Site News & Feedback

Trifletraxor

There was an informal mention that the website would get an upgrade (from the "problem with the search function" thread, I think), but no actual announcement.

And yes, the templates need some love, I'm sure Triff is hard at work on it. Software upgrades are the worst.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

2 hours ago, Kloster said:

One note: We are not able anymore to edit our own posts. I did a typing mistake and can not correct it.

Actually, we can, but the location of the Edit option has moved from just below the post (where it was located along with "Quote") and can now be found to the upper right of your post among the three-dot (...) "More options..."

I've accidentally and reflexively quoted myself several times lately.  Yeah, it's confusing.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
To drive home a point.
  • Thanks 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

• 1 month later...

@Trifletraxor I clicked 'Submit Reply', but the text in the box didn't disappear, and no new post was added to the thread. This happened again, and then the text disappeared but the post still didn't appear. I wrote it again, and then it worked. And then the previous posts appeared too: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/13078-clan-economics-or-bread-and-peas-in-times-of-hero-wars/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-203678

34 minutes ago, Brootse said:

@Trifletraxor I clicked 'Submit Reply', but the text in the box didn't disappear, and no new post was added to the thread. This happened again, and then the text disappeared but the post still didn't appear. I wrote it again, and then it worked. And then the previous posts appeared too: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/13078-clan-economics-or-bread-and-peas-in-times-of-hero-wars/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-203678

Yeah, this happens when the network is slow, or the response is slow. I sometimes copy my reply, or reopen the thread in a different tab, to see if the reply made it in, otherwise I edit the duplicate post away, as you did.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I haven't otherwise noticed this multi-posting problem since the upgrade.

I've seen it quite a few times, before that.  It seems to have been sporadic, with long(ish) periods where I noticed no multi-posts (and thus I feel the current state is not proof of a "fix"), and periods where multi-posts were relatively frequent (weekly(ish)?).

C'es ne pas un .sig

There's been a long standing bug where, if you have a thread that has 2 pages, and you write your reply while on the first page, your reply will show up on page 2, obviously, but you won't see it (since you're on page 1)... so it looks like your post was sent but lost.

There might be another similar but different bug after the upgrade, though, if there's a problem even for 1-page-long threads, or when posting correctly on the last page.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2020 at 2:07 PM, Trifletraxor said:

Haven't encountered this myself. Bandwidth on the forum end should be good enough. It automatically upgrade the hosting to a more expensive plan when they number of active members online reach a new threshold.

hopefulyl you are not paying the freight yourself, good sir—or perhaps you meant more expansive path...?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 11 months later...
On 12/10/2021 at 8:02 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Is the site affected by the Log4J vulnerability, and is that why it was down for a while today?

I don't think so. Just updated the software to be sure I didn't miss a security update, but it was only a bug update.

• Like 1

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Would it be possible to increase the per-post emoji limit? I hit it when putting a lot of Gloranthan runes into a post.

I will have a look to see if it’s possible. How many does it take to reach your limit?

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I will have a look to see if it’s possible. How many does it take to reach your limit?

Looks like it's 75, but it's behaving differently now to what I saw earlier. Ah, probably because this time I'm editing, the other time I was posting. So if you write a new post with more than 75, it rejects it. But if you edit a post and go over the 75 limit, it just stops rendering them and you get the colon-rune-name-colon text for the remainder.

Hm, no I'm wrong, the post below behaves the same as when I edited. Maybe you get a reject if it's the first post in a new thread.

Hmmm, nope that's not it! No idea why I'm not getting an error message this time!

Edited by PhilHibbs

Testing:

:20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death:

:20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death::20-power-death:

Edited by PhilHibbs

Invision say:

We allow up to 75 emoticon images per post. This is hardcoded and is meant to prevent issues with users maliciously linking to thousands of images on a single page (which can then cause resource issues with the server itself).

However, look at his reply to get round it:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/444591-emoticons-limit-in-messages/#comment-2736053

note that these are emoticons (uploaded) as opposed to emojis (international standard)

• 6 months later...

Got some odd behaviour to report. Ali the Helering says a post I sent him repeated 14 times while I slept... as Avast tells me my computer is safe (and I am reasonably sure it was asleep) might there be a problem with BRP? Or with Ali's machine?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

20 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Got some odd behaviour to report. Ali the Helering says a post I sent him repeated 14 times while I slept... as Avast tells me my computer is safe (and I am reasonably sure it was asleep) might there be a problem with BRP? Or with Ali's machine?

My machine, I am afraid.  Now at the shop, and I am using my laptop.  Sorry about that Bill!

• 4 weeks later...

Site wide issue with downloading any file from the Download section it seems. Have not been able to figure it out by myself, so I've sent a support request to the InvisionPower support crew. Hopefully we'll have it fixed in a couple of days. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.