Any idea when the RQ Kickstarter will be?

Pentallion

I got some copper clacks ready now, so I hope it's not too far away. 

Only not this month, I just backed the Talislanta reboot :D

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

We have lots of news on that coming up. Just watch for the next RQ Design Note....

Could you please also give news on the last RQ Kickstarter? The completion date for that Kickstarter was 2016, yet 9 stretch-goal PDFs are yet to be delivered.

Requests for an update on that site has not been responded to so far this year. It would be good to complete that one before starting another.

• Like 1

I thought the RQ Classic KS was mainly for the RQ2 core book reprint to be out by 2016; and then KS backers at a certain tier received first dibs on the other RQ1 and RQ2 supplements reprints as they came out.

I don't think there was ever an ETA for those RQ2 supplement reprints; it was just that when they were published the RQ Classic KS backers would have them in their hands first.

From memory it was something like that.

I wouldn't mind if there was some KS overlap, as I really want to see the new RuneQuest sitting on the shelves as soon as possible. It sounds like it may be reasonably compatible with the RQ2 supplements, which means that there could be a mixed publishing schedule for RQ2 reprints and new RQ resources, and they would all be usable.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

1 hour ago, Mankcam said:

I don't think there was ever an ETA for those RQ2 supplement reprints; it was just that when they were published the RQ Classic KS backers would have them in their hands first.

On the Campaign Page each of the supplements have written under them: "We will print a softcover book and make it available for sale in 2016."

Even the #4 Update on Runemasters has: "The PDF will be available as an add-on for $5, ready for download as soon as the Kickstarter ends. We'll also print a softcover book and make it available for sale in 2016."

Edited by jongjom
Typos

3 hours ago, jongjom said:

Could you please also give news on the last RQ Kickstarter? The completion date for that Kickstarter was 2016, yet 9 stretch-goal PDFs are yet to be delivered.

Requests for an update on that site has not been responded to so far this year. It would be good to complete that one before starting another.

Despite the KS page not having recent responses, I *REALLY* want responses there, instead of here:  There are KS-backers not checking these forums, who won't see the info; and folks here not backing the KS, for whom the info is interesting-at-best...

And frankly, once it becomes a question of BRPCentral/G+/FB/wherever...  then how the <bleep> can the backers EVER be sure -- barring OCD levels of internet-completism -- that they are actually looking at the "latest" update???

KS is the place for KS-update info.

C'es ne pas un .sig

17 hours ago, jongjom said:

On the Campaign Page each of the supplements have written under them: "We will print a softcover book and make it available for sale in 2016."

Even the #4 Update on Runemasters has: "The PDF will be available as an add-on for $5, ready for download as soon as the Kickstarter ends. We'll also print a softcover book and make it available for sale in 2016."

Yep you are right, I stand corrected

On 4/3/2017 at 0:27 PM, Rick Meints said:

The update has been posted on Kickstarter.

:D  :D  :D

Many thanks!  I know I've previously griped about inadequate Updates, but props where props are due:  that's a proper Update, that is!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/224590870/runequest-classic-edition/posts/1849154

Edited by g33k
added link to Update

C'es ne pas un .sig

As for the RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha Kickstarter, we'll be making some announcements about it very soon.

Yes, that's the name for the new edition of RuneQuest. We've started referring to it is RQG for short.

• Like 10

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

4 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

As for the RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha Kickstarter, we'll be making some announcements about it very soon.

Yes, that's the name for the new edition of RuneQuest. We've started referring to it is RQG for short.

so, SO,  SO   jazzed!   Just SUaTMM ...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

'RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha'

Yep that name will look great on the cover, and RQG is a logical shorthand reference.

Good move

Looking forward to this the KS

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

And NO kickstarter!  Looking forward to simply getting the products.

The announcement is at  http://www.chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-13/   for those who haven't seen it.  I'm curious as to "why no KS" but I expect the explanation is probably the end-point of a LOT of Chaosium discussion / debate and may not be easily summarized (and may include confidentialities), so I expect my curiosity to go unsatisfied on this point.   :mellow:

I do confess to both curiosity and some disappointment that the Organized Play program will languish for so long... it appears to be the FOURTH iteration of publications:

1. Quickstart mid-June
  2. Main release (core, beastiary, GMscreenPack) by Christmas
  3. Scenario Collection, DMG-Glorantha
  4. Cults book, Hero book, DragonPass campaign, Organized Play

I suppose the Quickstart could be considered a portion of the OP program, but I'd have thought "initial release excitement" (specifically, coinciding with the Q1'18 target for FLGS presence) was the time to launch the main Organized Play program...  VERY puzzled by the choice to push it so far into the future!   :blink: ...  :angry:

C'es ne pas un .sig

We aren't doing a Kickstarter for the new RuneQuest because:

• Kickstarters take up a lot of resources to set up, run, and administer long term.
  • They end up costing us over 12% of the money raised, off the top.
  • Stretch goal "additional new content" often greatly delays the release of the product by many months.
  • Many game stores are reluctant to order Kickstarted product because they figure most people have already bought it.
  • The only way to keep shipping costs "reasonable" is to ship everything at once, so if you have a lot of rewards in the KS it ALL has to be done before anything ships.

In short, we found that we spend a lot of our time, more than anything else, focused on Kickstarter tasks at the cost of "making the game" tasks.

For unknown products we will still use Kickstarter, but for everything else we don't feel we need to. Kickstarter is a wonderful marketing tool. It has many benefits and advantages. That doesn't mean it's right for every product we produce.

As for being "puzzled by the organized play choice", we will probably launch it early in 2018. Because it is #4 on the list doesn't make it a 2019 goal or something. As always, you are welcome to ask before assuming something negative. 

If we had Kickstarted the new RQ, the campaign wouldn't have probably launched until September at the earliest, and if there had been stretch goals with new contents the first books would probably not have come out until some time closer to the middle of 2018, pushing everything else further into 2018 with an OP campaign possibly not until the end of 2018 at the earliest. We prefer the new timeline. Three great RQG products out this year, followed by additional items every month or two after that. We know what each of the books is already, without stretch goal added content. To be clear, we are building an RQ product pipeline that will release 6 products per year, at a pace of a book every other month on average. Big gaps between new product coming out sap the momentum. Kickstarters make maintaining that momentum harder to do. 

• Like 11

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

We aren't doing a Kickstarter for the new RuneQuest because:

• Kickstarters take up a lot of resources to set up, run, and administer long term.
  • They end up costing us over 12% of the money raised, off the top.
  • Stretch goal "additional new content" often greatly delays the release of the product by many months.
  • Many game stores are reluctant to order Kickstarted product because they figure most people have already bought it.
  • The only way to keep shipping costs "reasonable" is to ship everything at once, so if you have a lot of rewards in the KS it ALL has to be done before anything ships.

In short, we found that we spend a lot of our time, more than anything else, focused on Kickstarter tasks at the cost of "making the game" tasks.

For unknown products we will still use Kickstarter, but for everything else we don't feel we need to. Kickstarter is a wonderful marketing tool. It has many benefits and advantages. That doesn't mean it's right for every product we produce.

If we had Kickstarted the new RQ, the campaign wouldn't have probably launched until September at the earliest, and if there had been stretch goals with new contents the first books would probably not have come out until some time closer to the middle of 2018, pushing everything else further into 2018 with an OP campaign possibly not until the end of 2018 at the earliest. We prefer the new timeline. Three great RQG products out this year, followed by additional items every month or two after that. We know what each of the books is already, without stretch goal added content. To be clear, we are building an RQ product pipeline that will release 6 products per year, at a pace of a book every other month on average. Big gaps between new product coming out sap the momentum. Kickstarters make maintaining that momentum harder to do. 

Wow; a WAY more comprehensive reply than I had expected.  Many thanks for the insights!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

As for being "puzzled by the organized play choice", we will probably launch it early in 2018. Because it is #4 on the list doesn't make it a 2019 goal or something. As always, you are welcome to ask before assuming something negative.

OK; apologies for assuming something that isn't so, and I am UTTERLY delighted to hear that you hope/intend to get the OP program launched earlier than later!

Also, I've got to acknowledge that the vagaries of production mean that predictions 6+ months in advance -- and several products' deep into the pipeline -- are very VERY speculative; so props to Chaosium for digging deep into those in-house speculations and coming forward with them for us out here in fandom to enjoy and obsess over.

But it honestly looks to me not like "assuming something negative," but just making explicit what Jeff had implied in that announcement.  Here is how I had understood it (using your own "about every 2 months" timeframe for releases); to be clear, YOU HAVE STATED THIS UNDERSTANDING IS INCORRECT, but I'm trying to find out where I went wrong:

• The core book / bestiary / GMpack arriving Q1'18
  • Then the Scenarios and the GM-book, which bumps production by +4 months.  Doesn't this fill out the RQG production plans roughly through Q2'18 ?
  • Then a list of 4 different products in that last line-item; that is +8 months' worth of production, filling Q3 & Q4 of '18 and likely stretching into Q1'19.

Now, I have NO complaints about that pace of release:  it's amazing, wonderful, impressive; and I'm thrilled with it!  But until your statement here, it really looked like the OP program was aimed at a later release, sometime in Q3'18 / Q4'18 / Q1'19... with the OP as 1 of 4 items in presumably no particular order, but not firmly-planned as first-up or it'd have been listed as a separate item.

I'm happy (VERY happy!) to learn that this understanding is incorrect.  But -- even reviewing the original announcement in light of your correction -- it still appears to me to be the most-likely way to interpret/understand the plans that Jeff enumerated.

Again, my apologies for what I've mistakenly assumed.  I'm trying to understand what Chaosium has announced; and I've laid out my thinking, above, to try to figure out where my understanding went astray, so I can (hopefully!) avoid this in the future...

Edited by g33k
clarity

C'es ne pas un .sig