[M-SPACE] REFLUX to be Released April 4

clarence

The Constellate never fell. It faded.

The year is Y3260. The Ocath subsector is free, after many years under The Constellate’s brutal rule.

Free, but in turmoil.

This scenario for M-SPACE introduces The Weaver setting, telling an epic story about a dying empire, collapsing under a baroque cornucopia of empty gestures and brutality.

A starship fleeing from The Constellate’s armed forces disappeared 170 years ago. Now the characters must go to the Qioria system to search for it. But time is short. The planet is on a slow course for destruction and the hell holes of ignited gas grow every day.

Their only hope seems to emanate from the long forgotten teachings of the Weavers.

REFLUX will be released on April 4. 

Contents Include:

- Scenario with investigative elements, social conflicts, puzzles and action

- The rules for Extended Conflicts are used at focus points in the story to increase tension without having to resort to violence

- Background on The Weaver setting, describing the major forces

- Several alien species and their cultures

- Stats and deckplans for a PC starship

- Map of the Ocath subsector

- Planetary maps of Anobe and Qioria

- Town maps of Anobe City and Yllm

- Location layouts: Cantina, Security Forces HQ and the Bone Caves

- New rules on communications, FTL travel and three new careers

- New equipment

- Organisation stats

- Suggestions on how to vary the difficulty level of the scenario

- 106 pages, 10 in colour

The main rulebook for M-SPACE is required to get the most out of this book, but the scenario is useful with any BRP-based game.

M-SPACE 1.1 will be released on April 4 as well. As I’m sure some of you have seen already, this update is mainly about colour printing and a sturdier binding. The content is slightly updated but the new sections will be available for free on our website.

• Like 3

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

5 hours ago, clarence said:

The main rulebook for M-SPACE is required to get the most out of this book, but the scenario is useful with any BRP-based game.

Hmmmmm ...

So this isn't a "Quickstart" (with enough (but no more) game-rules to play the scenario in question) per se, but a supplement to the main game; is that correct? Are there pre-gen PC's available (in the book or d/l'able)?

If a GM wanted a "quickstart-ish" experience for players, could they take your free "M-Space Preview" plus DesignMechanism's "Mythras Imperative" (and Reflux), and achieve a reasonable facsimile of a Quickstart?

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Yes, this is a supplement, not a quickstart. Pre-gens will be available for download next week.

You could probably run this with Mythras Imperative. You would have to improvise a starship fight and a couple of Extended Conflicts, but otherwise it's quite straightforward. Adding in the M-SPACE preview will not help much I think. Maybe to give a hint about what starship combat and Extended Conflicts can be.

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

30 minutes ago, clarence said:

Yes, this is a supplement, not a quickstart. Pre-gens will be available for download next week.

You could probably run this with Mythras Imperative. You would have to improvise a starship fight and a couple of Extended Conflicts, but otherwise it's quite straightforward. Adding in the M-SPACE preview will not help much I think. Maybe to give a hint about what starship combat and Extended Conflicts can be.

Thank you!  If I might suggest/request:  an actual "Quickstart" ruleset might be advantageous.  Sounds like it's actually "almost there..." so it wouldn't be all that much work.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 minutes ago, clarence said:

Interesting idea. I haven't even thought about that.

So, at 30 or so pages, what would it take to make it functional? Short description of starship stats and combat? Some equipment? A two-page scenario? Anything else?

If the core of the rules is Mythras Imperative, then there's no need to repeat any of that material in your quickstart.  Focus on the stuff that makes M-SPACE unique (like the rules for starships and Escalated Conflict, I suppose), and have that be a shorter free download, with a note to pick up MI as well.

• Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

Yes, that's perfect. Quickstart rules building on top of quickstart rules - quite a novel concept actually. 

And you're right, Extended Conflicts should probably be included too. 

I just wish I knew someone with a good eye for scenario writing Matt ; )

• Like 2

An M-Space-in-brief that rode "alongside" MI is exactly what I was thinking of, actually!  :D

Identify the rules / mechanics that most make M-Space something more/other than Mythras, and do a concise version of those; then an adventure that showcases those in particular.

Offhand, I am thinking of a pt.1 / pt.2 adventure:  a small diplomatic mission (social conflicts, extended conflicts) that attempts to get a few isolated forces to unite in mutual defense; then a "downtime" where players get to advance their characters; followed by the starship-combat (and maybe vacc-suit and/or planetary combat) scenes, as the coalition then has to use their alliance to keep the Bad Guys (tm) from doing all sorts of Bad Stuff(tm). 

This could be kept tight and lean; but if desired, it could easily stretch into a rather-large amount of gaming...

Pt.1 could include all manner of pre-existing factions, the Bad Guys(tm) might have diplomats of their own; or assassins, assigned to frame people & thus disrupt things, or other Covert Ops missions.  Kidnappings, politico-economics, etc etc etc.  Pt.2 could become a complex multi-battle mini-war across multiple theatres of operation -- "Forest Moon of Endor" scenes, cat-and-mouse games within asteroid-fields, inferior forces trying to deflect/delay/entrap/whatever a Superdreadnaught, vacc-suit combat, etc...

I think it would be a fair bit of work, but it might be very possible to set it up so that a group who Quickstart'ed could flow naturally into the full M-Space rules.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

The scenario sounds very good - but a tad long for a quickstart perhaps? As for me, I always find it difficult to write short scenarios, as the plot often takes on a life of its own, with layers upon layers upon layers - until I have an entire campaign. 

Using one single location tends to be a good starting point for me to keep a scenario reasonably short. The challenge lies in creating something interesting out of the few pieces available, for example with different factions competing for the same goal or a puzzle requiring out-of-the-box thinking. 

9 hours ago, clarence said:

Yes, that's perfect. Quickstart rules building on top of quickstart rules - quite a novel concept actually. 

And you're right, Extended Conflicts should probably be included too. 

I just wish I knew someone with a good eye for scenario writing Matt ; )

Buy me a drink, sailor...  PM me.

• Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

On 2017-03-31 at 9:04 PM, g33k said:

Offhand, I am thinking of a pt.1 / pt.2 adventure:  a small diplomatic mission (social conflicts, extended conflicts) that attempts to get a few isolated forces to unite in mutual defense; then a "downtime" where players get to advance their characters; followed by the starship-combat (and maybe vacc-suit and/or planetary combat) scenes, as the coalition then has to use their alliance to keep the Bad Guys (tm) from doing all sorts of Bad Stuff(tm). 

This could be kept tight and lean; but if desired, it could easily stretch into a rather-large amount of gaming...

Pt.1 could include all manner of pre-existing factions, the Bad Guys(tm) might have diplomats of their own; or assassins, assigned to frame people & thus disrupt things, or other Covert Ops missions.  Kidnappings, politico-economics, etc etc etc.  Pt.2 could become a complex multi-battle mini-war across multiple theatres of operation -- "Forest Moon of Endor" scenes, cat-and-mouse games within asteroid-fields, inferior forces trying to deflect/delay/entrap/whatever a Superdreadnaught, vacc-suit combat, etc...

@g33k I re-read your scenario idea and it has a nice Star Wars feeling. Any chance you will write it down?

• Like 1

Yes, I have decided to set up all PDF deliveries and updates through DTRPG. If all goes well, you will be notified that a new version is available. I'm not sure though if it's automatic, but I think it is. 

For those who got the PDF for free with the purchase of a book, I will send an email tomorrow with a download link (also DTRPG). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clarence said:

@g33k I re-read your scenario idea and it has a nice Star Wars feeling. Any chance you will write it down?

Thank you!  That's quite the compliment.  I certainly couldn't get to it immediately, but might be able to do so in a bit.

I was intentionally giving a nod to some Star Wars imagery, for sure (and other movies & ); but overall I was envisioning something more along the lines of some of the military/diplomatic sci-fi novels -- Weber's "Honor Harrington," Bujold's "Miles Vorkosigan," McCaffrey's "Sassinak," etc.

I'll think about the project, maybe PM you if I think I can make a go of it.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, clarence said:

Yes, I have decided to set up all PDF deliveries and updates through DTRPG. If all goes well, you will be notified that a new version is available. I'm not sure though if it's automatic, but I think it is. 

For those who got the PDF for free with the purchase of a book, I will send an email tomorrow with a download link (also DTRPG). 

It is automatic. A notification goes out when a new file is made available.

• Like 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

7 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

It is automatic. A notification goes out when a new file is made available.

There can be no doubt that the deities hate me. :(

I have been waiting for M-Space 1.1 and Reflux for such a long time, and now my internet provider will use April 4th for some major maintenance and the notification e-mail will not arrive here before April 5th. I am doomed. :angry:

Seriously, I can hardly wait to see especially Reflux. :D

• Like 1

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

1 hour ago, rust said:

I have been waiting for M-Space 1.1 and Reflux for such a long time, and now my internet provider will use April 4th for some major maintenance and the notification e-mail will not arrive here before April 5th. I am doomed. :angry:

They're upgrading their April Fools Delivery Mechanism.  They are delivering your prank on the 4th.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, rust said:

There can be no doubt that the deities hate me. :(

Seriously, I can hardly wait to see especially Reflux. :D

If you're lucky DTRPG will take all day to approve the REFLUX files : )

• Like 1

Hopefully it will be approved today. It can take another day or so, but they are usually very swift. I will post here when the file is online.

Or send me an email at clarence.redd@gmail.com and I will notify you by mail.