BRP in the Ennies?

Guest Vile Traveller

I don't know about any others, but Mongoose Traveller came out in 2008 and it's nominated for Best Product of the Year. I hope BRP didn't get shorted some how, it definitely deserves a nomination. Maybe the cut off is some time during the current year and BRP didn't make the cut for 08.

The ENnies entry period runs from June through May*, so only products released before the end of May this year are eligible. BRP will be eligible for competition next year, but like Jason said, Chaosium would have to submit it for it to be eligible.

I certainly hope they do, I'm a big fan, and I'm running for judge in next year's awards. I was a judge in 2007, so I can't speak toward this year's entries, but if anyone has questions about the process I'd be glad to answer them.

* The Ennies accept entries through May to have the most recent games possible available at the awards, but they have to end it early enough for the judges to give last minute entries full consideration.

Ah... I did a little reading, and it looks like the publishers have to submit their product for contention. Chaosium didn't, so therefore it's not on the ballot.

I am looking forward to seeing you at the podium making a drunken, slurring speech thanking Charlie, Dustin, and all the little people. Plus the part about how people really, really, really liked you. Followed by the reading of a poem you composed for the occasion.

Shall we write to Chaosium through dustin at chaosium.com ?

Edited by FunGuyFromYuggoth

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

I am looking forward to seeing you at the podium making a drunken, slurring speech thanking Charlie, Dustin, and all the little people. Plus the part about how people really, really, really liked you. Followed by the reading of a poem you composed for the occasion.

That's a pretty good idea!

It's either that or paraphrasing Johnny Rotten's letter to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, or sending Sacheen Littlefeather.

Seriously, though, as cool as seeing BRP win a Best RPG Ennie award would be, though, there is zero chance of it happening in the same period the new edition of D&D came out, especially given the Ennies' predisposition towards d20.

Mark my words, next year's Ennies will be a huge 4E love-in.

That's a pretty good idea!

It's either that or paraphrasing Johnny Rotten's letter to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, or sending Sacheen Littlefeather.

Seriously, though, as cool as seeing BRP win a Best RPG Ennie award would be, though, there is zero chance of it happening in the same period the new edition of D&D came out, especially given the Ennies' predisposition towards d20.

Mark my words, next year's Ennies will be a huge 4E love-in.

For what it's worth, Best Game and Best d20 are separate categories, and I'm not entirely certain that D&D will be eligible for the same category as BRP.

Also, the judges are recruited from a variety of places, not just ENWorld. When I was a judge I came from RPGnet, and I think that on my year at least we had a good selection of non-d20 stuff.

Still, I can understand the concern. While the nominees are selected by judges who review all the material, it's up to a fan vote to see who wins, and WotC has an aweful lot of strength in that category. I think this year might be a decent gauge of how that translates into actual awards, with Star Wars Saga in the running, but I think mostly we'll just have to wait and see.

Still, I'd hate to see BRP not get some of the recognition it derves. It's extremely well done.

Seriously, though, as cool as seeing BRP win a Best RPG Ennie award would be, though, there is zero chance of it happening in the same period the new edition of D&D came out, especially given the Ennies' predisposition towards d20. Mark my words, next year's Ennies will be a huge 4E love-in

I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

<Force chokes....> :eek:

Oh sorry, I like your work. My bad. :innocent:

It deserves a nomination and a win.

Edited by FunGuyFromYuggoth

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

I am quite pleased that BRP is not among the 2008 nominees, because I

would have found it very difficult to vote for either BRP or Traveller.

Besides, if BRP should be a nominee in 2009, there is a chance that it has

become somewhat more well-known, and that there are some settings and

supplements making playing BRP even more attractive.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I am quite pleased that BRP is not among the 2008 nominees, because I

would have found it very difficult to vote for either BRP or Traveller.

Besides, if BRP should be a nominee in 2009, there is a chance that it has

become somewhat more well-known, and that there are some settings and

supplements making playing BRP even more attractive.

Whats makes Mongoose Traveller that great that its for you on par with BRP? Given, I browsed only through it, but found nothing exciting in this book.

-rules - well...rather lame compared to BRP

-background -nice and ok, but nothing I had not seen in other supplements

-artwork - from medium to outright bad

So whats so special about MonTrav IYO?

So whats so special about MonTrav IYO?

First, the lifepath character generation system, which enables one to create

a character with a colourful background history based on his career(s).

Second, the world building system, which enables one to create a science

fiction background, from the sector of space down to the society of a pla-

net, without any need for a calculator.

Third, the animal generation system, which makes it possible to create any

number of animals of various types, based on the ecology they are a part

of.

Fourth ... starships ...

Basically, Mongoose Traveller does what Classic Traveller did, but it does it

with more detail and less contradictions and omissions. This makes it an ex-

cellent core rulebook for a science fiction RPG, and since it is a generic sy-

stem, one can use it for almost every possible kind of science fiction setting.

I consider it a very good science fiction supplement for BRP, at least until

there is a BRP SF one, because it contains all the basic rules systems requi-

red for science fiction, and they can easily be adapted for use with BRP.

At least that is my opinion ... :)

(Charlie Chan)

Ok. thanks for your answer. It seems that its not my thing. For SF, Star Wars and traveller I use only BRP or Savage World (if it is a pulpier game) and I never like Traveller rules that much in any incarnation. Even 20 years before I used a homebrew variation of RQ2 for my first traveller game because I could not stand the rules as written in the LBBs.

Glad you like it. Maybe I should browse through the book a second time.

For SF, Star Wars and traveller I use only BRP or Savage World (if it is a pulpier game) and I never like Traveller rules that much in any incarnation.

The same with me, I also never used the Traveller rules for roleplaying, only

for world building, designing equipment, and so on. For the actual game I

only use BRP (and, before that, Cthulhu Rising rules).

(Charlie Chan)

The same with me, I also never used the Traveller rules for roleplaying, only

for world building, designing equipment, and so on. For the actual game I

only use BRP (and, before that, Cthulhu Rising rules).

If only more people knew about the sheer translation capacity of BRP...

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

If only more people knew about the sheer translation capacity of BRP...

People do. But its not the only game with that feature, and if you don't like various elements (the linearity of resolution, the attribute set, the way armor is handled) that isn't going to impress them much; they'll just use another generalized core system that suits them better.