I'm still preparing to start my new group of players on 1920s Call of Cthulhu. I'm acquiring figures, mostly 25mm but of necessity getting a few in 28mm. <Damn figure creep and marketing guys>

I don't care so much about having the exact monsters from Cthulhu, I can use anything. And my PCs and NPCs will look archaic enough to my young players that I don't need to be a stickler for getting the costumes exactly right.

But, what else to dress the table with? Buildings are just too much, but think what I could do with cars! Car chases, dodging monsters, ambushes and roadblocks, hard cover in a gun fight, the list goes on.

So I went to the local, established and gritty model shop in town. Where they make models, dammit! And the guy shook his head radiating disapproval, because I'd made a fundamental error. Cars in the scale I'm looking for "just weren't made." Nothing even close.

What do you all use? Or am I the only one who wants to line up the adventurers on one side of a car, and have the monsters come slithering and hopping out of the brush on the other side of the road? I really don't want to take the time to actually build my own models, although I could if I get desperate enough. Save me from hot glue, you're my only hope!

MPC-6173-2.jpg

Look for 1/64th cars or better 1/56th scale vehicles for 28mm figures, 25mm is 1/72 scale but not AFAIR too many vehicles in 1/72 except war toys. Even S gauge model railroad stuff can work although it'll be horrendously expensive. A trip to Wal Mart, or any other large store having toys will allow you to pick up all manner of model cars. Take a figure along to check scale though as some are box scale (fit the model in a standard box) rather than exact scale.

• Like 1

Search for Lesney Models of 'Yesteryear' on ebay.

I use these and they are perfectly sized for my miniatures (and are reasonably priced).

Edited by mvincent
  • Like 1

Lesneys? Really? I thought they'd be too small. They're totally affordable on ebay, but I hesitate to buy them without seeing them in person, next to a figure.

They are a bit variable in scale, some are box scale and some as close to 1/56th as makes little difference. The height difference between a figure with a base and a 1/56th car shows, but 1/64th gives a better height against a figure with a base.

21 hours ago, Baron said:

Lesneys? Really? I thought they'd be too small. They're totally affordable on ebay, but I hesitate to buy them without seeing them in person, next to a figure.

car.jpg

• Like 2

OK, got 100 Chinese pre-painted figures for train sets for a dollar. Got 100 poker chips to glue them to, that's a second dollar. Two Lesney's arrived today, couple more bucks each. Here are the results!

CoC Figures.jpg