Solo Gaming with Mythras & M-SPACE

clarence

There are several new blog posts where UbiquitousRat describes how he's using M-SPACE and Mythras Imperative for a solo campaign. The setting is called Serene Dawn and sounds very interesting.

Check it out here: http://ubiquitousrat.net/

As I'm a big fan of solo gaming myself, it's nice to see M-SPACE being used for it. 

• Like 3

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

I believe that's a good way to learn a new system. You can take the time you need to check the rules without getting stressed and still run a real session.

Have you decided what solo engine to use? I haven't tried the one UbiquitousRat uses, but it looks promising. So far I've been using Mythic GM Emulator and it's been very good - much better actually than I ever thought possible with a solo game. A story that writes itself on the fly might sound too good to be true, but it is really easy to get going : ) Highly recommended.

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

I am sometimes unfaithful to M-Space (:() and use the Cepheus Engine roleplaying system, basically an open content version of Traveller, Zozer Games has published a very useful solo gaming supplement for the Cepheus Engine, aptly named Solo. Many of that supplement's ideas could probably be used for M-Space, too, although I have not yet tried to do it.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

12 hours ago, clarence said:

I believe that's a good way to learn a new system. You can take the time you need to check the rules without getting stressed and still run a real session.

Have you decided what solo engine to use? I haven't tried the one UbiquitousRat uses, but it looks promising. So far I've been using Mythic GM Emulator and it's been very good - much better actually than I ever thought possible with a solo game. A story that writes itself on the fly might sound too good to be true, but it is really easy to get going : ) Highly recommended.

I've done solo gaming using Stars Without Number's Stellar Heroes and Tiny Solitary Soldiers's rules for solo gaming, along with Tangent Zero's Dice for ideas. It was fun and I enjoyed it a lot. I thought about getting Solo as above, but it's more geared toward fortune in the middle, where I prefer fortune at the end style.

Sadly, I'll probably have to do more solo gaming since my laptop died and with it, my notes for this Sunday's M Space game died with it. Hundreds of planets and celestial bodies gone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Opiyel said:

Sadly, I'll probably have to do more solo gaming since my laptop died and with it, my notes for this Sunday's M Space game died with it. Hundreds of planets and celestial bodies gone.

Oh, that's awful news. Sorry to hear that your universe died.

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.

My laptop crashed when I was almost finished with REFLUX a few weeks ago. Quite scary. Fortunately the HDD was ok, so I just took it out and hooked it up to my new computer. Worked like a charm. 

Tiny Solitary Soldiers sounds interesting. A bit quicker than Mythic, right? Did anyone try Covetous Poet? It seems to be quite popular. 

Link: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/129909

And here's a version of Mythic that works on a smartphone:

http://solorpggamer.blogspot.se/2012/04/member-from-mythic-yahoo-group-created.html?m=1

Very handy. You must have a working knowledge of the rules to use it though. 

34 minutes ago, clarence said:

My laptop crashed when I was almost finished with REFLUX a few weeks ago. Quite scary. Fortunately the HDD was ok, so I just took it out and hooked it up to my new computer. Worked like a charm. 

Let me just point to free cloud for stuff like this ... Dropbox, Google Drive, etc ...

Easy to set up, free, and gives you that necessary backup for a few critical things.  Also very nice for collaborations, via a cloud-shared folder...

(note that they will all try to upsell you to their premium/paid version, but that's often not needed.  You can get each one for free, check out the different strengths/weaknesses of each before settling to one, and THEN consider if the paid upgrade gives you anything more that you want ... )

Edited by g33k
trimmed quote, added advert-caution
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Let me just point to free cloud for stuff like this ... Dropbox, Google Drive, etc ...

Easy to set up, free, and gives you that necessary backup for a few critical things.  Also very nice for collaborations, via a cloud-shared folder...

(note that they will all try to upsell you to their premium/paid version, but that's often not needed.  You can get each one for free, check out the different strengths/weaknesses of each before settling to one, and THEN consider if the paid upgrade gives you anything more that you want ... )

Yeah, I really should have done that with the XMind files I lost. Luckily, all of my Evernote stuff was on its cloud and got saved. The goods news is that my girlfriend was able to get into the fried hard drive and recover just about everything. Just have to wait a bit, but all of my maps and XMind files I stored will be back.

1 hour ago, clarence said:

Tiny Solitary Soldiers sounds interesting. A bit quicker than Mythic, right? Did anyone try Covetous Poet? It seems to be quite popular. 

Link: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/129909

TSS is nice because it is simple Yes or No questions with no looking at tables. Much faster than Mythic. I pair it with Tangent Zero's dice roller that act as Rory's Story Cubes so you can get inspiration on what is going on. 

I'd like to try the sci fi deck that Ubiquitous Rat uses. Looks to be really handy.

• Like 2

I tried the sci-fi deck very shortly some time ago. It worked very well, but I found the cards containing a bit too much information. If I didn't like the outcome of one little corner, my eyes started looking for alternatives... It ended with me cheating : ) But that's just me. 

Good to hear your campaign survived the crash, Opiyel. 

On 4/9/2017 at 3:56 PM, Alex Greene said:

Have the Powers That Be considered retooling something like Mythras Imperative into a solo game system? A future project to consider.

No we haven't - and probably aren't likely to as a project we initiate ourselves. If a very strong and credible proposal crossed our desks, it would be given the same consideration as anything else, but we don't see this as a burning gap in our product line.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png