RQG—New RuneQuest edition to be known as RUNEQUEST: ROLEPLAYING IN GLORANTHA

MOB

1 hour ago, jongjom said:

At some stage the RQ3 scenarios might be converted to RQG and used as a bridging group of adventures between RQ2 and RQG? 

Not sure if that was in the original plans!

Yes, there was some good material written in the RuneQuest renaissance in the early nineties. Very talented writers. 

I wonder how the sorcerer in strangers in Prax would play out in the new RQG?....though of course new material should be the priority 

6 minutes ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Yes, there was some good material written in the RuneQuest renaissance in the early nineties. Very talented writers. 

I wonder how the sorcerer in strangers in Prax would play out in the new RQG?....though of course new material should be the priority 

Unfortunately as far as I understand we're only really going to see sort of the red-headed stepchild of sorcery, as the only reason it's being included in this set is because with the latest imagining it's been determined that Lhankor Mhy folks use sorcery.*  

I'm glad we're going to get a PEEK at the sorcery mechanics, but I can't imagine it's going to be fleshed out much.

*a sort of Morokanth-moment for sorcery, if you will...

5 hours ago, waltshumate said:

Isn't she the wrong skin tone too since there are no white humans in Glorantha.

Dunno, I'd be surprised if there weren't though. Tekumel - yes, no fair skins there except for the Yeleth (androids)

Edited by d(sqrt(-1))

Always start what you finish.

20 hours ago, styopa said:

Not to mention the fact that CoP, CoT covered 23 deities in total.

GoG covered 60+ and alluded to what, another 20?  Maybe more in the prospaedia? It's a little harsh to say that a work like that didn't cover them as comprehensively as CoP/CoT when (to do so) would have made it a 300-page tome.

Hell, there were those of us reasonably involved in the Gloranthan community at the time who learned a TON from that publication about gods we'd never even heard of.

PERSONALLY, I think the "official" opinion on AH's tenure is pretty unfair but that's water under the bridge.

The future of RQ is RQG, and we're all healthier and happier looking forward to that, and a general RQ rennaissance under its banner.   Then we all win.

I would agree - we had loads of fun with Gods of Glorantha (I did have CoP and CoT though at the time).

5 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

If you compare with the final layout on the warm grey, instead of white background, the outfit doesn't look as gleaming white as before. The greys in the white are accentuated by the grey background.  Also there have been some nice subtle adjustments to some of the tones in the armour a slight cooling of colour, and change of contrast. Could be a trick of the eye, but it works very well I think. 

Ok, I guess I can wait to see the final thing - I still think she should have some scars, broken teeth or the like though!

14 hours ago, waltshumate said:

Isn't she the wrong skin tone too since there are no white humans in Glorantha.

You may be right, as it is likely that she's an Orlanthi, probably a Vingan.

The Theyalans were from the Wareran race, which equates broadly to Caucasian/European.

In the G2G it describes many Orlanthi as having olive skin and dark hair, so I suppose this could be consistent with real world caucasian peoples from the Mediterrean.

This would certainly fit Esrolia and Heortland, as well as Prax, although I would envision Sartarites being a bit more pale, given that many clans live in the ranges.

In the RW, stereotypically the Europeans north of the Alps are generally much more pale in complexion, so perhaps her background hales from Sartar or somewhere with altitudes like that. 

(Excuse my gross generalisations and stereotyping - there is no offense intended)

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

6 hours ago, jongjom said:

At some stage the RQ3 scenarios might be converted to RQG and used as a bridging group of adventures between RQ2 and RQG? 

Not sure if that was in the original plans!

We have discussed eventually releasing a number of RQ3 supplements as RuneQuest Classics. Not currently on the schedule though, need to get the RQ2 Classics done first.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

40 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

We have discussed eventually releasing a number of RQ3 supplements as RuneQuest Classics. Not currently on the schedule though, need to get the RQ2 Classics done first.

This is encouraging news!  But... "eventually" = "no firm plans" is that correct?

That is to say:  Likely enough (eventually) but uncertain whether it would come out in a format more like the MoonDesign "RQ Classics" vols I-IV, or like the Kickstarter'ed "RQClassic" stretch goals, or as fully-updated-to-RQG revisions, or something else again.  And no single title -- or any RQ3 content -- is actually "certain" (as much as anything that far out ever is) to be re-released.

Or have I over-interpreted your remarks?

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 minutes ago, g33k said:

This is encouraging news!  But... "eventually" = "no firm plans" is that correct?

That is to say:  Likely enough (eventually) but uncertain whether it would come out in a format more like the MoonDesign "RQ Classics" vols I-IV, or like the Kickstarter'ed "RQClassic" stretch goals, or as fully-updated-to-RQG revisions, or something else again.  And no single title -- or any RQ3 content -- is actually "certain" (as much as anything that far out ever is) to be re-released.

Or have I over-interpreted your remarks?

When I said "not currently on the schedule", I thought that would be read as "RQ3 reprints are not currently on the production schedule", as in "no firm plans".

When I said "releasing a number of RQ3 supplements as RuneQuest Classics" I thought that would be read as "RuneQuest Classics", which means straight reprints in a slightly updated layout. I tried to not refer to them as being done as Gloranthan Classics or RQG revisions.

Why are we NOT going to be doing any more "Gloranthan Classics"?
Moon Design style "Gloranthan Classics" involved a lot of new art, and a lot of "compiling" for some of the volumes. Some people loved that, and some people didn't care for it. Thus, we now simply do straight reprints of single books, with no new art, etc. which we refer to as RuneQuest Classics.

Why reprint some RQ3 scenario material as "RuneQuest Classics"?
Because that is much easier and faster to do. RuneQuest Classics do not require any new art, nor do they require a full color layout, any updating of material etc. They are largely easy to use with the new edition of RuneQuest as is, with minimal conversion.

Lastly, a lot of people really didn't like the delays on "new" material for RQ3 while AH focused on slightly revised versions of things like Apple Lane, Snake Pipe Hollow, Troll Pak, and such. The cool thing with doing RuneQuest Classics reprints is that they do not require anything from the authors and artists of the new RuneQuest material. While they work on new stuff, we have other people (recently added to the team) that work on the Classic reprints.

• Like 5

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

18 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

When I said "not currently on the schedule", I thought that would be read as "RQ3 reprints are not currently on the production schedule", as in "no firm plans".

When I said "releasing a number of RQ3 supplements as RuneQuest Classics" I thought that would be read as "RuneQuest Classics", which means straight reprints in a slightly updated layout. I tried to not refer to them as being done as Gloranthan Classics or RQG revisions.

Because that is much easier and faster to do. RuneQuest Classics do not require any new art, nor do they require a full color layout, any updating of material etc. They are largely easy to use with the new edition of RuneQuest as is, with minimal conversion.

Excellently clear -- thank you!

FWIW, I haven't previously realized how Chaosium envisions the "RuneQuest Classics" as an ongoing line, instead of just a specific KS project + StretchGoals.  Maybe I just missed that as an announcement, or it's a new vision (without any firm product to "announce") out of the recent "Chaosium Summit", etc ...

30 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Why are we NOT going to be doing any more "Gloranthan Classics"?
Moon Design style "Gloranthan Classics" involved a lot of new art, and a lot of "compiling" for some of the volumes. Some people loved that, and some people didn't care for it. Thus, we now simply do straight reprints of single books, with no new art, etc. which we refer to as RuneQuest Classics.

Let me just speak up as one of those who loved the MD-style "Gloranthan Classics," a very clever notion, invaluable in keeping-the-flame, and very nicely executed to boot!  I can appreciate that not everyone loved 'em so you have to re-prioritize away from that.  But CoP+CoT+sundry cults gathered from other sources = fan-Fing-tastic!  So even though they've been supplanted:  Huzzah! to you, for those !

37 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Lastly, a lot of people really didn't like the delays on "new" material for RQ3 while AH focused on slightly revised versions of things like Apple Lane, Snake Pipe Hollow, Troll Pak, and such. The cool thing with doing RuneQuest Classics reprints is that they do not require anything from the authors and artists of the new RuneQuest material. While they work on new stuff, we have other people (recently added to the team) that work on the Classic reprints.

Equally, I can understand fans' grumbling over a release-schedule dominated by minor-revision re-releases, instead of new content.  I expect I'd grumble similarly (though I had no RQ group in that era and was only looking wistfully in from the outside, occasionally).  Your new strategy?  Authors on the new stuff and layout/edit workers on "Classics" reprints... this is just a best-of-all-worlds version of Glorantha, man!

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

Despite preferring the RQ2 products, I probably played RQ3 more than any other edition of RQ. Well in more recent times I used a mix of RQ3 and BGB.

However I can't see the point of doing direct reprints of RQ3 supplements at this stage as the stat blocks will be slightly different.

As Jeff mentioned earlier in this thread that the degree of compability between RQ2 and RQG will be high. So I assume that the RQG stat blocks will be basically RQ2 stat blocks (+ a few new add-ons). So I am also assuming that the RQ2 material will be able to be played with the RQ Classic rulebook (RQ2 reprint), as well as being easily used with the new RQG rules.

RQ3 deviates slightly from RQ2 with things like armour values, hit point values etc, so it doesnt make sense to reprint something that isnt going to be directly compatible with RQ2 and RQG.

AFAIK the core rulebooks will be 'RQ Classic' and 'RQG'; each with its own line, but with a high degree of cross-compatibility due to the stat block similarity. Well that's how I assume it goes.

Of course all BRP is more-or-less compatible, but it sounds like the stat block compatibility between RQ2 and RQG will be the strongest.

Now I could see the merit of some of the content information from the RQ3 supplements finding its way into RQG products, as well as porting some of the more popular RQ3 scenarios across using the RQG stat blocks. It would be great to see titles like Sun Country, Shadows Of The Borderlands, and Dorastor revamped for RQG!

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

9 hours ago, d(sqrt(-1)) said:

Ok, I guess I can wait to see the final thing - I still think she should have some scars, broken teeth or the like though!

58ec4aea05c1a_ScreenShot2017-04-11at1_17_06pm.png.fd2978974b03a7d22fad8eb08095506c.png

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Now I could see the merit of some of the content information from the RQ3 supplements finding its way into RQG products, as well as porting some of the more popular RQ3 scenarios across using the RQG stat blocks. It would be great to see titles like Sun Country, Shadows Of The Borderlands, and Dorastor revamped for RQG!

Sounds like a job for Kickstarter! But not just yet...

13 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

If you do reprint River of cradles, please make sure to add the description for the mudsharks! I know what they are now, but at the time I reread and reread that book to try &  find the description in vain :) 

16 hours ago, Mankcam said:

You may be right, as it is likely that she's an Orlanthi, probably a Vingan.

The Theyalans were from the Wareran race, which equates broadly to Caucasian/European.

In the G2G it describes many Orlanthi as having olive skin and dark hair, so I suppose this could be consistent with real world caucasian peoples from the Mediterrean.

This would certainly fit Esrolia and Heortland, as well as Prax, although I would envision Sartarites being a bit more pale, given that many clans live in the ranges.

In the RW, stereotypically the Europeans north of the Alps are generally much more pale in complexion, so perhaps her background hales from Sartar or somewhere with altitudes like that. 

(Excuse my gross generalisations and stereotyping - there is no offense intended)

There are no races in Glorantha that equate to Caucasian. From G2G

Three of Glorantha’s four major human racial
types roughly correspond to Earthly equivalents, but
the fourth is unique.
• Agimori: a dark-skinned race native to Pamaltela.
• Veldang: a blue-skinned race with no Earthly
equivalent. Their skin is not bright blue, but slate
colored. The Veldang are native to Pamaltela,
where they are found in Zamokil and Fonrit.
• Vithelans: they resemble Earth’s East Asians.
They inhabit the East Isles, Kralorela, Teshnos,
and Vormain.
• Wareran: a fair to olive-skinned race that inhabit
most of Genertela, and Umathela in Pamaltela.

3 minutes ago, waltshumate said:

uuuhh ... ?

This would appear to (roughly) be Caucasoid.  "Fair" (i.e. northern-European) to "olive" (i.e. mediterranean) skinned is the normal skin-tone range.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 minutes ago, g33k said:

uuuhh ... ?

This would appear to (roughly) be Caucasoid.  "Fair" (i.e. northern-European) to "olive" (i.e. mediterranean) skinned is the normal skin-tone range.

Except that is explicitly ruled out 

"Three of Glorantha’s four major human racial types roughly correspond to Earthly equivalents, but the fourth is unique."

Edited by waltshumate

24 minutes ago, g33k said:
30 minutes ago, waltshumate said:

uuuhh ... ?

Olive goes all the way to Pashtun or Indian dark skin tones, as does the variation in Orlanthi. Solar types appear as extremely tanned Europeans with surprisingly golden hair and beards, while certain Darkness folk like Spolites have really pale skin (and dark hair). Even the Praxian tribes (at least the ordinary-sized ones - Bison, High Llama and Sable) count as Warerans.

Note that the real warerans - the descendants of ancient Danmalastan - come in color coded castes, with golden-skinned rulers, red-skinned warriors, blue-skinned sorcerers and brown-skinned farmers, Women used to be blue-skinned in the early generations of Brithos, but the constant interbreeding with the other castes has created a predominance of fairer skin tones as the blue counteracts influences of red, gold, or brown to some extent. The Malkioni who bred back with their sea kin ended up with blueish green skin and/or the Innsmouth look.

In Old Seshnela, the Pendali tribe of the Basmoli (check Prax for their appearance) had intermarried with the Likiti earth population when Froalar established his colonies of no longer immortal Brithini exiles. Under the Serpent Kings, several tribes of the Pendali/Likiti descendants intermarried with the Malkioni. The result were rather pale-skinned folk with middle-brown to dark hair.

These folk conquered the Enerali tribes and other Beastfolk descendants of the Tanier Valley and deeper Ralios, and vice versa, on occasion. Modern Seshnela is really Tanisor. Fronela and northern Ralios have survivors of the Kachasti tribe of Danmalastan (presumably originally as color-coded as their Brithini cousins) mingling with the Darkness survivors of beast tribes and disbanded Storm Barbarian clans.

Most Ralians can claim some Theyalan ancestry, since the Lightbringer missionaries usually married into the tribes they awakened.

Storm Age Orlanthi included the blue-skinned Helerings as well as the orange- or brown-skinned Durevings and Vingkotlings. All of these were Wareran types in terms of physiognomy if not in skin coloration or hair color.

I blame the influence of blue-skinned ancestors (and in the west, ancestresses) for pale skin among the Warerans.

7 minutes ago, waltshumate said:

"Three of Glorantha’s four major human racial types roughly correspond to Earthly equivalents, but the fourth is unique."

The slate-blue-skinned Veldang are the unique exception, not the caucasoid (regardless of skin coloration) Warerans.

Note that intermarriages of Veldang-race folk with others creates bluish-tainted or paler skin both with Agimori and with Eastern racial types, and we learn about various blue-skinned invaders all the way up the Janube River up to Lake Oronin, so pale skin there may be a result of Veldang racial influence, too.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

49 minutes ago, waltshumate said:

Three of Glorantha’s four major human racial
types roughly correspond to Earthly equivalents, but
the fourth is unique.
• Agimori: a dark-skinned race native to Pamaltela.
• Veldang: a blue-skinned race with no Earthly
equivalent. Their skin is not bright blue, but slate
colored. The Veldang are native to Pamaltela,
where they are found in Zamokil and Fonrit.
• Vithelans: they resemble Earth’s East Asians.
They inhabit the East Isles, Kralorela, Teshnos,
and Vormain.

Wareran = Caucasian (or close enough).

Fair skin would be broadly consistent with Northern Europeans, and olive skin would be more consistent with Southern Europeans.

I think that is pretty clear

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, waltshumate said:

It is the Veldang that are "unique" -- called out in their description as non-Earthly.  The others ARE roughly similar to real-world ethnic groups...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig