Corum RPG for Sale

Would anyone be interested in the Corum: Heroic Adventures Across the World of the Five Planes. It is Stormbringer/Elric supplement.

I have a NM/Excellent copy of the book I could sell for $100+ shipping.

Should I auction it or would someone like to buy it outright?

I am not sure it has ever been opened. I bought a second one on accident.

Hit me up if you are interested.

corum.jpg

$100 USD is close to about $115 AUD + weighty international shipping costs - just getting a bit too pricey for the likes of myself for a paperback book that would be getting close to 20 years of age. Although I expect it probably now goes for prices similar to that on Amazon or eBay, especially if sealed.

I do remember seeing it in the shops years ago, and it did looked like a great book to have. Love that cover

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

This is a Stormbringer/Elric! spin-off. It was in print for such a short time. I think it was already gone when I found out about it from Chaot (with another name on another forum) and managed to buy my copy from the author, Liam Rout. It is a lovely book with many ideas that I've always thought I would use -- but haven't. I quite enjoyed the Corum books when I read them years ago, but they weren't my favourite Moorcock books. Reading this RPG book made me want to like the source material more than I did. (Sigh like the Vadagh for the passing of a better age).

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thot said:

Was any of the stuff in it republished, for example in a Magic World supplement or the BGB?

No, not to my knowledge. I've read the Corum supplement, and the BGB, and there was nothing in there replicated in Magic World, or the BGB. 

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

16 hours ago, Thot said:

Was any of the stuff in it republished, for example in a Magic World supplement or the BGB?

Corum was created and published under license by Darcsyde, so the copyright of the material does not belong to Chaosium. I don't recall if it was ever even on the list of possible sources for material for inclusion in Advanced Sorcery because of that.

Cheers,

Nick

1 hour ago, Thot said:

Hm. So, can anybody describe what makes its (non-setting-specific) content... unique?

Magic systems. Followers of Chaos gain mp depending on their allegiance. Spell system that lets you weave magic effects together. Lawful contrivances that allow PCs to create both magical items and automata. Fetishes and elemental tattoos. Awesome alternative to summoning chaos critters. Lots of great stuff in there. One of my favorite books. Not sure that I would pay $100 for it on my current salary though.

Edited by Chaot
Auto correct
  • Like 2

70/420

1 hour ago, grumbleskin said:

Well damn... I thought, compared to what I have seen, I was giving a pretty decent price for a NM/Excellent copy... hmmfpph d0h!

It is a fair price, given the market, but those kind of prices put it squarely in the collector market, not so much the gaming market. I snagged a mint copy two years ago for $60 and I had to think long and hard about it.

My guess is that if you put it up on an auction site like E-bay it will eventually sell, but it might take a few tries -- it's a pretty niche product.

Edited by Nick J.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grumbleskin said:

I might be open to taking a reasonable offer.

See, here's the thing:  a "reasonable" offer (in light of the evident price on the collectors market) is wholly outside the "reasonable" price of an older RPG book for a gamer to use; there is no overlap, at least not the way I evaluate prices.

Take me as a case in point:  I'm willing to pay $5-10 for a used softcover; add $5ish for a hardcover; add $5ish if it's a title I especially want; so, $20-ish-ish  for a hardcover I really really want.   But given you're sitting on a book that has a reasonable $100 ask, my $20ish isn't a reasonable offer.

I have quite the "collection" of game-books, but as a gamer, not a collector.  I've played most of them, and the rest I've gotten REALLY cheap (and/or to mine for content in other games I played).

There is the special case of someone who will pay collector-prices and then use it as a gaming-book.  I've never met that sort.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

As a collector of Chaosium related stuff for many decades, I have at least a decent understanding of the average selling price for many of these sorts of items.

Corum books don't come up for sale that often, but when I see them go through a normal auction (one that starts at $1 or so and goes through regular bidding) the typical final price I would expect to see would be between $35 and $60. Obviously the Corum book could go for way less or way more if either the seller or the buyer is unaware of the typical price and is in a rush to sell/buy. Unfortunately, Ebay has far fewer auctions than it used to years ago, and is now used by many sellers as a store with fixed "Buy It Now" prices that tend to be on the high side especially for "collectables". Every now and then one of those items may get purchased by a buyer who either doesn't know, doesn't care, or just wants it immediately, but most of the time those overpriced items get relisted over and over and over again.

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 4/14/2017 at 2:39 AM, Thot said:

Hm. So, can anybody describe what makes its (non-setting-specific) content... unique?

First, a correction to my earlier post: Geoff Gillan was the author of Corum; Liam Rout was the project director and I think one of the leaders of Darcsyde.

I picked my copy and had another look at it. It is certainly nicely done. Corum was intended to be a High Fantasy contrast to the darkness of Elric!/Stormbringer, set in a world menaced by Chaos but salvageable by heroic deeds across the Five Planes. Perhaps this is one reason I've not really used the material since I run a more gritty Leiber-inspired swords and sorcery campaign.

Here's some things in there:

Detailed elder races: Vadagh (rational long-lived followers of Law), Shalafen (sea people with elemental tattoos), Nadragh (the Vadagh's old rival race, all but eliminated by the Mabden) and Rhaga-Da-Kheta (a fatalistic and cowardly elder race which has embraced the inevitability of Chaos). Each has special skills and occupations.

Rules for chariots and stats for local ships for use with Sailing on the Seas of Fate ship rules (which are available in Magic World)

A nice overview and map of Corum's world, including useful little sketch-maps of some of the cities

The magic system has a Chaotic one where sorcerers combine various Chaotic effects into an impermanent Sorcerous Meld. It's a kind of wild magic. If you make a Sorcerous Meld you get a chaos allegiance point. If you make one you haven't used before, you get two. The power you can invest in sorcery is related to your chaos allegiance, and it gives you some magic points for free. There are also elaborate rules for demon summoning and pacts (which comes down to a thing taken from a victim).

Lawful followers use no sorcery but can learn the arts of supreme craftsmanship or contriving, which combines the Precepts of Quality, (eg a supremely well-crafted sword which always does 11 points of damage). Mechanics (think of clockworks which never run down) and Plane Shifting (seeing or interacting with other planes). These contriving rules are interesting and provide a good contrast to the chaotic sorcery.

A digest of commonly encountered NPCs (with stats) and specific personalities from the books

Three introductory adventures in Corum's world .

On 4/16/2017 at 6:30 AM, g33k said:

I have quite the "collection" of game-books, but as a gamer, not a collector.  I've played most of them, and the rest I've gotten REALLY cheap (and/or to mine for content in other games I played).

There is the special case of someone who will pay collector-prices and then use it as a gaming-book.  I've never met that sort.

I've bought a few things approaching 'collector' prices with the intention of running them. For example, before this recent Chaosium revival, some of the earlier Praxian materials were a little hard to find. I got a (cheap :)) copy of River of Cradles and was impressed enough with the setting of the Pavis and the Zola Fel valley to incorporate it into my campaign (stopping short of the rest of Glorantha though). After my players finished the Troubled Waters campaign in that book, I looked around for other adventures in the area. I bought an expensive boxed set of the Borderlands campaign, and also a (cheaper) copy of Shadows on the Borderlands. As it turned out however, the players only really did one adventure in Borderlands (they didn't want to work for Duke Raus, and had no need to). Oh well, maybe later.

Hi @grumbleskin - I especialliy signed up to BRP forums (which I should have done a while ago I guess) to reply to you. I'm interested, but to follow up what's been said here I'm looking for a copy to play with, not for it to sit on a shelf. In fact, if there was a PDF copy I would have gone in that direction first.

I'm in Europe, Switzerland to be specific, so it would involved some overseas postage as well. :)

I would love to sell it to you but I would have to sell it so cheap to afford the shipping it wouldn't be worth it to either of us.

I am willing to sell it for cheaper of course.

I am sorry, I was out of town all last week on a business trip. I am trying to get some money collected to buy a decent tablet. Heheh.. Selling other stuff too to get there. Sorry for the slow response.

Edited by grumbleskin

• 3 years later...
On 4/21/2017 at 1:32 PM, spicykaiju said:

Hi @grumbleskin - I especialliy signed up to BRP forums (which I should have done a while ago I guess) to reply to you. I'm interested, but to follow up what's been said here I'm looking for a copy to play with, not for it to sit on a shelf. In fact, if there was a PDF copy I would have gone in that direction first.

I'm in Europe, Switzerland to be specific, so it would involved some overseas postage as well. :)

I'm in Zurich, did you ever get a stormbringer game running?