BRP in the Ennies?

Guest Vile Traveller

I think the biggest problem for many potential roleplayers who know BRP but dont use it, is the sheer lethality of BRP. Many dont like that receiving 1 or 2 hits with a weapon can be the end for their "hero".

So a game strongly focused on combat is not as easily possible as in other more forgiving rule systems.

I think the biggest problem for many potential roleplayers who know BRP but dont use it, is the sheer lethality of BRP. Many dont like that receiving 1 or 2 hits with a weapon can be the end for their "hero".

So a game strongly focused on combat is not as easily possible as in other more forgiving rule systems.

Well, yes and no; I wouldn't say our RQ games years ago weren't pretty strongly focused on combat; but the presence of common healing magic (everyone pretty much had at least a Heal 2 after a while) and at least the possibility of resurrection with Divine Intervention and as of RQ3 the Resurrection spell buffered things a bit, and past that we were just accepting that characters would sometimes die. But the rate of the latter still was likely too high for some people.

• 3 weeks later...

For all who are interested the voting booth for next year's judges (those who would decide whether or not to nominate games like BRP should they be entered) is now open.

For my part, my name is Jeramy Ware. I was a judge in 2007, and I've been nominated again this year. The voting margin is narrow, so every vote counts and is much appreciated. If anyone who wants to see the work I that I did last time you can pop over to Blogging the ENnies where I blogged the whole process to see how I do it.

Voting will only take 2 or 3 seconds. Go to the page, stick a 1 beside the judge of your choice, maybe go through and rank others you like, hit select, and you're done. If you're interested in the awards at all please take a second to vote.

The voting booth can be found here: The ENnie Awards - Voting Page

Thanks in advance for any support,

Jeramy

Maybe we are just odd, but the lethality was actually a selling point of the game for my group. I guess we just like a challenge.