RQG—New RuneQuest edition to be known as RUNEQUEST: ROLEPLAYING IN GLORANTHA

MOB

3 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Veldang: a blue-skinned race with no Earthly equivalent

Just to re-emphasize.

It's also worth noting that the four Gloranthan races are explicitly described as "Glorantha’s four major human racial types" (my emphasis).  Presumably, and in a similar manner to the Tribes of Prax, there are also many more minor types.

5 hours ago, waltshumate said:

Except that is explicitly ruled out 

"Three of Glorantha’s four major human racial types roughly correspond to Earthly equivalents, but the fourth is unique."

Ruled out?

• Agimori: a dark-skinned race  <- analogous to Earthly negroid
• Veldang: a blue-skinned race with no Earthly equivalent
• Vithelans: they resemble Earth’s East Asians.<- analogous to Earthly mongoloid
• Wareran: a fair to olive-skinned race <- analogous to Earthly caucasian

How do you get "there are no caucasians" out of that?

(conceding of course there really is no thing as 'race', but there are recognized general ethnicities: http://blog.world-mysteries.com/science/how-many-major-races-are-there-in-the-world/ )

10 hours ago, 21stCenturyMoose said:

Just to re-emphasize.

It's also worth noting that the four Gloranthan races are explicitly described as "Glorantha’s four major human racial types" (my emphasis).  Presumably, and in a similar manner to the Tribes of Prax, there are also many more minor types.

Hey everyone something weird is happening in this thread

Although I totally agree that the Veldang are the race with no earthly quivalent, I never posted that comment. It was posted by g33k, but when 21stCenturyMoose quoted g33k it shows up on my screen as quoting myself.

Something very weird here. Not just the odd comments from waltshumate about Warereran not equating to Caucasians, but something very odd, like we are being baited. Plus I get a warning from my PC that this page is a security risk, so I'm jumping out of here.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

13 hours ago, styopa said:

Ruled out?

• Agimori: a dark-skinned race  <- analogous to Earthly negroid
• Veldang: a blue-skinned race with no Earthly equivalent
• Vithelans: they resemble Earth’s East Asians.<- analogous to Earthly mongoloid
• Wareran: a fair to olive-skinned race <- analogous to Earthly caucasian

How do you get "there are no caucasians" out of that?

(conceding of course there really is no thing as 'race', but there are recognized general ethnicities: http://blog.world-mysteries.com/science/how-many-major-races-are-there-in-the-world/ )

Yeah failed my English roll there, but given Greg Stafford's comments and the differences in art between Sartar, Kingdom of Heroes/ Sartar Companion and The Coming Storm it is easy to see where this is going.

In the G2G the Orlanthi are described as being of Warereran ethnicity, with many having olive skin.

So I am assuming this means looking along the lines of Caucasians from Southern Europe, although there are bound to be regional differences here and there due to climate and other variables. 

The main issue is the cultural shift from the UK Celtic/Saxon analogies for the Orlanthi, to influences from Central and Southern Europe down to the Mediterranean. This formally occurred a few years ago now upon the release of the G2G. However the Orlanthi remain Wareran in ethnicity, and thus look similar to Caucasians. Many Southern Europeans have olive-skin, which doesn't make them less Caucasian than pale-skinned Northerners from the colder climes. 

Of course, Australians are rumoured to have blue skin like the Veldang. Something to do with the Pacific and Indian Oceans converging. 

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

9 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Hey everyone something weird is happening in this thread

... I never posted that comment. It was posted by g33k, but when 21stCenturyMoose quoted g33k it shows up on my screen as quoting myself.

Something very weird here. Not just the odd comments from waltshumate about Warereran not equating to Caucasians, but something very odd, like we are being baited. Plus I get a warning from my PC that this page is a security risk, so I'm jumping out of here.

Yes, I see the same misquotation.

FWIW, I myself have been noticing the confusion that arises from the loss-of-thread-context here.

If "A" quotes "B" and then "C" quotes the "A+B" thread, only the "B" portion shows:  in general, all prior threading/context is auto-snipp'ed.  Now, sometimes that's a GOOD thing (I'm sure we're all familiar with the phenomenon of 10-ply-nested thread-quotes followed by the single line of content).  But sometimes the loss of context really increases the confusion.

C'es ne pas un .sig

The Orlanthi tend to have olive skin like Mediterraneans, Near Easterners, or South Asians, but brown or reddish hair is common. I know the QS cover has lighter skin than that, but the pregen illustrations are more olive-skinned. Pelorians often have more gold in their skin and hair.

The Orlanthi, Pelorians, Westerners (but according to some not the Brithini, Vadeli, or Waertagi), Umathelans, and many Praxians and Pentans are what the God Learners categorized as Warerans, which (according to God Learner theory) are thought to be those descendants of Grandfather Mortal who settled in the Kingdom of Brilliance, before subdividing further. Seeking a Runic basis for everything, they were thought to be the burtae of principally Earth and Fire gods (especially Air gods- which are the burtae of Earth AND Fire) combined with the Man Rune.

The Lhankor Mhy cult sometimes pays lip-service to this theory, but more often ignores it completely, the current tribal gods of a people being seen as more significant than some theory about their runic origins. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, g33k said:

!???

*#&^^@

:angry:

The Morokanth "vegetarian scandal" springs to mind ...

The Morokanth are primarily plant-eaters, but they do supplement their diet with herd-men (primarily as part of religious festivals) - which is consistent with the description of Borderlands. Unlike other herd beasts, herd-men are used by the morokanth to gather foodstuffs for their masters - their flesh and milk is nowhere near as important to the herd-man as to other tribes. A great irony is that it is more likely that the other Praxian tribes will eat a captured herd-man than the morokanth (who find the herd-man's gathering skills much more useful than the other nomads do).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeff said:

The Morokanth are primarily plant-eaters

This is propaganda of Praxian Humans who want to deny our deserved place in the Covenant and pretend us to have cheated ! The next one who pretends that we are veggies like herd beasts will be turned into a herdman and devoured on the spot !

[Isn't it indeed a break of the canon's claimed neutrality and relativity ?]

• Like 4

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

On 4/11/2017 at 2:52 PM, waltshumate said:

Except that is explicitly ruled out 

"Three of Glorantha’s four major human racial types roughly correspond to Earthly equivalents, but the fourth is unique."

I would guess that the Blue-Skinned Veldang are the one that is unique, meaning that the Wareran is similar to Earth-humans.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 4/13/2017 at 2:30 AM, Zit said:

This is propaganda of Praxian Humans who want to deny our deserved place in the Covenant and pretend us to have cheated ! The next one who pretends that we are veggies like herd beasts will be turned into a herdman and devoured on the spot !

At least in Glorantha everyone knows to blame Eurmal for "fake news".

• Like 2

On 4/13/2017 at 5:30 PM, Zit said:

Although all the evidence is against them, the Morokanth do assert it was the humans that cheated, not them.

7 hours ago, styopa said:

At least in Glorantha everyone knows to blame Eurmal for "fake news".

How can you say that?  There really were weapons of mass destruction in Prax and the Morokanth get gas frequently. 

Oh, and in other news, Yelm is not rising tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pentallion said:

How can you say that?  There really were weapons of mass destruction in Prax ... 

Well... YEAH.

You have a point?  I mean, there are weapons of mass destruction EVERYWHERE in Glorantha.  'Cos there's just THAT much magic...

Edited by g33k
trimmed quote

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Well... YEAH.

You have a point?  I mean, there are weapons of mass destruction EVERYWHERE in Glorantha.  'Cos there's just THAT much magic...

Yeah, a bunch of cultists hold mass, and it leads to destruction. That's what White Bear and Read Moon was all about.:P

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.