smiorgan

Today straight Stormbringer 4e session.

9 posts in this topic

Today I ran SB4 for the kids. It worked very well for a very narrative session. We weren't playing it "old school" - just playing and running with the story. Sometimes I think new editions and rulesets may be cool but are really not needed. A barebones BRP engine and there you go.

3 people like this

I've got a copy of SB4 that I got for free with an order from Wayne's Books. It's an edition that I've never played, or much looked at. What's your impression of it?

Isn't SB4 still with the old magic system? INT+POW requirements for advancing as a sorcerer and  such?

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Thot said:

Isn't SB4 still with the old magic system? INT+POW requirements for advancing as a sorcerer and  such?

SB4 has its own Demon Summoning system, by Ben Monroe, which supersedes the demon rules of SB 1-3. The rest of the magic system is more similar to SB 1-3, but not identical (there are no sorcerer ranks based on INT+POW, for instance).

It was my first Stormbringer. I have played it a LOT. It's a great game and it was reasonably well supported with 4 good supplements. 

Edited by smiorgan

So the magic system is sort of an intermediate between SB1-3 and Elric?

On ‎24‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 7:46 AM, Thot said:

Yes

On 4/24/2017 at 1:46 AM, Thot said:

How different is Elric from SB and its iterations?

I ask because I just ordered a copy of Eleric from The Hero Factory. I'm anxious to get back into this world by any means necessary. :-D

Posted (edited)

On 15/05/2017 at 9:03 PM, Mel Riffe said:

How different is Elric from SB and its iterations?

I ask because I just ordered a copy of Eleric from The Hero Factory. I'm anxious to get back into this world by any means necessary. :-D

Elric! Is very different from StormBringer 1 to 4.

-In SB, skill base values are very low, and influenced by characteristics. Elric! has decent base skills, which are mostly decoupled from attributes.

-Elric! starting characters are very experienced.

-Elric! has a series of simple spells anyone with POW 16+ can learn. Both have elementals and demon summonings.

-Elric! combat system is more complex.

-SB uses a d100 to determine one's nationality. It is possible to roll a Nadsokor beggar, or a Melnibonean Warrior-Priest-Sorcerer. The second one is absurdly overpowered.

SB 5 is basically Elric! 2nd edition.

As for myself, my favorite Young Kingdoms RPG is Elric of Melniboné 2d version, for MRQ2.

Edited by Mugen
1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Mugen said:

Elric! Is very different from StormBringer 1 to 4.

-In SB, skill base values are very low, and influenced by characteristics. Elric! has decent base skills, which are mostly decoupled from attributes.

-Elric! starting characters are very experienced.

-Elric! has a series of simple spells anyone with POW 16+ can learn. Both have elementals and demon summonings.

-SB combat system is more complex.

-SB uses a d100 to determine one's nationality. It is possible to roll a Nadsokor beggar, or a Melnibonean Warrior-Priest-Sorcerer. The second one is absurdly overpowered.

SB 5 is basically Elric! 2nd edition.

As for myself, my favorite Young Kingdoms RPG is Elric of Melniboné 2d version, for MRQ2.

Thanks for the feedback, Mugen. I did play SB 1, but only once and when it came out; I remember no details.