Thot

Escaping the end of the world

13 posts in this topic

That's a campaign idea I have been nurturing for a few weeks now: At th end of the world, when Jagreen Lern's chaos hordes subjugate all of the Young Kingdoms to pave the way for the Lords Of Chaos, one rag-tag group of survivors from all over the Young Kingdoms, desperately fighting to stop the advance of the chaos forces, hold out in a fortress somewhere - with a sorcerer of some kind among them, who researches to try and open a portal to another world where  the survivors can flee before the inevitable victory of chaos.

Anyone ever done such a thing?

7 people like this

I for one would love to play in a campaign like this! 

One question, however: would the players or characters know the world is doomed before the campaign begins? (Either through the players' own knowledge or through clues previously planted in the game.) 

If the PCs know (or suspect) the outcome, I think this would change their attitudes to scenarios presented by the GM. 

I would arrange things so they (willingly or not) aid Elric in retreiving the Horn of Fate, then have a WTF moment when they realise just what they've done. Then they have a mad scramble to escape the Young Kingdoms by whatever means they can contrive. After all, eternity in Ameeron is surely better than being reduced to the very stuff of Chaos. Or maybe not ;).

Colin

Well, the players certainly would, being Stormbringer players. :) The characters might deduce it from the prevalence of chaos forces, and the sheer overwhelming number of chaos-doped enemies. The important thing here is: They need to absolutely hold off the enemy from storming the fortress (or city?) so that the sorcerer has enough time to research the necessary magic for opening that gate to another world.

Isn't Tanelorn an eternal city found in every universe? Meaning you could exit in another version of it?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Probably, but I don't believe Tanelorn would be open (or even known) to the regular Young Kingdom denizen.

If the campaign runs smoothly, I might continue it in the new world they eventually escape to.

BTW, I think a city would be a good place to have this take place, with all attempting to save all the city's inhabitants. But which one would be best? Any suggestions?

Edited by Thot

6 minutes ago, Thot said:

BTW, I think a city would be a good place to have this take place, with all attempting to save all the city's inhabitants. But which one would be best? Any suggestions?

Karlaak by the Weeping Waste is perhaps the obvious choice. Elric lives there with Zarozinia at the start of Stormbringer. It would be an interesting encounter with a "tall, moody albino whose name nobody caught."

Colin

Couple thoughts about the escape.. they could be trying to activate a Vadhagh relic. Alternatively, perhaps they are invited to speak with The Grey Lords, perhaps due to the sorcerer's attempts at opening a portal. The party could be victim to a summoning from another plane, much like Erekosë or Corum. Maybe instead of the Grey Lords a faceless avatar of Mabelode appears. Mabelode is unhappy with Arioch and is searching for pets of his own.

As for where to put it, Lormyr was the first nation to rebel against Melniboné. Someplace there might be appropriate. You could also put it in The Pyramid of Law in Bakshaan or tie in the Grey Defenders in Rignorium. Whatever you end up doing, you've got a great starting point there. I admit that I remove any presence of the albino when I've run a YK game in the past. I started doing this when some potential players complained that there was no point playing the the YK because everything was going to be absorbed back into primal chaotic soup.

Well, such a city should have a port - because that allows for a greater variety of people to conceivably look for shelter from Chaos there, and because it opens another way to leave the town. Which might be relevant, because:

I imagine the players would be among those who the sorcerer sends out during the twilight of the Young Kingdoms to find a few artifacts, spellbooks and ingredients he will need for his great spell. Possible quests would thus include:

• Defense of The City. That would probably be adventure stuff mostly at the start (and end) of the campaign, where the players can make themselves known as useful people.

• Get The Stuff. A spellbook of The Sorcerers from The Sorcerer's Isle; an amulet of Law found deep in the south in the Island of Ashaneloon, where Myshella once hid it; the Crown Of the Myyrrhn, which is deemed lost but, according to a traveller's journal, might be found in the ruins of chaos-pillaged Menii; a talon of a dragon to help tear down the interdimensional barrier to the sorcerer's destination.

• Scout The New World. The Sorcerer might be able to open a portal big and durable enough to let everybody pass through. But is the destination a place where all could live?

Re-reading the novel "Stormbringer": The Northwestern continent is not a choice, because the war that ends the world starts there, when Pan Tang and Dharijor try to conquer this part of the world, following the Dead God Darnizhaan's return.

Filkhar might be a good choice - it is far away from the initial war, and its biggest city of Raschil has a port by the Oldest Ocean. Given the purges that happen in Argimiliar after the Sack of Imryrr,  it is conceivable that a sorcerer might have fled here.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

And having re-read the novel Stormbringer, one thing is striking: Straasha, the elemental lord of water, is described as resignative. However, the other three elements are unaccounted for and are thus available as magical support for the players' faction! Maybe they would even join the effort, or at least it could be tried to convince them.

Hm. And the Beast Lords are unaccounted for, too.

Edited by Thot

Posted (edited)

Well Tanelorn is Eternal, and  Oone the Dream Thief certainly survived, probably by way of the Moon Beam Roads.

However...

It is important to note  one feature of MM's Eternal Champion fiction:  all the worlds of the Multiverse are linked in the same cycle. So Chaos was resurgent across the Multiverse, as the Balance had to be reset cosmically.

So there's no 'save haven': any plane you flee too is going to be in the middle of its own apocalypse (the raise of the Madben horde, the Granbretanian conquest,  Hitler).

Now the inevitability of  total destruction in those other worlds might not  be as dire as the Young Kingdoms; but  there's no  place not ravaged by war and madness.  Of course that probably means great opportunity for meaty gaming conflict.

Edited by 1d8+DB
grammar
1 person likes this

Hmmm. An idea.

So there's an interstitial ('Middlemarch') world, primitive and probably largely unformed, that has been ignored by the Lords of Law and Chaos.

A number of refugees, from different worlds, have gathered there, and are trying to survive under  far from ideal conditions.

Among them are some fanatical followers of Law and Chaos, who are looking to resume the war that brought them here.

Of course the danger is that at some point the Lords of the Higher Worlds might notice this little pocket universe and decide to subjugate it.

2 people like this

The Bronze Grimoire had  a spell called 'Candle Stripling' to see what great fate awaited the target

There was a throwaway comment along the lines of 'x years there will be no result as the child will be dead'

If you are able to run a long enough campaign (or have a light hand with flashbacks) the PCs might be the only people who Candle Stripling reveals Any kind of future for