Jump to content

Modern Supernatural RPG for Mythras?


heathd666

Recommended Posts

so is there anything in the works for this? i read this article here    https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?764091-necro-appropriately-After-The-Vampire-Wars-Is-HERE!/page4

where Loz and Mr Snead spoke briefly about something After the Vampire Wars porting over to Mythras. so any possibility for this happening? or a After the Vampire Wars serial numbers filed off for Mythras?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! That is so awesome! Will it be basically the same book like that put out by Chaosium or will there be new stuff. Would a person that already has AtVW benefit from the new book? Awesome! Awesome!

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, rsanford said:

Wow! That is so awesome! Will it be basically the same book like that put out by Chaosium or will there be new stuff. Would a person that already has AtVW benefit from the new book? Awesome! Awesome!

Until we can fully review the content, I really don't know the extent of changes John's made. And that won't be for a few weeks yet. 

But I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and assume you're happy with the news... ☺️

  • Like 3

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i definitly am happy!!!!!!  i bought the first "After the Vampire Wars" book at gen con and was told i would get a free pdf. never did but i couldnt find the receipt either so i bought a second copy of the book january or february of last year with the idea of scanning it to get a pdf because i dont usually carry physical books i carry a tablet with my gaming library on it. but never got around to it. so hopefully when it is published i can get a pdf of it because i still dont have one of it yet and cant find where to buy a pdf of it lol. im definitly new to mythras but an old player of d100 so looking forward to the direction that design mechanism is going in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is interesting news.

I bought a copy of the Chaosium version... based primarily on my enjoyment of Mr. Snead's previous work. In truth, on reading it, I thought it was a bit... undercooked. But I've felt that way about several of the later Chaosium books... like Atomic Age Cthulhu and Astounding Adventures. Not the author's fault I suspect. So I'll look forward to the Mythras version with renewed enthusiasm.

If only The Chronicles of Future Earth could have made the crossing as well...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

That do not involve Mythras. And I've no idea what system may be used. I know Sarah comes here from time to time and she may have more news. 

Hmmmm.  Well, Sarah (or someone from Mindjammer Press) should revise their website.

https://mindjammerpress.com/chronicles/   still says that they are planning to use RQ6 from DesignMechanism, expected in the 2014/2015 timeframe ...  :blink:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Hmmmm.  Well, Sarah (or someone from Mindjammer Press) should revise their website.

https://mindjammerpress.com/chronicles/   still says that they are planning to use RQ6 from DesignMechanism, expected in the 2014/2015 timeframe ...  :blink:

 

Yeah, that's still the initial text from 2013 up there ... I've been asking about Future Earth in mindjammer presses own forums, and the only thing that seems for sure at the moment is that it is not going to be for Mythras. Sarah stated somewhere that she first needs to figure out a deal for the publication of her Future Earth novels ... I'm guessing she's probably planning for a stand-alone game by now. However, Mindjammer press has a lot on their plate with fullfilling their extremely succesful Mindjammer kickstarter (and as a "everything in print" backer I can say that they're doing a great job). I suspect it will be a while before there's any substantial news about Future Earth.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that's a shame. The Future Earth book was a great setting for BRP, and deserved to be expanded in a fully realised setting. I would really have preferred that it used a BRP system as a core system (regardless of whether it's BGB, CoC 7E, RQ, Mythras, OQ, Renaissance, Revolution D100, etc). I don't think I'll follow it over to something like FATE or it's own system. As much as I like the setting, my 'GM hat' thinks mainly in BRP Family game mechanics these days, so I'm not that big on learning completely new systems anymore.

Getting back to the original post, I'm pretty happy that we look like seeing more work from Jon Snead somewhere in the contemporary BRP Family of games.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mankcam said:

Well that's a shame. The Future Earth book was a great setting for BRP, and deserved to be expanded in a fully realised setting. I would really have preferred that it used a BRP system as a core system (regardless of whether it's BGB, CoC 7E, RQ, Mythras, OQ, Renaissance, Revolution D100, etc). I don't think I'll follow it over to something like FATE or it's own system. As much as I like the setting, my 'GM hat' thinks mainly in BRP Family game mechanics these days, so I'm not that big on learning completely new systems anymore.

Well, I kind of suspect that it will still be BRP-based ... I seem to remember Sarah stating somewhere that it would definitely not be Fate, but something more crunchy. But I must also stress that I have no special knowledge about the whole thing.

BTW, "After the Vampire Wars" sounds interesting. Hadn't heard anything about this setting before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2017-02-28 at 3:25 AM, TrippyHippy said:

Yay! I'd buy that!

Would you be able to adapt Enlightened Magic also?

 

I'm excited to hear this! I'm a fan of Snead's work but never managed to get my hands on the Chaosium version.

Hopefully Enlightened Magic can be converted as well, or even incorporated into the Vampire Wars book. Both are fairly slim volumes, IIRC.  Mythras doesn't need another magic system, but a low-key ritual magic system would be a welcome complement to the quick and powerful magic of the core book. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 2/28/2017 at 2:48 PM, Jakob said:

Well, I kind of suspect that it will still be BRP-based ... I seem to remember Sarah stating somewhere that it would definitely not be Fate, but something more crunchy. But I must also stress that I have no special knowledge about the whole thing.

BTW, "After the Vampire Wars" sounds interesting. Hadn't heard anything about this setting before.

Modiphious has its own house system, now: 2D20.  I would not be surprised to see Chronicles published using it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well after perusing my new CONAN rpg pdf, the 2D20 system is more in the BRP ballpark than it is in the FATE ballpark; so it will be a reasonable fit for Chronicles of Future Earth. However I still would prefer it in a BRP engine, but that no longer seems  to be happening.

  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...