Running RQ demo games / FreeRPG day or later

styopa

I'd like very much to run RQ game(s) as demos for new players at my FLGS.  It sounds like the 48pp quickstart's only really going to be available that day, but hopefully those of us with relatively deep history with RQ shouldn't have too many issues running a pickup game.

Honestly, the hardest part for me is going to be looking through the QS rules and then running a game ONLY based on them and none of the other iterations in my head...

Chaosium has offered a lot of support to folks interested in doing this for CoC - I hope there's a plan for this on/after FreeRPG day too?

What do we need to do to connect our FLGS with Chaosium for FreeRPG day or what do we need to do to run games?

THANKS

When I joined the Cult of Chaos it was as a RQ demonstrator.  I've run several games and sent in reports in the past.  I stopped about a year ago when RQ 6 was dropped and am waiting for the new RQ to come out.  So I'm pretty sure they will be doing that once again after the QS comes out.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pentallion said:

When I joined the Cult of Chaos it was as a RQ demonstrator.  I've run several games and sent in reports in the past.  I stopped about a year ago when RQ 6 was dropped and am waiting for the new RQ to come out.  So I'm pretty sure they will be doing that once again after the QS comes out.

I am pretty sure that Chaosium has publicly hinted / teaser'ed that the "Quickstart" rules will only be the tip of their RQ "Organized Play" iceberg.

I do not believe they have given many (come to think of it ... ANY) details, however ...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 hours ago, g33k said:

I am pretty sure that Chaosium has publicly hinted / teaser'ed that the "Quickstart" rules will only be the tip of their RQ "Organized Play" iceberg.

We have exciting plans for RQ organized play that will be revealed in due course. 

The first offering is the RQ Quickstart. We'll be putting out a call for GMs on Free RPG Day to run the Quickstart scenario in game stores. If you commit to do so, you'll get a PDF copy of the Quickstart the week before the big day.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MOB said:

We have exciting plans for RQ organized play that will be revealed in due course. 

The first offering is the RQ Quickstart. We'll be putting out a call for GMs on Free RPG Day to run the Quickstart scenario in game stores. If you commit to do so, you'll get a PDF copy of the Quickstart the week before the big day.

That's fantastic, thanks!

11 hours ago, MOB said:

Oh, I'll most definitely commit to that!

It's on my calendar.  Contacting my 2 FGS's (at 50 & 90 min's distance from my home, they can't quite qualify as "FLGS's") to see which (or both) will participate, and can commit to providing a table...

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

It's on my calendar.  Contacting my 2 FGS's (at 50 & 90 min's distance from my home, they can't quite qualify as "FLGS's") to see which (or both) will participate, and can commit to providing a table...

BTW, your FLGS doesn't necessarily need to be participating in Free RPG Day for you to run a game there that weekend, we'll still send you the PDF of the Quickstart.

19 hours ago, MOB said:

BTW, your FLGS doesn't necessarily need to be participating in Free RPG Day for you to run a game there that weekend, we'll still send you the PDF of the Quickstart.

Yeah, but I need SOME venue other than home... so, all I *really* need is for them to make a table available.

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

Yeah, but I need SOME venue other than home... so, all I *really* need is for them to make a table available.

You can run it in public on Roll20, Twitch TV or whatever as well, all from the comfort of your home...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MOB said:

You can run it in public on Roll20, Twitch TV or whatever as well, all from the comfort of your home...

I've never gotten along well with online venues for emulating tabletop RPG'ing.

On the upside, the "Retailer Locator" tells me that one of my FGS's does indeed participate, and I've dropped them a note; I wasn't sure they planned to, as their online "event calendar" listed a different event that day.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Re the Broken Tower, any idea on how long that is going to take to run?  Assuming a table full of people reasonably acquainted with the concepts of RPGs (ie gamers), but perhaps not with RQ specifically (or broadly familiar with RQ3/6 and having to un-learn some paradigms)...

If we started early - say, 10am for the first game - would it be feasible to run it a couple of times in a day?

Happy to write an after-action report, if such is warranted.

Also, any idea when Chaosium will throw up a registration page?

Thanks!

Also, just thought of this:

Not sure if we're not too late for this, but if you said "hey, to run this game with the pregen characters and the monsters in Broken Tower, if you wanted to use figures you should get figure X(url) Y(url), and 4x Z(url)" that would be super helpful.

Probably more accessible for people unable to drop $40+ on a few actual mini figures (minifigs are stupid expensive, we all know) would be if you could commission some quick artwork (particularly if it's already somewhat done for the bestiary?) to generate paper standup figures specifically correct for the creatures in the sample adventure.  Make it available as a free download with the rules.

If you have the artwork and need help making standup minis out of it, I'd be happy to help.  (I use the binder clips, clip it to the bottom of the figure, then remove the spring-arms, works perfectly as a minifig.)

This sort of thing: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/102147/Monster-StandIns-Paper-Minis

I know we all CAN run games in our heads and verbally, but *particulary* for demo games, having a nice, color printable PDF multisheet battle map and figures - even paper standups - gets peoples' attention.  Ala StarterSet_10.jpg 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, styopa said:

Also, just thought of this:

Not sure if we're not too late for this, but if you said "hey, to run this game with the pregen characters and the monsters in Broken Tower, if you wanted to use figures ... 

Absolutely LOVE this notion!!!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

How can I volunteer for the demo game?

1. Find a FLGS that's doing "Free RPG Day" and sign up with them; they will even have a hardcopy!
  2. Find a FLGS that has "Open Gaming" that day, even if they don't participate in FreeRPGDay; commit to that with Chaosium, who will PDF you.
  3. Find a group (that isn't your "regular gaming group," I think?) for whom you will run RQ; do all the organization work yourself, commit to run RQ for them that day; and Chaosium will PDF you.

There may be other methods, but those are the ones that present themselves as likely ...

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, styopa said:

I think his question is how (ie where, when) to actually sign up.

Case 1 (from my list above) is easiest - do and done.  Sign up with a FLGS doing FreeRPGDay, show up to run on the day of ...   2 & 3 are increasing levels of effort...

If you can't run at a participating FLGS that day, I believe you need to sign up with the "Cult of Chaos" ( http://www.chaosium.com/join-the-cult-of-chaos ) to get PDF access to the Quickstart by FreeRPGDay -- general release isn't set until a couple of weeks thereafter.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 3 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this since DnD has lost some of its luster for me and I'm on the hunt for a good fantasy system.

I'm already planning on running The Derelict on Free RPG Day, but I'd run RuneQuest later in the day if giving the opportunity.

• Like 1