown, but something cool should take its place if it can't be found.

The Team

The PCs! I don't think the Oases Folk, Issaries cultists, Tada (minus genitals), Praxians are needed. But they would certainly add colour.

As I said in the other thread - What could possibly go wrong with remaking a dead god :-)

• Like 5

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

16 hours ago, soltakss said:

Why isn't the player planning to bring back Tada?

That's because of some social relations in the campaign. One PC (now former PC) is a very influential basmoli shaman. He isn't very fond of about bringing Tada back :) There are some alliances and promises made, and they would be broken if Tada is to be awakened.

Thanks for the last reply. It gives some ideas about how to proceed.

9 hours ago, David Scott said:

Heart - fate unknown, but something cool should take its place if it can't be found.

I'm sure the Dwarf can provide something interesting - assuming they consider remaking Genert to be part of rebuilding the World Machine.

Or maybe the sacred Moonstone from the New Temple of the Reaching Moon (if you can save it before the Brown Dragon swallows it).

• Like 2

On 3/7/2017 at 7:14 AM, Iskallor said:

Or Glue 100.

Glue doesn't work on living creatures, so when he gets resurrected, does he fall apart? It also lasts 5 minutes, so the ritual had better be quick!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 1:06 PM, kalidor said:

someone develops earth pantheon myths and gods in the future and not only yelm-lunar-orlanth battle for supremacy

I've been playing around with some of these as I work on developing Nochet.  You'll find some already in the Esrolia book.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2017 at 2:58 PM, Harrek said:

Why some see Ronance so important in bringing back Genert?  I'm refining my PC's plan...

Ronance is one of the Old Earth Gods of Prax and has some connection to Genert. Many secrets of Genert were stored in the beliefs, myths and traditions of the Old Earth Gods and restoring those gods means that the various secrets can be rediscovered. The more secrets are uncovered the more they can be linked together and this can open more secrets. I am sure that some of the acts needed to bring back Genert are only known in lost secrets, or in combinations of lost secrets.

• Like 2